J. Crew Reviews in Lynchburg, VA

Updated September 30, 2014
3.8

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• I was hired as a part-time Sales Support Associate, and I remained (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at J. Crew full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love J Crew because the management is amazing, and that the work experience was satisfying. Management, especially on weekends, was very nice.

Cons

No cons to think of, unless you work through a temp agency, then work is far and few but otherwise J Crew is an excellent company. Also not as much training 1 on 1 as I think would be necessary, and they seem hesitant to train employees on company equipment.

Better communication would be better but, as all bigger companies, a lack in communication always occur. I would recommend though, to take advise from employees to improve performance in warehouses.

Better than a lot of places you could work, but not by much.

Current Employee - Merchandise Processor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Processor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The schedule ranges from 5-6 days a week with plenty of opportunities for overtime whether it be at the distribution center or a sample sale. An employee receives 2 breaks a day and in conjunction with a full-time schedule can receive health care benefits, tuition compensation, an amazing employee discount (35-50%), and up to 200hrs of paid time off. A bonus is rare, but each employee receives a pay raise at every yearly evaluation along with 25 to 50 cent shift differentials. Bereavement pay is also available should you lose a love one while employed.

Cons

The main issue is the 40-50 hr a week schedule. Most of the time its hard to balance family, work, and school. Management can be distant or uncaring at times, often over loading one employee with enough work for three people. An employee will spend the majority of the shift standing on a concrete floor and will lift heavy packages (up to 30lbs) multiple times a day which can lead to pulled/torn muscles. Most of the employees who are above the regular associates but below supervisors are much of the time under qualified for their positions and only got the job due to favoritism and lack a good work ethic and organizational skills. They only tell the employees what to do instead of helping to assist in the work load. There is a clear distinction between the have and the have-nots in this company. Many of the employees in the call center walk around with an attitude like they are better than the other distribution center workers. Plus they get paid more for sitting on their butt all day and dealing with customers.

Management can be nit picky. Often consulting with an employee if their percentages (production, IQA, attendance) drops even as much as 2%. Many of the managers/supervisors talk down to regular employees and often ask in a rude manner for the employees to complete a task. In the DC, even though cell phones are not permitted on the floor but only on breaks, managers will still walk in high traffic areas scrolling, texting, or sending emails which is a safety hazard.

Work hard, make positive changes in the area and leave with nothing to show for it.

Current Employee - Lead in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Lead in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are very few pros for working for J.Crew. The insurance is amazing and no where else will give you as much paid vacation time. The company also does a lot of incentives around the holidays, as well as random treats through out the year.

Cons

There is no accountability among the leadership staff. Management is quick to make many mistakes over and over with no apparent consequences. Many members of management have a very local mindset - they receive a brilliant worker and refuse to promote with no reason. If a member of management simply doesn't like you, they find a way to 'get rid of you'. I've also seen many cases where management has LIED on reviews and put things down that simply didn't happen and were not documented. When asked about the indiscretion, the response was, "you can't expect to receive a perfect review". in three+ years, at no point has any member of management come to me and asked where I want to go with the company. I also haven't seen this happen with fellow associates. Promoting from within is vital to every company; it costs a lot more to train and hire new people to fill a position a long standing associate could have filled had management spent time developing associates.

Upper management should keep sups/leads/managers etc of their team accountable. Do daily walk-thrus, check in on the lower management to see if they're sitting at their desk or actively working with the team. Require that sups/leads have (at least) monthly one-on-ones with associates, where both associate and management sign off that they met. Management needs a global mindset - if you have an outstanding associate then by all means promote them. Don't hold onto them for selfish reasons. Require that any indiscretion that shows up on a review be documented and signed by the associate so there is a reference, other wise it simply should not be there.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Client Specialist in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jcrew is an excellent company with an overwhelming amount of benefits. First of for part-time and full-time employees they offer a full five weeks of PTO, which is unheard of. Secondly they have incredible discounts for employees as well. As a company they work with the employees to find the best schedule possible, and getting time off is a breeze. There is always lost of room for promotions in the company. J.Crew easily has the best customer service team I have ever seen of any retail store in the industry.

Cons

in specialty departments they do not quite give extensive training where it is needed. They often throw you into a situation and you have to figure it out and learn it on your own.

I think its important that when managers or supervisors see employees with extensive skills and knowledge in particular areas, it is important for them to suggest possible jobs or promotions with HR and the employee.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great corporate discounts, fun and friendly place to work.

Cons

Working in retail can be very stressing - comes with the business!

Keep driving the culture!

Loved my coworkers

Former Employee - Distribution Store Associate in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Distribution Store Associate in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Coworkers.My supervisors were considerate

Cons

Long hours if you work the weekend shift

The weekend shift its brutal and non productive

Overall good

Current Employee - Sales/Service in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales/Service in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and included new associates, Top notch in quality merchandise and front runner in design, Ws able to be myself and use my skills within my job, Was able to get time off when needed, Worked as a team and still had individual goals, Flexibility with school and job

Cons

There were no ways to advance in the company. I was looking to make my way into management and I never felt challenged or encouraged to reach those goals. Many of the new hires were seasonal so people did not stay long. Also, associates were not required to have a passion for the company so many people were apathetic towards the job. It is disappointing to work next to someone who wastes company time and money when you love the company you work for.

I would love to feel more encouraged to move up in the company. There should have been more opportunities for internal hires.

Educating and Fun

Current Employee - Client Specialist in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Client Specialist in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

J.Crew is a great company to work for! They have opportunity to move up a lot within the call centers and the training really prepares you. You have the empowerment to make decisions without having to ask management always, which leaves you able to help your customer in the best way.

Cons

J.Crew's peak season can get a little insane.

Alright for a call center

Former Employee - Client Specialist in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at J. Crew full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, great management, perfect job for students

Cons

Lack of good resources for call center agents. Work environment is poor (cramped, loud, always too hot or too cold)

Aristocracy at its Finest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time

Pros

twenty eight days of PTO, plus 6 paid holidays

Cons

despicable pay, pathetic raises, reduced hours, no ability to be promoted without a college degree, associates are blamed for management's mistakes on a regular basis, no focus on safety, the philosophy is always quantity over quality, no training department, constantly over-hiring while simultaneously reducing hours, laying off seasonal workers every year by the thousands, even though we need some of the help afterward

quit pretending you respect hourly employees, we all know you do not