J. Crew Reviews

Reset
2.5
J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There is a great discount on clothing (in 92 reviews)

• The employee discount was really nice as well (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • On call shifts can be frustrating (in 38 reviews)

• part time even when I switched departments (in 21 reviews)

1. great place to work, less great place to grow.

Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Exciting brand, love the fashion element, amazing coworkers and generous discounts

Cons

Workload for managers was tedious. More time spent folding, cashiering than managing.

Advice to Management

More transparency with career and advancement opportunities, better identify high potential employees and create and follow through on a plan for development and advancement.

2. Don't Be In the Crew

Current Employee - Sales Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, great benefits for full time employees.

Cons

After one year of working with the company as a part time associate these are the negatives I've discovered working at a large metropolitan store: You will be overtasked by management. There have been days where I'm doing 10 different tasks meanwhile a manager will tell me I also need to pick up the phone by the third ring and still get everything done. Advancement is a carrot on a string. Managers will not inform you, even if you ask, what positions are available within the company. And no matter how hard you work and how much you accomplish when it comes time you'll be told there's no openings. Pay raises aren't negotiable. Asked for a pay raise based on my performance. I was a part time sales support who was managing and doing merchandising roles at my store. After 2 months of checking back in with my director to hear back they told me they couldn't give me a raise. Days later a friend put in her two weeks notice and a manager pulled her aside and told her that they would do anything to keep her, money wasn't an issue. Time Off As a part time associate if you ask 2 weeks or more in advance you should be able, with ease to get unpaid time off, or change your availability. I've done both and my changed availability was rejected outright. My manager told me we'd chat about it, and I've had to cancel trips and plans I'd had for months because my manager decided to deny my unpaid time off. Scheduling. Every week someone is scheduled to work on the days they've specified they can't because of second jobs, family, health, etc. They will schedule you to be 39 hours so as to not make you full time and not give you benefits. Fulltimers as well as part-timers will experience hour cuts, one manager once cut all of our schedules by 30 minutes each 8 hour shift, and cut part time employees' shifts nearly in half. (This sort of thing tends to happen a lot) Hours are linked to store success. Often times, especially in small stores, if monetary goals are not achieved by a certain hour in the day it is policy to start sending home people. Those who stay, in my experience, tend to be those management likes. Stress Due to over tasking you will go home with a mental list of all the tasks you will have to get done the next day. The stress never diminishes, and the only way people learn to cope with it is to either just accept it as part of the job and be stressed out everyday, or to just stop caring and give up trying to have good work ethic.

Advice to Management

We should treat our employees with the same level of respect and class as we treat our customers.

Unless you're a manager or an experienced stylist.. not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous Discount Cute Clothes Employee Contests Occasional free snacks/food

Cons

strict dress code pressure to meet ridiculous sales goals and open cards. no incentives at all understaffed majority of the time clients usually have weird requests closing takes forever

Advice to Management

schedule more people if you don't want to struggle throughout the day & be stuck closing for an extra half an hour

5. High Turn Over Rate

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, managers were all friendly, supportive and helpful. Great college job.

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage pay, poor work/life balance

6. Visual Merchandiser

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. Crew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work environment, great entry level visual merchandising training, amazing discounts, part-time health insurance

Cons

Low wages, very competitive and hard to move up the ladder

Advice to Management

Provide better compensation to employees

7. J. Crew was a clique-y place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts are awesome! The people that shop there are friendly and pretty cool.

Cons

The management did not handle break-times or scheduling well. For example, a manager gave too many people 15 minute breaks. In turn, there were few associates on the floor and not enough room in the breakroom... but "that wasn't [her] problem." Another example, they would schedule those who commuted via public transportation before public transportation would be running. The environment of the managers was not as friendly as I had hoped.

Advice to Management

See above.

8. Great part time job, however...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours. I love the people i work with, we are always having fun.

Cons

Due to people leaving. They have extended our hours... So if your part of the opening team... Your shift starts at 5...AM.... And if your closing... you stay untill 12...AM... Meaning that people who do not live in the city physically can not get into the city by then. They also do not have enough support, and the stock room is unbelevible.

Advice to Management

Hire more support, at least 2 people working on go backs constantly. And organize the stock room, its crazy that we cant sell something just because we can't find it in the stock room.

9. Great

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, the discount is great. Great managers

Cons

They have bad hours occasionally

Advice to Management

None

10. Review

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

fun people to work with at JCrew. Great Discount that you receive when you work there. Easy to work with customers

Cons

The hours are unpredictable and you have to work long hours on your feet. The breaks are really short and the lunches are short too.

Advice to Management

I think that management should have a more organized schedule for the sales people so they can plan there weeks accordingly with the assigned schedule.

RSS Feed </> Embed