J.D. Power

Add Photos

J.D. Power President Finbarr O'Neill

Finbarr O'Neill

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great coworkers, no opportunity for advancement and high workload

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at J.D. Power full-time

ProsCoworkers are great, fun company wide events and happy hours keep things interesting. Beautiful new office space. Decent benefits from McGraw Hill company.

ConsVirtually impossible to move up, been told more than once that you have to switch teams in order to advance. Work load is crazy, employees are laid off and ones that remain are expected to double their workload and somehow still meet deadlines. Managers don't appreciate their employees hard work. Employees are expected to work lots of overtime and be reachable all the time, and recognition only comes when there is an error on a report, for which attention is negative. No positive feedback on work efforts. Work/life balance is supposedly there but employees are expected to get work done while sick or taking care of personal business. Everyone saves their vacation for the last 2 weeks of the year since they have to use it or lose it, and they are too busy during the year to take time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time acknowledging and rewarding the employees you have and you wouldn't have such high turnover. Promote people once in awhile without making them move to a different team. Don't have such short sightedness to lay people off when you are making more profit than you ever have before.

No complaints

Senior Research Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSenior management cares about employees, cool office, recognizes people who think outside the box, overall a better environment than most.

ConsThe research is a little traditional and does not push the ball. However it is effective and often delivers what the clients are looking for.

Experienced a big change.

Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat resume builder. Can work on a number of different industries.

ConsNot very much room to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on the molding of associates.

Loved my group, though likely would not return for full time.

Market Research (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at J.D. Power as an intern for less than a year

ProsPlaced with a small department, all of whom were wonderful and welcoming.
Fair hours for an intern; worked 45-55 hours per week.
Felt like I had real impact on projects through certain key tasks.
Felt valued, though simply an intern.

ConsWatched full-time workers spend late evenings and weekends at the office regularly despite pay that does not award that effort.
Obvious challenges in movement within the company; difficult to be promoted.
Some groups had unhealthy dynamics that would definitely affect my work quality, if it were me.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift organizational structure to allow for more movement and appreciation of hard work. For interns, it works just fine; I just felt so much for those few working full-time, which actually meant "all the time."

Good company if you have some experience

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe working environment is very flexible and a nice new office.

ConsVery limited professionalism opportunities, mostly due to the small size of the company. Outdated business model and the product is getting obsolete.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster, in couple years no one will be using mail surveys.

No room for growth

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time

ProsNice new office that you can be proud of when you walk into work each morning. Lots of natural lighting that helps keep you focused. Decent pay scale, though slowly decreasing

ConsThe opportunity for growth is nearly invisible. Employees worked there for 5+ years and have yet to receive some type of promotion. Pay scale is on a downward slope as work load is going upward.

People are Fantastic, Job Responsibilities Stink

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at J.D. Power full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- People are great!
- Fun, relaxed atmosphere.
- Flexible work hours depending on your boss.
- Offices are in really nice locations in both Troy and Wesltlake Village.
- Having this name on your resume packs a punch.
- Very good benefits and tuition reimbursement program.
- Great 401K matching program!

Cons- Lots of company-wide job cuts and very often. Always nervous about being on the chopping block.
- Expected to do A LOT of work for not as much pay as you deserve.
- Managers are not good at having your back.
- Favoritism.
- Expected to work ALL THE TIME. I've worked at 1am on Fridays and Saturdays before.
- Very poor work/life balance.
-Little/no room for advancement. They have a saying at J.D. Power that the best way to get a raise at the company is to leave and come back. Not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people fairly for the amount of work they do and develop your associates. This will minimize the insane turnover at the company. Also, be clear about company goals and stop laying people off in hoards. It doesn't make employees confident in your business, which is why they all flee to Edmunds.

Billion dollar brand, dollar store product

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits through McGraw Hill
Fun, generally bright co-workers
Nice new workspace

There's a 20 word maximum to meet, there are no additional pros.

ConsBasically same survey/methodology used for all studies from paint to investor satisfaction, which is 25+ pages of questions that are completely irrelevant. Steer clear if you're an experienced professional, you'll be doing the same work that interns do. Data processing, data processing, data processing, and more data processing.Then checking, checking and more checking.

Massive bureaucracy, but lacking in a clear process. Everything is outsourced. No one is accountable. You are sunk if you get paired up with a boss that doesn't have your back and unless you've been working there at least 5 years your boss doesn't have your back.

Don't get fooled by the brand. Read some of these reviews and really think about if this is a place you want to work especially if you aren't just straight out of school.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an hour and think about a training program and how to improve your tired product. Figure out a way to really meet client's research goals once you get them hooked with syndicated research or eventually you'll be out of clients who are looking for more than a random number to benchmark.

If you really are only looking for entry-level data monkeys to work in your sweatshop that's all you should hire. That should help you hit this quarter's numbers and they don't know any better.

Fellow Employees were great, management was awful, though.

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at J.D. Power

ProsWell-known company
Lots of employee morale events
Fellow employees were helpful
Relaxed dress code
Flexible work hours and days off

ConsManagement was incompetant
No training or instruction
Held to lofty goals without telling you what the goals are
Poor communication between everyone
No good work/life management. Expected to work overtime all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers. Allow employees to contribute to success. Be clearer on what the goals are and be communicative to those involved.

ALL employees should be treated equally...including Administrative staff.

I have been working at J.D. Power

ProsGreat benefits package provided by parent company McGraw-Hill.

ConsAdministrative staff goes completely unnoticed. No opportunity for advancement from this level. Pay raises are almost non-existent. The two point five percent increase that is given during review really is not enough considering the cost of living is high especially in this economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat ALL employees equally, starting from the bottom, including ALL Administrative staff. Pay attention in this area! Make sure to reward them in some way at this level to make them feel appreciated as this is not currently the case. They work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep their bosses schedules in tip-top shape but they are never rewarded. (The occasional bagels and donuts do not suffice!) Give them accessability to learning opportunities and treat them RESPECTFULLY. Give this area some serious thought. Ask the administative assistants for their input and make changes.

Worked for J.D. Power? Contribute to the Community!

J.D. Power Videos

J.D. Power – Why Work for Us?

J.D. Power and Associates, a business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies, is a global marketing information services company operating in key business sectors across a variety of industries, providing customer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.D. Power reviews and ratings in Troy, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.D. Power CEO Finbarr O'Neill. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by J.D. Power employees.