J.D. Power Reviews

Reset
3.1
J.D. Power President Finbarr O'Neill
Finbarr O'Neill

Pros
  • Great office space, fun activities and training opportunities help with the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Decent benefits from McGraw Hill company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is supposedly there but employees are expected to get work done while sick or taking care of personal business (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours required to get the work done, and no thanks given by managers when you go above and beyond (in 4 reviews)

1. Marketing Assocaite

Current Employee - Events & Marketing Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Events & Marketing Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to learn the fundamentals of working in the corporate world. I enjoyed my term there as a contractor.

Cons

My only con would be that I wish I could have been a contractor for over the maximum amount of 1 year.

Advice to Management

At this time I have no advice for management. I believe that the management did their jobs well and taught me a lot.

2. VP

Current Employee - Vice President in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power (More than 3 years)

Pros

High energy, Active work style

Cons

Uncertainty in general. Lack of an ambitious vision. Cost Management rather that growth

3. Corporate Disconnect

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand name in the industry, great perks, and an array of paths within the research field. Experience across industries with a multitude of clientele. Freedom to develop your projects.

Cons

Hire over qualified contractors and string them around with the promise of a full-time role, but never hire due to 'corporate constraints'. Creates a disconnect, and doesn't allow flourishing teams to grow. Spending millions of dollars and man power on an inferior technology product ( Boomer level management trying to compete with millennial technology out of Silicon Valley). Claims to be doing everything, including an office move, to 'attract and retain new talent' but never asked employees what would attract/retain them. No part in office move. Really doesn't pay that well. Average research associate at Nielsen makes 56K a year, whereas JD is at 42K. Associates get paid the same if they're living in LA (extremely high cost of living) or Michigan (extremely low).

Advice to Management

Stop stringing along contractors. It hurts teams and the company as a whole. Make it a 3 month MAX on contractors, then decide to keep or let go. Hire millennials in some mid-level management if you're trying to compete on technology, and most importantly -- empower them. Actually attract young talent through opportunities like a cool office. Retain them through culture and perks. The turnover as of late has been unbelievable.

5. Don't work with vision!!!!

Pros

Casual dress code Brand name over the market Legacy technologies Moderate pay Better perks

Cons

People the say its contract to hire position but never hire due to budget constraint. So don't expect to get hired it's just contract position. Learn better politics to handle people rather knowing technology. So much micro or nano management. People used to work with excel or word so don't try to change the manual work. Be Cautious before giving any ideas.

Advice to Management

Try to think with vision rather thinking or shrinking budget to maintain the same stuff. If they don't implement new technologies this company will be out soon from the market.

6. Senior Manager

Pros

If you like research and analysis this is s good place to be.

Cons

Old boys' club. Emphasis on sales. Not open to new approaches. Sloppy communication.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating good input because "we've always done it this way."

7. Good Company

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at J.D. Power (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and many positions that allow constant opportunity to advance and grow.

Cons

Large company politics take away from family vibe that was established when company was private.

Highly political

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at J.D. Power full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Owned by McGraw-Hill so lots of training and development offered. Good pay and benefits. Ability to work from home - sometimes.

Cons

Annual reorg is chaotic and doesn't lead to lasting relationship with your boss. Highly political, clicque management team. Keep piling the work on competent employees until they quit.

Advice to Management

Quit your job and be human for goodness sake.

9. Great place to work

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time

Pros

Lots of office perks-great place

Cons

No cons to report yet!

Director

Current Employee - Director in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time

Pros

Enjoy the people I work with and the flexibility. I have also receive many opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Too much change and it's difficult to make these changes without the consultation of operations employees. I enjoy working here though.

IT professionals - beware

Current Employee - Analyst in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Troy, MI

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits Flex time Training opportunities for personal development Great office space Recognized and respected brand Several fun office activities

Cons

Could be just the team that I am on but there is heavy micro-management that requires detailed progress reports at least twice, sometimes 3 times a week. Unrealistic expectations regarding progress. As a new-hire, they expected me to understand entire methodologies (250+ pages), programs/applications (1000's of lines of code), and processes within two months (in my case). I'm hoping this isn't company wide.... Managers who are promoted seem to know the product very well, but lack skills in managing others. There is favoritism and not everyone is created equal. Some people get to come, go and do as they please while others don't have this luxury. Also, this company isn't trustworthy regarding job security. I have worked here for only a couple of months and have seen so many people quit, transfer to different teams without notice, or get fired. Lastly, work is REPETITIVE. Every week is the same unless something goes wrong with processing or you find something wrong during data quality check.

RSS Feed </> Embed