J. Crew Reviews

788 reviews filtered by
3.8
J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• All part-time employees were required to work at least 8 hours on either Saturday or Sunday (in 21 reviews)

1. I have never felt so abused and worthless to a company before.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Assistant, Part-Time Sales/Support in Boston, MA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount incentives, fellow associates and a handful of managers are awesomely fun.

Cons

Terribly ineffective management, I.e. Lack of communication between managers, passive aggressive, condescending hostility from managers toward associates and no accountability for managers.
    They give you the run around when you try to negotiate your availability or pursuing other opportunities such as transferring to another store or another position.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to listen to the pleas of its associates and weed out the awful managers that tarnish their stores and what could be an enjoyable work environment.

Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

From time to time you can pick up some great final sales clothing with staff discount.

Cons

J Crew has recently taken away commission from Sales Associates and has yet to offer any pay increase. Management states that the company has not performed as well as expected recently and has has to cut commission to from sales associates. This provides incentive to drive sales as an employee despite increasingly demanding sales goals.

Also, scheduling is vary varied. During the winter hours are minimal and cannot be relied upon for regular income. Expect on call shifts where you have to call 2 hours before the shift to find out if they need you. This proves very difficult when trying to fit in other commitments with such uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Reinstate sales associates commission and lower the prices of stock. Do not punish the staff for poor company performance. People are not buying the product because it is too expensive for what it is.

3. Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're into the clothing you then the discount other than that nothing

Cons

Snobby workers and customers, poor scheduling, hard to advance in company, give poor directions

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers to run your stores talk to some of the employees about of they like it there or see if they have any problems

This is honestly the worst job I've ever had, and I've had some bad jobs...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

free outfit when you start
    great discount (1/2 off of sale especially)
    ok coworkers
    customers are great 9 times out of 10

Cons

-you'll be given almost no hours a week most of the year and many shifts will be on call (which means you have to be available at that time...but you won't be working)
    -in many situations you'll be set up for failure
    -I'm leaving because I can't deal with the straight up bullying from management at the store I work with anymore. They trash talk employees (I know they trash talk and start fights and gossip about me behind my back because they do this to literally every other employee), gossip, and try to start stuff with other employees. They do this to everyone and aren't to be trusted, and it sucks working for someone like that it makes going to work a drag. I can deal with bad customers, I'm a salesperson and love my job, but I draw the line at bad management and this job depends 100% on who your managers are.
    - management at all stores doesn't seem to know how to schedule people. Just because someone is a great salesperson doesn't mean they're a good leader or manager.
    - you'll get the occasional horrible customer, which isn't so bad, but management will always take their side and won't help you if you're new and start to struggle.

short summary: this is an ok job if you have good management that you get along with, but the work atmosphere is so horrible and based on manipulation and bullying via the management that it's not worth working here for low pay. If you're like me and want to just do your job, you can find better places to work at.

Advice to Management

Upper management really really needs to check up on store management every few months. Wether a CEO comes in themselves, or they send out an anonymous email to all employees. Since this job is 100% dependent upon management, and so many of them are great salespeople but horrible managers, the best thing to do would be to keep everyone checked up on. I watched 2 of our best people who always got mystery shopper compliments get fired just because the management didn't like them as people, that's not right and that kind of clique-y, micro-managing atmosphere creates so much fear.

Also, get rid of on-call shifts and make rules for the min/max number of hours one person can work a week. It's really old to keep hearing one person only get 4 hours a week complain while someone else is complaining about getting over 40 hours a week. It could also help to have more in-depth training for associates, especially if they have less of a background in what they're employed for (ie: if it's someone's first job they'll need a little more hands on help than someone who's worked in retail for years, or the booklet/roleplaying training that J.Crew currently has). Training really just needs to be having a a new person shadow someone else for two weeks, not acting out a script for two days. Management really, really needs to chat-in employees every single time on this note- how am I supposed to sell the Toothpick pants as well as you if I know nothing about them other than that they're comfortable and look kind of different from the other pants?

Do not trust upper management or lower management. NO life work balance. NO respect.

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Great discount... when you have the pennies they give you to spend.

Cons

No consideration for employees. I was threatened by my store manager that I would never be able to move up if I took the time off that I requested, was never allowed to take the PTO that I was given in my contract when I wanted to take it, even if I was the only person that was going to be out. Overheard upper level management saying that it was good all three managers were leaving (quitting the store) because it was time for the new SD to have her own team. Absolutely disgusting. Oh, and don't worry about calling "open talk" their company help line. Does absolutely NOTHING. Good luck moving up... you'll be blocked for an interview every chance you get, and enjoy making pennies while your rude SD gets paid to take all her PTO whenever she pleases.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

7. Management is disorganized and do not want to see you succeed

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at J. Crew part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts are generous, scheduling is quite flexible. Managers were amazing AT FIRST. When the Eaton Centre location first opened, the management team was amazing. Too bad they've all left over the course of the past 2 years.

Cons

No growth, current management is terribly disorganized. There are way too many political things going on. I've seen some good talent driven away because of the management that refuses to promote up. They would rather hire and train new employees. This is all well and good except for when you hire in a new person into a position that someone else had already been working to attain. There are favourites. If you don't suck up, you will be forgotten. On-call shifts are very common, almost assigned more often than confirmed shifts.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to why good managers keep leaving. The political nonsense is driving away a lot of talent. Also, managers need to communicate with employees more effectively, to ensure that company-wide standards are being upheld. There were a lot of inconsistencies in how rules and guidelines were enforced.

8. Very busy - not enough hands on deck

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

They have really good health benefits

Cons

Management really sucks here

Advice to Management

Treat people like u would want to be treated

9. Management stifles growth

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Great employee discount on products

Cons

Long hours and short on staff

Advice to Management

Reevaluate floor civerage and staff

Regional Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Associate Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at J. Crew full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clothing discount is generous, young and hip atmosphere,

Cons

I completely believe that J.Crew is a great place to work in other places other than Ontario. But there are large pieces to the people puzzle missing, or darn-right wrong, when it comes to J.Crew Canada. They company itself has paid large sums of money: flights, training documents and hours of training to instill a "people first", "creative" and "inspirational" management within stores. But there is absolutely no one holding these managers accountable to ensuring that the training lives within the stores. Unless you're doing it for the money or the power, there is no incentive to stay in the company as a manager. You can learn things, but there is no development. And a company that doesn't know the difference between learning and development cannot be successful in building a successful international business within Canada.

Advice to Management

Look at your managerial turnover rates. I would suggest you create a safe forum and interview these candidates as to why they left and I'm sure you will find commonalities in their reasoning.
    There is no reason why J.Crew in Ontario should be considered a laughing stock for their managerial staff. And truly, this is not a malicious attack on the company, but upper management needs to reconcile with what's going on in Toronto. Your future business depends on it.

Culture and Leadership

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at J. Crew full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talk a good talk about doing the right thing and integrity, however it is not demonstrated by senior leadership. Favoritism and cliques.

Cons

Compensation and culture are not conducive to a best in class environment. no growth opportunitiy.

Advice to Management

Get leaders with direction and integrity.