J. Crew Reviews

Reset
3.7
J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There is a great discount on clothing (in 92 reviews)

• The employee discount was really nice as well (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On call shifts can be frustrating (in 38 reviews)

• part time even when I switched departments (in 21 reviews)

Great Quality and Clothing! Not Great Quality in Management

Former Employee - Sales in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Chandler, AZ

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

- the discount is amazing. - the quality and style of J Crew is tops. - co workers are great and make working at J Crew fun. - it is a relaxed working atmosphere

Cons

- the same management type is at every store. Management whom are overworked and to busy to give feedback and trainging to their employees because their main focus is to get ahead in the company or make their bonuses. - Management who are not trained properly themselves. They have no clue what HR is! No support from the Management for movement or wage increases.

Advice to Management

- Please begin a comprehensive training for Management. If you have such a program it is not shown with the management I have worked with. - Please begin to hire management who have ethics and morals not just a dedication to J Crew with power mongering intentions. - Allow your managers to be able to treat their store as their own business. This will better fit the dempgraphics of the store and may be able to gain more customers. I will not say if Mickey Drexler is doing a good job or not because, my main focus was management, and that is not where his speciality is. I believe his managers in Personel and HR are where they need to have more innovation. Help the managers stay motivated in their jobs, have monthly training focuses, and most of all make sure that the managers in the stores are reviewing their sales associates work preformance.

Wow. It's Bad Here.

Current Employee - Sales Support in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Arlington, VA

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Excellent Discount Don't like working at all? Work here, they can guarantee zero hours.

Cons

Expect on call shifts everyday, everyweek you request to work. Tremendously high turnover rate for sales associate. No training for personal shoppers. Strange managers. Very strange managers and extremely unprofessional. Managers would ignore their employees 100% if they had a chance. And they do try hard too.

Advice to Management

Where are you? Besides in the office and on vacation. FYI this is my job, I would like to get hours and feel part of a company.

The concept of "On Call" shifts is akin to indentured slave labor

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

- If you are subsidized by your parents and only want great discounts on clothes - in other words, you really don't need a job but want to look good - this is the place for you. - Great clothing discounts - if you must have the clothes

Cons

- Too many "on call" shifts .... To be "on call" for three or four shifts a week, while at the same time being scheduled for only four actual hours of work, reflects an insidious lack of respect for employees. This alarming trend in retail – and particularly with J. Crew – is indicative of an economic volatility that has rendered jobs a scarce commodity. Employers now feel that they can treat employees as indentured slaves. - "Personal shoppers" are aloof, nasty, and uncommunicative. Most are poised at the fitting rooms to pounce on potential customers which in turn, creates a lot of tension on the sales floor among sales associates. - Stores have their own little clicks of workers - similar to a frat house mentality - if you don't immediately fit in, you never will. If these same people are in league with management, you may very well be doomed to "on call" shifts for perpetuity.

Advice to Management

Learn how to put together a real schedule without "on call" shifts. Monitor what is really happening on the sales floor.

J. Crew is an Awful Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Support in South Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Support in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

I really enjoy the discount and some of the great people that I have met while working there. It is in a good location and is generally a good environment. The clothes are very nice and the stores are beautiful.

Cons

Childish behavior from managers Theft among managers Gossip about associates among managers No respect No Hours Managers invading privacy of part time associates

Advice to Management

Fire Everyone and try again. You need new managers. There is no one working there who is fit to be a manager of a store. it is a very immature and childish environment. There is not enough communication among managers about work related issues.

Horrible, worst job ever. If I didnt need the money I wouldnt have been there.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Windsor, CT

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

The discount. That is it. There is really nothing positive about this location, I would not tell anyone to work here, it is really a miserable place to work, there are much better part time jobs out there.

Cons

EVERYTHING. The managers are less than satisfactory, the good ones always leave or get moved to a different store and then we are still stuck with the managers that are constantly yelling at us or having talks with us in the office over things that they should just let go of. Some of us have been with the company for many years but are treated like we are brand new, and the high rate of turnover is unstable for the employees. The customers do not like this location because of management issues and all of my coworkers hate it because of management.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Treat us with respect. It wont kill you to smile. TRAIN US!

Unfair

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

The benefits package at Jcrew is fair and trying to have a balance with personal and professional life.

Cons

Akot of favortism and "cliques", if you don't fit into a certain "criteria' a certain "look" you are not appreciated or promoted. If you have any feedback it is not received well. Some associates are praised for everything they do and some never receive any feedback unless it is negative. Discipline is not consistent, some associates are given chance after chance, and some are not. A work ethic is not appreciated,you cannot be individual, you have to conform to the company.

Advice to Management

Be conisitent and fair.

My experience with the new J. Crew outlet store in OpryMills Mall is horrible!

Current Employee - J Crew Sales in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - J Crew Sales in Nashville, TN

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

The only positive thing that I may say about J. Crew, is the fact the associates get an amazing discount. The job is very, very easy.

Cons

Here is the downside about working for J. Crew. The pay is HORRIBLE!!! We as associates are barely making ends meet. The DM has changed their mind about giving fulltime to assoicates, even though we are still working fulltime hours. The level of respect from management to the associates, is down right rude, condensending and unfair. We are all grown ups that work in the store, but we are snooped upon and spoken to like we are children. We are made to feel very dumb and plain stupid. We as associates in this store, find the upper management to be very, very snobby and ill mannered. I have worked in retail for 17 years, and this job ranks as one of the worst jobs I have had. We work so hard in that store and we get the J. Crew cards and we are never given thanks. We worked over nights last week for the CEO to show up. He showed up alright, just not in our store. We were the last on his list and he had to catch his personal jet back home to NY. Talk about a major let down"(

Advice to Management

My advice to managers- read the con section of this review.

Uncomfortable

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits in regards to PTO days and health benefits. The ability to meet some great people and make some new friends.

Cons

This box cannot contain all the cons to working for JCrew. I am aware that call centers can have cliques and friends but this is ridiculous. Jobs not being posted and given to upper managements friends. special treatment for those that hang out and drink with the managers. Working hard is not appreciated, and is often taken advantage of in this company. There are double standards for associates and leadership, I have seen some people get fired for the smallest infraction, and some people have been given several chances. Their is no leadership development in place which often leads to the company losing good associates to other companies. Probably 75% of the employees are looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an over haul of management, there are some in those positions that have no people skills or leadership skills. There are some that are excellent, however they are overlooked because they do not conform to the norm. Mickey you need to make some surprise visits so that the associates are not "coached" on what to and what not to say to you, so you could get the truth. That is if you want to know the truth.

Aristocracy at its Finest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at J. Crew full-time

Pros

twenty eight days of PTO, plus 6 paid holidays

Cons

despicable pay, pathetic raises, reduced hours, no ability to be promoted without a college degree, associates are blamed for management's mistakes on a regular basis, no focus on safety, the philosophy is always quantity over quality, no training department, constantly over-hiring while simultaneously reducing hours, laying off seasonal workers every year by the thousands, even though we need some of the help afterward

Advice to Management

quit pretending you respect hourly employees, we all know you do not

Great Company, Awful HR Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew full-time

Pros

J.Crew is a great company to work for but their human resources department is completely incompetent. They are slow, rude and often confused. It seems as if they do not want to be working in HR and would rather be working in another department within the company which as you can imagine means they don't do their job very well. I received an offer but was more than disappointed in the way they handled things over a 4 week interview process.

Cons

Incompetent human resources department. An awful first glance into the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed