J. Crew

J. Crew Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler

Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • Enthusiastic coworkers, encouraging supervisors, great discount (in 82 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 35 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

...

ProsFamily setting....really enjoyed working with my group.

ConsTurn-around within management often affected moral amongst employees.

Great place to work!

Sales Support (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDiscount is great and great staff

Consworking retail doesn't give you the best hours

Great company to work for, but not even close to enough pay.

Email/Chat Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI loved my supervisor, and they offer a lot of incentives to keep the employees from getting bored and cranky. It takes a lot to get in trouble or get fired at this company, and there's a lot of paid time off if you're full-time. Overall great environment. Your team is like family, or at least mine was.

ConsNot even CLOSE to getting paid for the work you do. I had to leave because I loved my job but the money I made wasn't enough to get by. My job required ridiculous amounts of multitasking and perfect grammar, but the pay didn't reflect the amount of work and education that is required. I developed Carpel Tunnel Syndrome doing this job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThere are so many reasons to work for this company if you are in retail or are interested in retail. First of all the clothes are awesome! I would describe the Jcrew style as preppy chic. I have spent the majority of my career in corporate america and have been really drawn to their clothes for work as well as casual wear. I decided to apply for a part-time job because I love their clothes and the associates styles and they have an awesome discount. It ranges from 30-75%!!

ConsIf you are looking to make any real money this is not the place for you because you are only going to average 1 to 2 shifts a week. Because I love their clothes so much as well as the awesome discount I usually owe them money every week. Also the only full time workers at Jcrew are management. Still even with the cons I would still recommend working there.

A good experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsHad a great time with individuals I worked with.

ConsMeant to be a transitions job

A lot of fun. The people were great and there never were any problems

Associate Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are really nice and you get discounts

ConsNot great pay but you get more if you hep out a customer.

Great culture!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsI have been at J.Crew for a year and a half and it is the nicest work culture I have been a part of, I love the positivity!

ConsUnless in a managerial position, not a lot of hours :/

Advice to Senior ManagementIf one voices a desire to move up in the company, do guide them toward meeting that goal.

Great part time job, however...

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of hours. I love the people i work with, we are always having fun.

ConsDue to people leaving. They have extended our hours... So if your part of the opening team... Your shift starts at 5...AM.... And if your closing... you stay untill 12...AM... Meaning that people who do not live in the city physically can not get into the city by then. They also do not have enough support, and the stock room is unbelevible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more support, at least 2 people working on go backs constantly. And organize the stock room, its crazy that we cant sell something just because we can't find it in the stock room.

A great place to work but with ever increasing frustrations.

Merchant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing culture and 5 weeks vacation (if you can manage to take it all). Leadership values opinions at all levels, great opportunity to learn and grow. Certain areas of company are very entrepreneurial.

ConsBusiness is tough but the areas that are trending aren't getting rewarded. Company is too focused on following designers visions resulting in lack luster assortments and upset customers. Spend too much money on getting press (fashion week, elaborate store openings) and not enough on retaining strong team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people that are making their businesses work. Relook at design's impact on the assortments. Stop spreading everything so thin.

Lacks creativity

Sales Support (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsThe best part about working at J. Crew is the employee discount and sales.

ConsIf you're interested in the retail display at J. Crew, don't expect much. They'll give you the title, "sales support", but it's mundane work of a normal retail sales associate. The "visual" part of J.Crew is when that you have to rearrange shelves based on a set of instructions the company gives each store. Along with a box of items to display at the store. There is no creative freedom, and the "visual" part of the job, which is called a "roll out" happens every season or couple months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease post schedules on time. I received my schedule only a week prior to my schedule, sometimes only 1-2 days before. Unprofessional and quite annoying.

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!