J. Crew

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler

Mickey Drexler

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work for

Client Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsJcrew is an excellent company with an overwhelming amount of benefits. First of for part-time and full-time employees they offer a full five weeks of PTO, which is unheard of. Secondly they have incredible discounts for employees as well. As a company they work with the employees to find the best schedule possible, and getting time off is a breeze. There is always lost of room for promotions in the company. J.Crew easily has the best customer service team I have ever seen of any retail store in the industry.

Consin specialty departments they do not quite give extensive training where it is needed. They often throw you into a situation and you have to figure it out and learn it on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think its important that when managers or supervisors see employees with extensive skills and knowledge in particular areas, it is important for them to suggest possible jobs or promotions with HR and the employee.

Work hard, make positive changes in the area and leave with nothing to show for it.

Lead (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsThere are very few pros for working for J.Crew. The insurance is amazing and no where else will give you as much paid vacation time. The company also does a lot of incentives around the holidays, as well as random treats through out the year.

ConsThere is no accountability among the leadership staff. Management is quick to make many mistakes over and over with no apparent consequences. Many members of management have a very local mindset - they receive a brilliant worker and refuse to promote with no reason. If a member of management simply doesn't like you, they find a way to 'get rid of you'. I've also seen many cases where management has LIED on reviews and put things down that simply didn't happen and were not documented. When asked about the indiscretion, the response was, "you can't expect to receive a perfect review". in three+ years, at no point has any member of management come to me and asked where I want to go with the company. I also haven't seen this happen with fellow associates. Promoting from within is vital to every company; it costs a lot more to train and hire new people to fill a position a long standing associate could have filled had management spent time developing associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should keep sups/leads/managers etc of their team accountable. Do daily walk-thrus, check in on the lower management to see if they're sitting at their desk or actively working with the team. Require that sups/leads have (at least) monthly one-on-ones with associates, where both associate and management sign off that they met. Management needs a global mindset - if you have an outstanding associate then by all means promote them. Don't hold onto them for selfish reasons. Require that any indiscretion that shows up on a review be documented and signed by the associate so there is a reference, other wise it simply should not be there.

Great place to work!

Associate Manager (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsGreat corporate discounts, fun and friendly place to work.

ConsWorking in retail can be very stressing - comes with the business!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving the culture!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved my coworkers

Distribution Store Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Coworkers.My supervisors were considerate

ConsLong hours if you work the weekend shift

Advice to Senior ManagementThe weekend shift its brutal and non productive

Overall good

Sales/Service (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsThe people were nice and included new associates, Top notch in quality merchandise and front runner in design, Ws able to be myself and use my skills within my job, Was able to get time off when needed, Worked as a team and still had individual goals, Flexibility with school and job

ConsThere were no ways to advance in the company. I was looking to make my way into management and I never felt challenged or encouraged to reach those goals. Many of the new hires were seasonal so people did not stay long. Also, associates were not required to have a passion for the company so many people were apathetic towards the job. It is disappointing to work next to someone who wastes company time and money when you love the company you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to feel more encouraged to move up in the company. There should have been more opportunities for internal hires.

Educating and Fun

Client Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsJ.Crew is a great company to work for! They have opportunity to move up a lot within the call centers and the training really prepares you. You have the empowerment to make decisions without having to ask management always, which leaves you able to help your customer in the best way.

ConsJ.Crew's peak season can get a little insane.

Alright for a call center

Client Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsDecent pay, great management, perfect job for students

ConsLack of good resources for call center agents. Work environment is poor (cramped, loud, always too hot or too cold)

Aristocracy at its Finest

Prostwenty eight days of PTO, plus 6 paid holidays

Consdespicable pay, pathetic raises, reduced hours, no ability to be promoted without a college degree, associates are blamed for management's mistakes on a regular basis, no focus on safety, the philosophy is always quantity over quality, no training department, constantly over-hiring while simultaneously reducing hours, laying off seasonal workers every year by the thousands, even though we need some of the help afterward

Advice to Senior Managementquit pretending you respect hourly employees, we all know you do not

Easy but miscommunication

Returns Merchandisor (Former Employee)

Proseasy
    pay decent for a college student
    pto

Consinconsistencies. The supervisors were never on the same page and NEVER return phone calls

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the supervisors more training or teach them how to do the hourly jobs so they understand what is going on.

Enjoyable

Personal Shopper (Former Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsDown to earth leaders, friendly environment, room for growth, incentives, stable job, training, great co-workers, flexible schedule, variety of shifts to choose from to work with your busy life, open door policy (sups and managers are open to any suggestions and feedback) company open for suggestions to better the company, CEO is down to earth and knows what he's talking about.

ConsLong hours during the holidays (expected), tedious work at times, redundant work (at times), calming down angry customers (at least 1 every 30 calls), constant phone calls.

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Crew reviews and ratings in Lynchburg, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. Crew CEO Mickey Drexler. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by J. Crew employees.