J. Crew Reviews

1. Good place to work.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Good place and people to work.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about my experience there.

Advice to Management

Can to better and more communicative.

2. Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time

Pros

It's a fun store to work at and you have good discounts as an employee!

Cons

Working part-time your hours vary every week and you are on call.

3. J.Crew is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Good place to work. Professional environment. Decent starting salary. Fantastic employee discounts.

Cons

I absolutely hate that they have "on-call" schedules for employees. "On-call" means they schedule their employees for tentatives days to work and you have to call 2 hours prior to their tentative shifts and ask if they need to come in or not. I do not like putting my days on hold just to find out I don't have to work. Also, they are required to schedule you for 2 on-calls per week.

Advice to Management

Please remove the on-call policy. It is so inconvenient to employees and I do think it is fair.

5. JCrew Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at J. Crew part-time

Pros

Nice customers and fellow employees

Cons

Unprofessional management and long hours

6. Not bad

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Good people and awesome discounts.

Cons

Weak pay, hours and management

7. Great Part-time Job

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Flexible schedule for a retail job, great people to work with!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about working a part-time retail job at J.Crew

8. Support Associate

I worked at J. Crew part-time

Pros

The discount is hands down fantastic, all my other retail friends are jealous. Associates are given such a huge discount on clothes because the brand expects you to represent them as you're working there; if you're on the floor, you must be in dress code or, depending on how strict the current manager is, you may be asked to buy something or to leave for the day (those who aren't on the floor, such as stock associates or Admins, as well as associates who have been there a while, get a little more leeway). You are overall expected to know and speak honestly of the merchandise you're selling, so all associates should be checking the site and reading the catalogs on a regular basis. We're also given guidebooks/lookbooks around the changing of the seasons with details on the fits of certain items, how to best style them, etc.
    I've worked at this store for three years, and the first two years went wonderfully. Training is paid and pretty thorough. Established associates are almost always willing to step in and help new associates. Management rarely has to take any serious discipline; mistakes are mostly dealt with smoothly.
    When I first started out, my hours were pretty inconsistent and I had a few on-calls a week. Once you establish yourself, however, management gives you more hours. There may be a bit of favoritism around, but overall there weren't any irritating kinds of office politics.

Cons

J. Crew expects you to put customer service first and foremost..... most of the time. Over this past year, I've noticed that management became rather inconsistent with this creed. A few of them have simply given up. When I first started, the expectation was that you would go around helping customers to the fullest extent, and only service the floor if there were any around. Nowadays, management zones you and expects you to maintain the floor and only help customers if they're in your area. I think its to help the end-of-day close each night, but it IS a different approach and it is hurting their business slightly.
    My biggest gripe with J. Crew is how absolutely spoiled their customers become. The return policy for online purchases is 60 days, and while we're fine with going a couple days over, I've frequently had to deal with customers trying to make returns that were 6 months, 8 months, or even a year past their purchase date. I'd respectfully decline the return, citing our policy, and would usually hear "but ____ does this for me all the time! oh well, i'll just bring it back when [s]he's here." Half the managers would tell me to keep doing it because its good customer service, the other half would stick to our policies and scold anyone who breaks them (because it ends up costing us a lot of money).
    There's also the issue of multiple discounts. When I started, sales were rare: we had the sale section that only ever reached 30% off, and very occasional 25% off x times around holidays like Memorial Day etc. Otherwise, everyone paid full price or used only their 15% off student/teacher discount. NOW, however, new items go on sale after 3 weeks. I'm always having customers who come in when the new collections hit, try them all on, and come back in two weeks to buy them when they're on sale. for 40-50% off the sale price. And use their student discounts on top of it. Its frustrating, and we can't do anything about it on the retail level because the majority of associates agree with the customers that yeah, its better to just wait til its on sale. The quality of the merchandise has been declining and just won't sell full price, which is embarrassing to the retail associates to have to be dealing with.
    Management used to be good at handling people's schedules, but with less people now working for my store, they've been declining requested days off more and more. I've had to make ridiculous last minute arrangements because I wasn't given the day off despite requesting so months in advance, and I'm not alone in this. I understand that we need people to work, but with so much notice, it should be the responsibility of management to move shifts around for coverage.
    Overall, working here just isn't as nice as it was two years ago. I would still recommend working here, but take the older positive reviews on this site with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

BE CONSISTENT. Are you siding with the policies or with the customer's demands? Also, please be kinder to your associates. Its better to give someone the day off on a busy day than to have them quit altogether because of frustration.

9. Sales Associate

I worked at J. Crew part-time

Pros

Great team, great discount, great summer job during college

Cons

Not many hours in the summer

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Visual Merchandising Team

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Hillside, NJ
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Hillside, NJ

I worked at J. Crew (More than a year)

Pros

Employeee Discounts are very generous.

Cons

Management can be a little off sometimes

Advice to Management

Try to accomodate employee scheduling

11. Salary

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time

Pros

Discount is amazing. Good experience

Cons

Hours vary. One week you may have 25 hours. The next you'll only have 10

RSS Feed </> Embed