J. Crew

Updated December 19, 2014
3.8

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• All part-time employees were required to work at least 8 hours on either Saturday or Sunday (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Regional Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at J. Crew full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clothing discount is generous, young and hip atmosphere,

Cons

I completely believe that J.Crew is a great place to work in other places other than Ontario. But there are large pieces to the people puzzle missing, or darn-right wrong, when it comes to J.Crew Canada. They company itself has paid large sums of money: flights, training documents and hours of training to instill a "people first", "creative" and "inspirational" management within stores. But there is absolutely no one holding these managers accountable to ensuring that the training lives within the stores. Unless you're doing it for the money or the power, there is no incentive to stay in the company as a manager. You can learn things, but there is no development. And a company that doesn't know the difference between learning and development cannot be successful in building a successful international business within Canada.

Look at your managerial turnover rates. I would suggest you create a safe forum and interview these candidates as to why they left and I'm sure you will find commonalities in their reasoning.
    There is no reason why J.Crew in Ontario should be considered a laughing stock for their managerial staff. And truly, this is not a malicious attack on the company, but upper management needs to reconcile with what's going on in Toronto. Your future business depends on it.

Culture and Leadership

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at J. Crew full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talk a good talk about doing the right thing and integrity, however it is not demonstrated by senior leadership. Favoritism and cliques.

Cons

Compensation and culture are not conducive to a best in class environment. no growth opportunitiy.

Get leaders with direction and integrity.

Disgusting working atmosphere

Former Employee - Security Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing good to say about working here

Cons

Management treat you like dirt, they dont even care about you, all they want is their money. No benefits at all since ive worked there, most stuff are also stuck up and dont want to even talk to you unless your a customer. Didnt enjoy it at all.

Care for you workers as well as management team, they are just as important to the business

Good at first..

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team environment, discount, experience for new grads

Cons

Poor work schedule, heavy work load, stressful, and salary

Salary and bonuses need to be re-structured as the retail climate has changed. Workload is heavier than ever and we are not being compensated for the additional work.

GOOD FOR EXPERIENCE ONLY

Current Employee - Corporate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy most aspects of working here. Salary is ok. Vacation and sick leave good and other benefits like discount and insurance are also nice. Summer Friday's a big plus.

Cons

Back stabbing and unprofessional behavior running rampant. Fear and intimidation tactics used in Corporate. In my Dept, employees are like a revolving door. We fear each day and office culture is very poor

Strongly suggest you look under your sheets to see the harm that is being done. Low morale is rising. You are better than this, and being complacent makes you just as guilty. You are loosing good people.

Lacks creativity

Former Employee - Sales Support in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Glendale, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working at J. Crew is the employee discount and sales.

Cons

If you're interested in the retail display at J. Crew, don't expect much. They'll give you the title, "sales support", but it's mundane work of a normal retail sales associate. The "visual" part of J.Crew is when that you have to rearrange shelves based on a set of instructions the company gives each store. Along with a box of items to display at the store. There is no creative freedom, and the "visual" part of the job, which is called a "roll out" happens every season or couple months.

Please post schedules on time. I received my schedule only a week prior to my schedule, sometimes only 1-2 days before. Unprofessional and quite annoying.

Work hard, make positive changes in the area and leave with nothing to show for it.

Current Employee - Lead in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Lead in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are very few pros for working for J.Crew. The insurance is amazing and no where else will give you as much paid vacation time. The company also does a lot of incentives around the holidays, as well as random treats through out the year.

Cons

There is no accountability among the leadership staff. Management is quick to make many mistakes over and over with no apparent consequences. Many members of management have a very local mindset - they receive a brilliant worker and refuse to promote with no reason. If a member of management simply doesn't like you, they find a way to 'get rid of you'. I've also seen many cases where management has LIED on reviews and put things down that simply didn't happen and were not documented. When asked about the indiscretion, the response was, "you can't expect to receive a perfect review". in three+ years, at no point has any member of management come to me and asked where I want to go with the company. I also haven't seen this happen with fellow associates. Promoting from within is vital to every company; it costs a lot more to train and hire new people to fill a position a long standing associate could have filled had management spent time developing associates.

Upper management should keep sups/leads/managers etc of their team accountable. Do daily walk-thrus, check in on the lower management to see if they're sitting at their desk or actively working with the team. Require that sups/leads have (at least) monthly one-on-ones with associates, where both associate and management sign off that they met. Management needs a global mindset - if you have an outstanding associate then by all means promote them. Don't hold onto them for selfish reasons. Require that any indiscretion that shows up on a review be documented and signed by the associate so there is a reference, other wise it simply should not be there.

Unpleasant to say the Least

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Few good co workers

Cons

Management makes jokes about LGBTQ and sexually harass women in the work place.
    I now work in an environment which I'm uncomfortable in while looking for other employment.

Screen your managers, and your HR representatives because they are rude and would not hear my complaint.

Not a great company to work!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful clothes, interesting manegers, the employees there are good people.

Cons

Expect on call shifts every week, sometimes if you're scheduled and ready to go expect a call not to come in. Luck of communications between managers.

Be realistic about your store expectations, the wrong people continually get rewarded.
    Treat you're employees like humans.

The managers were rude and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a great discount on clothing
    They give alright hours
    The location is convenient
    They pay in the middle range
    Other associates are nice and friendly

Cons

The management was rude, they did nothing and worked you hard. They were racist and instructed us to racially profile.

Diversity training, teach them how to be polite.