J H Darbie &Co

3.3

Robert Rabinowitz

Good.

I have been working at J H Darbie &Co

Pros

A good experience for beginners.

Cons

Working environment needs to be improved.

a Pathetic joke

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at J H Darbie &Co

Pros

NO pros what so ever. this company is a mess

Cons

Cold Calling from 7 am to 6 pm
    The guys in there have litle to no knowledge about the market.
    Just calling random numbers all day looking for somone dumb enough to stay on the phone.
    Only care about making as many trades as possible before the client close the account.

Get new matrial, Hire professionals not kids, analyse the market dont pick up the first stock Kramer talks about. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY when investors ask to close an account close it, dont ignor their calls.

This is a good company

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees there are very nice. Actually, my English is not so good, but they are so patient to teach me everything and make me professional. Here, if you pay your effort, you will have a chance to obtain success. Since the first day I came to the company, I understand the importance of saying "YES" instead of "YEA", and Arthur always remind me of this point when I forgot it. They will require you to have a proper suit and tie, to walk like a broker. In addition, I think the most big challenge for me is giving a market summary during the morning meeting. Like I mentioned before, my English is kind of poor, and I need to overcome a lot to give an excellent presentation. There is no doubt that, as an intern, you need to make cold calls, but I think this task makes me more confident when I talk to strangers, I learnt a lot from this task even if it is just a call.

Cons

The working environment still need to improve, you should bring your own computer. There is an unpaid internship program, therefore, you need to measure your opportunity cost. But I think what you learnt from here is much more important than the compensations if you are a student. Actually,if there is a holiday coming, you will have a small gifts. Basically, the final career here is broker, therefore, if this is not what you want to seek for, be cautious. Finally, you need to work long time a day, arrive before 7:30 am and leave around 4:00 pm, but if you have classes to deal with, the schedule is flexible.

Experienced people but sketchy

Former Employee - Stockbroker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stockbroker in New York, NY

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people at the firm were knowledgeable in what they do
    Wall Street

Cons

Grunt work
    Cold calling all day
    When not cold calling, youre looking up people's info for hours on end
    Unpaid

Broke me down and built me back up.

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The management team really teaches you to the fundamentals of prospecting for high net worth individuals. They do a fantastic job at getting you out of your comfort zone and helping you learn how to get leads.

Cons

No compensation and long hours. The work life balance is pretty bad since you're in the office a lot but its very rewarding if you learn from the senior brokers.

Implement a stipend to incentivize better performance.

Work at a real firm

Former Employee - Investment Banking & Brokerage in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking & Brokerage in New York, NY

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Cool employees, free breakfast, learn how to make presentations, ok office culture, gets Wall Street on your resume

Cons

No pay, not the best experience, rude managers who make you do useless work at times, cold calling, instability, no real skill building, poor company values, divided management

Pay your employees or at least give them a travel stipend. Allow them to do meaningful work so they can move on to big banks with serious experience under their belt

A Great Internship Program

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Dedicated Management
    - Hard working brokers
    - Learn everything from how to speak "finance" while expressing your opinion in front of numerous listeners to the ins and outs of sales and trading, research and analysis, and investment banking.
    - If you want to learn what it really means to be dedicated and be a true professional on Wall St. then apply for their internship program. It's life changing and I'm not exaggerating.

Cons

They have older computers and other equipment. This only affects computer geeks like me.

Keep up the great work. Arthur and Randy are amazing teachers and motivators!!!

JH Darbie is a dedicated financial service for client

Current Employee - Client Service in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service in New York, NY

I have been working at J H Darbie &Co full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

if you are a broker, basically you can make your own hours and they pay out are terrific
    it requires a lot of phone work, but when an account is opened it is very satisfying

Cons

sometime the equipment is not working properly and it delays some of daily function

neds to be team players, have all equipment in working order and rules should not change daily they should be established

Don't not even go to their interview. This firm's hiring is unethical!

Current Employee - Interviewee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interviewee in New York, NY

I have been working at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at all.

Cons

They gave me an interview and tried to scare me with a pop quiz and , but actually they pretty much take anyone who show up on their interviews.

Please do something that are ethical and will make your business sustainable!

Waste of time. Don't fall for their pitch

I worked at J H Darbie &Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They help you dress like a banker and encourage you to read the news. They're understanding if you have school work to do and can't make it, but not much else that is positive.

Cons

They'll promise you that you'll know more about the markets than Goldman analysts and make it seem like they're selective in their hiring process. In reality, they will take anyone that shows up and make you cold call. All you will do is cold call. Complete waste of time. I would have been better off reading wiki articles on finance.

Be honest when you hire people and maybe let your interns do some real work.