J. Crew Reviews

Reset
2.0
J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There is a great discount on clothing (in 92 reviews)

• The employee discount was really nice as well (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On call shifts can be frustrating (in 38 reviews)

• part time even when I switched departments (in 21 reviews)

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of my co-associates are amazing, always in a good mood, and willing to help each other. 3 of my 4 managers were amazing; always finding a way to help you, upbeat, super sweet, and genuinely concerned for their employees. I loved all three of them.

Cons

Hours were very limited. Space to move up was very limited/non existent. Pay was low. One of the managers was very rude, would call you yelling at you for absolutely no reason. Gave me really bad anxiety when she was in the store. The regional manager was another person who was very rude and intimidating, she would always find something to yell at us for.

Advice to Management

Give equal amount of hours to each associate, more hours would be very helpful to a lot of us. The pay could be a bit higher because working 20 hours a week every week will barely even get you $600.

Terrible Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew full-time

Pros

- Great discount - Office is centrally located in NYC - Decent hours, although many people come in on the weekends during peak investment periods - Office closes at 1pm on Fridays during the summer (Memorial Day - Labor Day) and Christmas through New Years Eve

Cons

- The overall atmosphere is very immature and the only way to get ahead is to constantly compliment (or gossip with) senior managers on everything they do or wear (I was amazed to find this is true even at the director to senior VP level!). It felt like a high school. - Don't be expected to be judged by only your work, if you're not the right fit personality-wise you won't get ahead and it will take years to get promoted - Almost everyone works through lunch and eats at their desk - Very few minorities or diversity - Information told to HR is not confidential, no matter what they say, and it gets back to senior management... and then eventually the rest of the department (then everyone gossips about it) - Very few people seem happy there, almost every planner has been seen crying at their desk due to treatment/belittlement from others - Very high turnover (obviously people don't stay long) - Decisions are merchant-led and merchants will buy way over budget, which the Planner will then need to fix - The company is unorganized at all levels. Meetings never start on time and are regularly rescheduled. Good thing you came in over the weekend to prepare for it.

Advice to Management

If you really want to make a change and keep good employees you need to clean house from the top as that's where culture starts first. Take the employee reviews seriously. If numerous people are telling you there's a problem and they're unhappy, you should let them know you're listening and willing to make changes -- then make them.

3. Be careful who you work for

Current Employee - Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and you can get a chance to work with some great people.

Cons

In general, Jcrew is a great company to work but it depends on the department and manager. Working with multiple teams you are exposed to how pleasant everyone else's work processes are. My dept however is not. The manager is incompetent and stuck in her ways even thought times and technology has changed. Management likes to make a lot of rules but when they do not lead by example, it becomes frustrating to work with them. Micro managing is one of the big issue. The dept is micro managed down to the last minute you take for lunch and who you can eat lunch with. We are not even allowed to talk to each other about work without being interrupted by management making the working environment very unpleasant. There is no direction in the department. Lack of experience is evident when working along side management and there is absolutely no learning curve. Higher management needs to step in and assess the situation. there have been plenty of complaints about the dept and nothing has come of it. In order to excel in your career you must have the proper guidance and there is none here. When the manager disappears on the team during working hours that should be a red flag.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who work for you. If there's continuously is an issue with a person, maybe it's time to hire someone new to do that job.

5. Not what I expected.

Pros

The Discount. The Clothes. Diversity.

Cons

They want you to sell on your own but you get treated as an asistant to the stylists. Managers are not on the same page, and expect people to do way more than what they are being paid to do. At the particular location I was working, some managers seems to have gotten the position based on their connections and not overall experience. I can tell because it showed through their "management" skills. If they don't like you they cut your hours regardless of how good you are. Dress code is way too strict. Oh, and the training was very minimal (I was even asked to help train new employees and I was new myself at the time) & micromanaging was at it's finest. Coworkers can be a bit invasive with your personal life if they feel like it overlaps with work. Scheduling is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. Part-time Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

The discount on clothing was a definite perk working as a store associate. You received up to 60% off items.

