J. Jill Group

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.2

Paula Bennett

Pros
  • JJill provides a work-life balance of schedules and of community service (in 8 reviews)

• Great employee discount and a benefits package that puts most others to shame (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management rules by fear and intimidation and basically uses tactics to berate and demoralize (in 5 reviews)

• Unfair treatment, lack of support, lack of team building of managers by district and regional leaders causing high turnover (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at J. Jill Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training program is growing, opportunity for growth, the company is striving to make J.Jill a great place to work. The benefits are nice and being an assistant you have time with family and work no more than forty hours a week.

Cons

Communication, quick turn around of certain promotions, being able to multi-task, run the sales floor and get visual changes done in a timely matter.

Recognize all the challenges management faces running a fast pace retail environment. Continue to recognize the hard work that is done especially during the holidays.

Dysfunctional workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at J. Jill Group

Pros

Free shuttle to and from the red line. Free coffee. Nice outdoor space with trees and a pond for lunch (if you will dare).

Cons

J.Jill is a good place to work for someone that is fresh out of school and needs to stay a couple of years to gain experience. Otherwise there is absolutely no place for grow.

There is no work life balance. A lot of people are afraid of take their lunch hour because it looks bad. I have never seen anyone eating in the cafeteria as it is only used for meetings (and sometimes parties). Workers are asked to not take time off on major holidays and are expected to work late every nights and come in during the weekends. Nobody will care if you have children, you have to work,work, work.

Upper management keep changing their minds and cannot make a decision and stick with it. A lot of changes are made last minute when it's very late in the development process. Things keep being dropped, then put back in, then dropped again. There is a lot of working in circle and time wasted. Everything is consistently late. A lot of time has been cut off from the business calendar, to a point that there is almost no time for development. To add to this, there is an incredible amount of over development and money wasted.

Lots of micromanagement. So many times I have thought "why is this person worrying about this and that at her level?". At some point they even tried to control what people could put in the fridge and what not.

Very clicky and high school mentality. Bonuses are only given to managers and are given in secret. Once a year the rest of us can literally have a cookie with the J. Jill logo stamped on it.

Very sterile and controlling environment. People are not free to put what they want on their desk and on the surrounding walls. This should be a creative environment where people are allowed to get inspired.

There is no communication between teams. On a regular basis, overseas agents will inform you of things you should have known first. There is no processes, everyone works for themselves. A lot of departments work against each other instead of working as a team. Very often, important information is not shared and things are decided in secret. Some teams will even bully others to get what they want.

The PLM system got an "upgrade" last year. It was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it turned out to be a total flop. The company went cheap and as a result, the system did not provide the tools people really need to do their work properly. They trained the employees on how to work with the broken system but there was absolutely no training or support regarding how the work flow would change. It made day to day tasks a nightmare. And giving the fact that the company already had no communication and no processes established, it made everything much worse.

Overall, J.Jill is a difficult and stressful environment. Most people are overworked, unhappy and miserable. Not enough time, not enough people. If you are lucky enough to have a supportive manager and be in a department where you get along with your team members it will make a big difference. I recommend that you just stay away.

P/T Sales Associate

Former Employee - P/T Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - P/T Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I worked at J. Jill Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the staff of women I worked with. The J.Jill customers are the friendliest and open to suggestions by sales associates. It made some days a great experience. The merchandise was so easy to sell because of its great style and

Cons

Sadly, the manager did not encourage a harmonious, calm environment. Employees were pitted against each other and made to feel constantly inadequate by unkind comments and threats. This was my second experience at J.Jill not much changed from my first go around as a sales associate there.

J.Jill needs to re-think their criteria in hiring managerial personnel. Employees need to feel valued and respected in order to produce positively. They have a great style and customers truly love the merchandise. You need to hire people who exude that... not frustrated, angry people who are incapable of understanding what drives good businesses!

Elitist, Outdated management style

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at J. Jill Group

Pros

None. This company is a nightmare that promotes no work-life balance nor does upper management demonstrate respect for the associates that are providing the most important service.

Cons

The upper management has absolutely no sympathy for the associates who are on the floor, day after day, pushing the product, and essentially bringing in their salary.

For one, they place unreasonably high expectations on employees to push the credit card program, one that is designed to swindle customers into buying more for a minuscule discount and at the risk of forgetting a payment and paying a hefty interest.

They have unreasonably high expectations in terms of volume of sales and conversion rates. All of the ladies with whom I work are kind, generous, patient and dedicated to helping women find the right clothes. I've worked at multiple branches, and seen all of them follow protocol and embody the J.Jill brand. But I still see intimidation on the part of upper management when the numbers aren't as high as they want them to be.

There is no incentive to sell well. The management is trying to get away with short changing their associates. They want the associates to dedicate themselves to helping every individual customer and expend energy on finding them perfect outfits, as well as use sales tactics to get them to open the JJCC. But they don't want to have to dole out commission for all that work.

Abandon your archaic elitism. Times are changing.

Key Holder

Former Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at J. Jill Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable, high - quality clothing. Kind customers. Reasonable hours and wages. Good employee discount.

Cons

Unfortunately, the district manager in my given area was completely horrible, slightly corrupt, and apathetic. I truly loved working for this company, but it became clear that she was far more interested in pushing her problems onto the store managers beneath her than actually looking out for our district's best interests. I feel that this company started out so positively, but has really changed after the last couple of years due to unclear vision and lack of understanding from district/regional/corporate management. I quit due to this problem. This job was very stressful.

Be more active in interacting on the store level - it's clear that upper management is completely out of touch with employees.

Retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Jill Group part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Wonderful co-workers and clients. Fair pay. Flexible hours

Cons

Retail hours and holiday hours

asst store manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at J. Jill Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality fabric and construction of womens apparel. Loyal client base with constant promos for growing credit card holders.

Cons

Company needs better register and store computers. Ordering for the customer time consuming.... Needs better software for opening information for managers with operations.

Be sure to hire happy individuals who really like people and have respect for each other. Can they laugh and work hard??

Ridiculous company to work for

Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at J. Jill Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nicest people ever to work with in the store. In store management is great.

Cons

Low, low hourly pay with very high expectations for sales. No reward for outstanding performance.

Please...like they would even listen to someone like me...but wait! I'm the one actually selling the clothes that make the company money. How about pay your dedicated, well educated, part time employees a decent hourly wage?

key holder

Former Employee - Key Holder in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Roseville, CA

I worked at J. Jill Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ggreat wearable clothes. Friendly relaxed atmosphere.Ppotential for advancement.

Cons

Ttraining, not so good. Always changing policies and procedures.

Love the people, it's a real pleasure to work with them.

Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate
    Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate

I have been working at J. Jill Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers, people seem happy in their jobs and all have been there for a long time. Low turnover which I found surprising in retail.

Cons

The start pay could be better, could be more considerate on scheduling hours for part timers. It's hard to look busy all the time when customer traffic is light