J. Jill Group

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paula Bennett

Pros
  • JJill provides a work-life balance of schedules and of community service(in 7 reviews)

• Positive work environment, great co-workers, nice discount(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management rules by fear and intimidation and basically uses tactics to berate and demoralize(in 5 reviews)

• Unfair treatment, lack of support, lack of team building of managers by district and regional leaders causing high turnover(in 4 reviews)

Sales/Keyholder

ProsMaking customers feel comfortable with their shopping experience.

ConsLifting heavy boxes and cleaning store.

Key Holder

PT Keyholder (Former Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsI enjoyed working at this retail store because in comparison to all others it was a smaller format but still had high sales and the pay was good.

ConsThe clientele was sometimes very needy and snooty.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink how product is packaged. A lot of money is wasted and it's very in sustainable to place a piece of tissue in an item that is already encased in plastic wrapping. There are a lot of small ways the bottom line could increase by changing a few things.

Enjoyable Company

ProsGreat co-workers, positive environment, good pay, good benefits

Consnone to speak of at this time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most co-workers nice but not enough hours

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsNice co-workers, good employee discount, most customers are nice

ConsNot enough hours, spotty training, too many nitpicky rules from HQ. I have worked my butt off to be a good employee (reliable, punctual, cheerful, impeccably dressed) -- yet after more than a year here, I'm still only averaging about 8 hours a week. People who are unreliable and chronically late get more hours, apparently because they're the store manager's pets. And the SM continues to hire new people even when we already have too many associates and not enough hours to give them. Good people quit for this reason. Also, no matter how long I work here, I never cease to get scolded for failing to follow some nitpicky rule -- usually something that no one's ever mentioned to me before. The level of fussiness about how clothes are displayed is unbelievable. ("The clips on this pant hanger are 1/16" of an inch too far from the side seams! For shame!") HQ invents arbitrary, stupid rules like "No more containers of pens by the cash register." "No more e-mail communication between store employees." "Long sleeves must be rolled.... no, cuffed twice..... no, scrunched..." -- that is, the rules are not only plentiful and stupid, but they change constantly. It really wears on you to be constantly told, "That's wrong, that's wrong, that's wrong" when you're trying your damndest to get everything right.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold SMs accountable for high employee turnover. There should also be a self-training program on a "dummy" cash register so you can practice the many complicated types of transactions before you have to do them with a customer. Also, pay more attention to your target customer, and give her what she WANTS to wear, not what your wacky designers think she should wear. Many of our customers are over 50 and don't want sleeveless dresses or above-knee skirts; they don't want shapeless, boxy, maternity-type tops, sweaters and dresses; they don't want all their warm-weather clothes to be 100% linen; they don't want summer clothes that are so sheer as to require a cami or tank underneath (hot!); and many of them don't want low-rise pants, either.

No growth

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat clothing, flexible hours, good work life balance

ConsI worked for the company for eight years, saw all DM and Visual positions go to external candidates. The was no room for growth once you were a premier store. High turnover in my market with in the last three years after years stable managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider area managers or go back to store manager trainers so thanking time managers feta an opportunity to grow

Toxic Environment. STAY AWAY!

Manager (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsYou might survive if you have a supportive manager, but that's VERY rare. Free K-Cups is a pro. The roof deck is nice IF you get the rare opportunity to be able to take a lunch break. 60+ hours a week is the norm, no time for lunch. Location is good.

ConsJ.Jill is a toxic environment, very cut throat, kill-or-be-killed mentality. Everyone throws everyone under the bus to protect themselves and that's acceptable. Management said point-blank in a meeting that they expect you to stay after hours and it’s the norm to NOT see your kids, “if you want a job and you want to leave at 5, this is not the place for you, if you want a career it is”, “You either have it or you don’t and if you don’t your time is going to be up”. Once head exec walked the halls and stated “it’s 6:30 where is everybody?”. I mentioned I needed to leave at 5:30 to pick up my daughter and its been hard to leave to do so - "too bad" they told me, "I don't see my kids either". Late and early meetings are the norm, 8am meetings and 7pm meetings happen almost every day. They don't develop and support their good people and then drive them out. The President of the company is always confused on what she asked for in prior meetings and has everyone run around in circles back and forth to appease her. Decisions are made on the fly with no regards to what needs to get done and the impact on the employees, creative work suffers and it results in a lower quality outcome. There is A TON of turnover. They place unrealistic expectations on their staff and everyone is overworked, departments are understaffed, folks are miserable and unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and think how you are treating your employees - they're your most valuable asset, treat them that way, you will see a difference. You have a terrible reputation that will keep good talent away. Train your management and care a little about the fact that these people would do better work if happy and balanced in work and life. You focus on training store employees, what about corporate?

Sales Associate/Assistant manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJ.Jill was a great store for me to get into the retail world. The customer is very loyal and loves the brand. Training was adequate and the product was unique and good quality. The distract manager was a great support.

ConsThe company doesn't always communicate information in a timely manner. May change a promo during the middle of the day by email and you don't see it until too late.

Advice to Senior Managementmore training for beginning sales associates.

Pretty good

Direct Stock Associate (Current Employee) Tilton, NH

ProsBenefits are good. Some jobs a quite physical some aren't.

ConsPay could be better. Drama.

Not enough respect, but nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, comfortable dress code, covered parking garage, NICE coworkers, fashion atmosphere, good people, good HRIS system, good work/life balance in some departments

Consdisrespect by management, a little micro managing, no telecommuting, no flexible hours, VP's and directors expected to work 24/7, work/life balance not consistent across departments, room to move up in some departments

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing, the new lines look great, suggest trying flexible hours and telecomuting, get into the 21st century

A great. place to work

Seasonal Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThe best reason to work at J. Jill's is the associates and managers. They are people
    persons, who mean business. The store manager is pro active, fair, friendly and compassionate.

ConsThe challenges in a store can be hectic especially in scheduling hours for holidays. Genny manages with three assistant store managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advise to upper management is diversity and creativity in clothing and associates. The store is well balanced with both.

Worked for J. Jill Group? Contribute to the Community!