J. Crew Reviews

3.8

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • Enthusiastic coworkers, encouraging supervisors, great discount (in 82 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 35 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

A fun atmosphere where I can where I can experience fashion from the retail point of view.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

The associate discount is remarkable, the opportunities are pretty good if I were to continue working there. The consideration for employees needs is wonderful.

Cons

The on-call slots can be inconvenient with an already busy schedule and sometimes the constant go go without a minute to rest can be wearing.

As far as leadership goes I think for the most part, every trys their best to create a sense of equality and fairness that is amicable in the workplace.

It was OK, but not great for a long career

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser  in  Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Greenwich, CT

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Great discount when I worked there, meet diverse group of people and the visual merchandising can be fun at times

Cons

Poor management, too high turnover, hard to get into corporate position, horrible hours.

train and retain quality people with a competitive salaries

Good

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

The work environment was very energetic and great. Also, there were excellent discounts that I took advantage of many times.

Cons

For me, a major con was the lack of room for growth. I made it clear during interview that I was seeking long term growth. After several years, nothing but a small raise.

The management of J Crew is great at motivating and leading the group. However, they seem to not care much about the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's better than most retail positions

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Flexible hours, higher starting pay than most retail positions, discount is great, very easy job

Cons

very little opportunity to move up within the company, no commission on regular sales, corporate took away commission on new credit card applications

Vert satisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Fast pace, time flies when you're on the floor. Employee perks.

Cons

Mall hours can be a pain

A fun workplace because I love the brand.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

I like the work environment and the other associates and sales support as well as management are all quality people. The quality of the clothing is excellent and I love that the main focus is creating an experience for our customers that reflects J. Crew as a company.

Cons

Sometimes the on call system is a little frustrating when trying to plan or schedule things. There are also times when business is pretty slow, but that's common in retail.

Just keep sales associates and sales support up to date with expectations and also with things that corporate wants to emphasize. Encouragement is also a plus!

Great work culture and excellent team work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Employee Benefits package is great.
    Compensation
    associate discounts are awesome
    casual work culture allows associates to work in a relaxed but highly motivated environment.
    Team support
    Time-off

Cons

A few technologies in place for technology job roles are outdated.
    Technology department should look for upgrading the existing ones and deploying latest technologies.
    Need to be process oriented.

IT department should have an aggressive approach to adapt to new technologies.
    Over all it is a great opportunity to work for J.Crew.

J.Crew is a great place to expand ones product knowledge and to gain experience in the retail field.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Your co-workers are generally friendly. Most are very down-to-earth and understand that everyone is working towards a common goal. If you work at a larger store, getting the time off that you need can be quite easy. The managerial staff is generally quite knowledgeable and willing to explain. Some of the personal shoppers are completely consumed with the world of J.Crew, this is rather refreshing and provides a positive working environment. If you're working full time at J.Crew, the benefits can be quite helpful - full time employees receive on average 20 payed days off a year and health/dental care plans are offered at a discounted price. Finally, the associate discount might just be the biggest plus. Employees receive 30% off regularly priced items, 50% off sale item, 5 wear-to-work items a month at 50% off, and there is also "The 60's List" - a list with various items (both in store and online at 60-75% off).

Cons

Competition when selling is never a fun thing. Some of the associates are very serious about their daily goals and will stop at nothing to get there. I, personally have never been involved in an elevated situation selling-wise, but I have definitely witnessed many. The dress code can be quite ridiculous. Employees are required to wear a "third piece" when wearing jeans. This "third piece" is a jacket or cardigan. This can be a nuisance while working in the southern California area (yes, the weather is usually nice, but we all have those days...). The store can get very hot and forcing employees to wear layer upon layer of clothing is borderline cruel. Another downside is the scheduling. If you work at a small J.Crew location it can be virtually impossible to get a shift covered. I've also encountered some favoritism at my J.Crew. The managers tend to become close with the personal shoppers, you can't blame them, they are both full time positions and therefore spend a lot of time together by default. The only bothersome thing about this is favoritism when faced with making the schedule. Personal shoppers, or just well-liked employees, will receive prime selling shifts while everyone else is left with closing shifts. Finally, the commission system is not all it's cracked up to be. Unless you are selling MASSIVE amounts of product per day, you won't see much difference at all in your weekly paycheck.

The managers at J.Crew are all quite experienced in the retail field. In my almost five year employment period at J.Crew, I have never met a manager that I haven't liked. Managers are extremely well-versed on product, conduct and procedures. The only advice that I could offer would to be a little more understanding when it comes to selling. To compare a part time sales associates to a full time Personal Shopper is unreasonable and unfair. The associates, most of them any way, try very hard to make their goals and sell the product that they themselves truly love - please try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Satisfied as a temporary position.

Current Employee - Assistant Planner- Freelancer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Planner- Freelancer in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

J. Crew is a great company with hard working employees that pull out results and drives you to work at your best.

Cons

There isn't much positive reinforcement or training given by the department which can be difficult for new hires and constant contractors who come in & out.

It would be a good idea to provide a more structured training program for new hires and contracts. In addition, there should be some positive reinforcement to encourage and provide validation to the employees so they know they are doing a good job.

Exciting!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

All of the different people you meet and make strong bonds with.
    Yes, it's work, but it's fun to work.

Cons

It's a little competitive which can get stressful at times.

I don't think our store needs leadership advice because they are just so comforting and encouraging.

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!