J. Crew

Updated December 17, 2014
3.8

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• All part-time employees were required to work at least 8 hours on either Saturday or Sunday (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Internship

Current Employee - Retail Chief Executive Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Chief Executive Director in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Great Staff. Great environment. Amazing benefits. The discounts were pretty amazing too.

Cons

Hours were really boring and they didn't give us any breakfast. Overall it was a great amazing place to work. I would love to be part of the J Crew family in the future.

Better Management.

Casual and creative work environment, high-stress work expectations

Current Employee - Merchanding in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchanding in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great corporate discount, essentially no dresscode, valuable interactions with VP's and CEO. Good insight to the industry and quality standards. Substantial PTO allotted

Cons

Takes a very long time to climb the corporate ladder - promotions are based on time spent vs. merit/proven ability, and don't occur frequently. No bonuses, low beginning salary

Biggest issue most current employees have is the disparity between work put in and compensation given

Great job for a student! Wonderful atmosphere with great brand recognition.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

- Beautiful showroom
    - Very interesting colleagues from all walks of life, you will definitely make friends
    - Great place to learn about upscale apparel and how to provide pristine customer service

Cons

- Very strict policies / not much room for error; whatsoever.

I looked forward to going to work!

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount was great! The management team was great! Everything about my J.Crew experience was great!

Cons

It's nearly impossible to get to corporate.

Less on-call shifts!

Opportunities to fully immerse yourself.

Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are always doing their best to make the work and training environment fun and energetic. During training and all-store meetings, we would usually have group activities where some of the associates would style another associate as if they were styling a customer, which helps everybody to get an idea of the top looks of the season and how to sell the merchandise we offer. If you want to work here, you really have to like the brand and be a good representation of it; the employee discount is phenomenal because they really expect you to buy and wear J. Crew clothes in order to set a stylish "example" for customers. They're usually pretty good about not scheduling you outside your availability and granting the days off you request, with the exception of busy holidays (which is true of most retail, unless you're one of the lucky few who put in their requests WAY in advance). Associates and managers are a diverse bunch and I have encountered only a few, isolated & far-between incidents of sexism--employee HR reports are taken seriously.

Cons

I was hired as a part-time Sales Support Associate, and I remained part time even when I switched departments. I had a large availability and they scheduled me for ALL of my availability. I was part-time but still working 5 days a week, 8-9 hour shifts. If you're back-of-house (stock, merch, etc), they're going to schedule you EVERY DAY you're available, trust me. Its nice to be relied on, but I had to take a day off of my availability to catch up on some needed sleep.

Learn to balance your employees a little bit more. Its strange when there are two employees who work in the same department and are both part-time, yet one is complaining about not receiving any hours and the other is complaining about being stressed and overworked.

Great Company that takes care of employees

Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Working Enviorment, Great products, Managers are willing ro help you at all times, and Generous Employee discount.

Cons

no room for growth within company...hard to advance your career with company.

Solid Brand with Great Employee Discount

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I worked at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount! 50% five full-price items each month (they need to be wear-to-work appropriate). 30% off on all other full price items, select full price items are 60% off, and employees always get an additional 50% off of markdowns! The people here are fun and relaxed for the most part, but still organized and well-run. There's a really extensive training before you begin, so you feel prepared to sell.

Cons

Seasonal employees get very few hours unless it is between Thanksgiving and New Years'; after, I only ever worked one 4-hour shift/week, and this was the norm.

Great company, great benefits

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regarding working at the corporate headquarters: very generous vacation time, nice company 401K match, summer Fridays, creative and talented people, industry -leader CEO

Cons

Retail sector is up and down so at times can be stressful if sales are not great. It can be hard to move up, or to move to another department.

Don't overlook promoting from within over going to the outside.

Nice

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, coworkers...unlike other tetail places, store runs smoothly and you get your schedule on app.

Cons

New management has made it tedious

Great place to work part time during college.

Former Employee - Client Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility on hours, good pay, fun environment to work in. Discount was a great benefit as well.

Cons

Sometimes felt under appreciated from store manager. Associate managers also added pressure I felt was unneeded, but that's understandable since it was their full time job.

Understand that your workers might not necessarily want a career in retail, like you. It's a great place for students, actors or extra cash, but it's not for everyone.