J. Crew

www.jcrew.com

J. Crew Reviews

Pros
  • Enthusiastic coworkers, encouraging supervisors, great discount(in 81 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees(in 34 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time(in 19 reviews)

A fun atmosphere where I can where I can experience fashion from the retail point of view.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe associate discount is remarkable, the opportunities are pretty good if I were to continue working there. The consideration for employees needs is wonderful.

ConsThe on-call slots can be inconvenient with an already busy schedule and sometimes the constant go go without a minute to rest can be wearing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as leadership goes I think for the most part, every trys their best to create a sense of equality and fairness that is amicable in the workplace.

It was OK, but not great for a long career

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) Greenwich, CT

ProsGreat discount when I worked there, meet diverse group of people and the visual merchandising can be fun at times

ConsPoor management, too high turnover, hard to get into corporate position, horrible hours.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain and retain quality people with a competitive salaries

Good

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work environment was very energetic and great. Also, there were excellent discounts that I took advantage of many times.

ConsFor me, a major con was the lack of room for growth. I made it clear during interview that I was seeking long term growth. After several years, nothing but a small raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management of J Crew is great at motivating and leading the group. However, they seem to not care much about the employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's better than most retail positions

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsFlexible hours, higher starting pay than most retail positions, discount is great, very easy job

Consvery little opportunity to move up within the company, no commission on regular sales, corporate took away commission on new credit card applications

Vert satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFast pace, time flies when you're on the floor. Employee perks.

ConsMall hours can be a pain

A fun workplace because I love the brand.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsI like the work environment and the other associates and sales support as well as management are all quality people. The quality of the clothing is excellent and I love that the main focus is creating an experience for our customers that reflects J. Crew as a company.

ConsSometimes the on call system is a little frustrating when trying to plan or schedule things. There are also times when business is pretty slow, but that's common in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep sales associates and sales support up to date with expectations and also with things that corporate wants to emphasize. Encouragement is also a plus!

Great work culture and excellent team work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployee Benefits package is great.
    Compensation
    associate discounts are awesome
    casual work culture allows associates to work in a relaxed but highly motivated environment.
    Team support
    Time-off

ConsA few technologies in place for technology job roles are outdated.
    Technology department should look for upgrading the existing ones and deploying latest technologies.
    Need to be process oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT department should have an aggressive approach to adapt to new technologies.
    Over all it is a great opportunity to work for J.Crew.

J.Crew is a great place to expand ones product knowledge and to gain experience in the retail field.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsYour co-workers are generally friendly. Most are very down-to-earth and understand that everyone is working towards a common goal. If you work at a larger store, getting the time off that you need can be quite easy. The managerial staff is generally quite knowledgeable and willing to explain. Some of the personal shoppers are completely consumed with the world of J.Crew, this is rather refreshing and provides a positive working environment. If you're working full time at J.Crew, the benefits can be quite helpful - full time employees receive on average 20 payed days off a year and health/dental care plans are offered at a discounted price. Finally, the associate discount might just be the biggest plus. Employees receive 30% off regularly priced items, 50% off sale item, 5 wear-to-work items a month at 50% off, and there is also "The 60's List" - a list with various items (both in store and online at 60-75% off).

ConsCompetition when selling is never a fun thing. Some of the associates are very serious about their daily goals and will stop at nothing to get there. I, personally have never been involved in an elevated situation selling-wise, but I have definitely witnessed many. The dress code can be quite ridiculous. Employees are required to wear a "third piece" when wearing jeans. This "third piece" is a jacket or cardigan. This can be a nuisance while working in the southern California area (yes, the weather is usually nice, but we all have those days...). The store can get very hot and forcing employees to wear layer upon layer of clothing is borderline cruel. Another downside is the scheduling. If you work at a small J.Crew location it can be virtually impossible to get a shift covered. I've also encountered some favoritism at my J.Crew. The managers tend to become close with the personal shoppers, you can't blame them, they are both full time positions and therefore spend a lot of time together by default. The only bothersome thing about this is favoritism when faced with making the schedule. Personal shoppers, or just well-liked employees, will receive prime selling shifts while everyone else is left with closing shifts. Finally, the commission system is not all it's cracked up to be. Unless you are selling MASSIVE amounts of product per day, you won't see much difference at all in your weekly paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers at J.Crew are all quite experienced in the retail field. In my almost five year employment period at J.Crew, I have never met a manager that I haven't liked. Managers are extremely well-versed on product, conduct and procedures. The only advice that I could offer would to be a little more understanding when it comes to selling. To compare a part time sales associates to a full time Personal Shopper is unreasonable and unfair. The associates, most of them any way, try very hard to make their goals and sell the product that they themselves truly love - please try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Satisfied as a temporary position.

Assistant Planner- Freelancer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsJ. Crew is a great company with hard working employees that pull out results and drives you to work at your best.

ConsThere isn't much positive reinforcement or training given by the department which can be difficult for new hires and constant contractors who come in & out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be a good idea to provide a more structured training program for new hires and contracts. In addition, there should be some positive reinforcement to encourage and provide validation to the employees so they know they are doing a good job.

Exciting!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsAll of the different people you meet and make strong bonds with.
    Yes, it's work, but it's fun to work.

ConsIt's a little competitive which can get stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think our store needs leadership advice because they are just so comforting and encouraging.

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!