Cons

The manager at the Bridgewater, NJ location was a phony. Had very little trust in/respect for employees. The pay was also very minimal. I was making $8.50 starting and after a year was given a $.25 raise. Commission was hardly anything and you were required to be "on-call" which was a very ineffective and unfair situation.

Advice to Management

My advise to the management would be to be a more genuine person to your employees and to customers. She would blatantly talk about customers a few feet away and was very condescending to her employees.

7. Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like everyone else says, the discount, but after working there for a while the cheapness of the majority of the clothing comes thru and your really unmotivated to buy anything. Also, I've met some great fellow employees I can call close friends.

Cons

Where to start. For this particular location, I've worked here for almost 4 years and my previous store director was always present and lead by example and it was great. You could go to her for anything and she would always be there to give you a valid answer or help when you asked for it. But the current store director is barely ever present and when he is its just passing by, usually out of dress code that they like to over stress so much, doesn't seem to have any clue as to what is truly going on in the store and will leave you wondering how he even got the job in the first place. The management is unsupportive and its either you stick to the corporate rules or you can leave. There is no room to hear someone out and what they may have to offer as a solution. Going above and beyond will go unnoticed unless you shout it over the walkies, and if not they'll ask you why your not doing anything. The amount of tasks given to the support team with the expectation to instantly have it done is insane. Managers are ALWAYS just standing around talking amongst themselves, especially during events, and chime in to constantly ask you why you haven't opened up 20 Jcrew credit cards for the day, even putting up a zero list of employees in the break room who haven't opened any credit cards. They used to be really flexible with hours and expect you to hand your life over then not even schedule you at all. They love to make up new rules all the time that have descended from "corporate" and tell you that all stores now are doing it without thinking we'll actually ask other store employees about it to find they've made it up.

Advice to Management

Lead more by example, stop being so condescending and on a constant power trip, management needs a complete overhaul starting with the store director

8. Sales Manager

Former Employee - Keyholder/Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Keyholder/Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at J. Crew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work if you are merchandising or in charge of visuals.

Cons

Its a large corporate company so you have no value in the companies eyes. After all the bad press this brand will suffer badly or struggle to regain customer loyalty back.

Advice to Management

Get a better attitude or get another job. No one likes it when you are in a bad mood... NO ONE!!!

9. Meh

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can be fun to interact with customers Can be fun to interact with customers Can be fun to interact with customers

Cons

- Uncertain work environment: frequent changes to policy (e.g., revoking commission for sales associates - Was sold as a happy, people-first environment; do not be fooled, it is a standard business - Insipid, uninspired products (glitter / french writing / stripes / combo of all three)

Advice to Management

Stick to your promises, remember that instore is about the shopping experience so it's probably not a good idea to exploit staff

not great

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store is clean and organized. Probably the cleanest and most organized retail store I've ever worked in, or shopped in for that matter. Starting hourly wage is reasonable compared to other retail companies.

Cons

Managers are narcissistic, incompetent airheads. They dress like slobs and act like divas. They badmouth the J Crew company on the daily. Beyond unprofessional. Sales associates are lazy, rude, disrespectful and come to work drunk or high. Class acts. Customers believe they are entitled to having the world, and are verbally abusive at times if you the lowly J Crew sales associate do not, in fact, give the world to them.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself. You're a retail manager, not a brain surgeon. And stop biting the hand that feeds you--stop criticizing the company and start repping it properly. Be a better example to sales associates. And take more pride in your appearance. Don't expect associates to follow the dress code if you don't even follow it yourself.

Unless you're a manager or an experienced stylist.. not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous Discount Cute Clothes Employee Contests Occasional free snacks/food

Cons

strict dress code pressure to meet ridiculous sales goals and open cards. no incentives at all understaffed majority of the time clients usually have weird requests closing takes forever

Advice to Management

schedule more people if you don't want to struggle throughout the day & be stuck closing for an extra half an hour

RSS Feed </> Embed