J.P. Morgan Reviews in Boston, MA

4,003 Reviews

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon
1,153 Ratings

Pros
  • They actually hold women's meetings to talk about how to achieve work life balance (in 219 reviews)

• Lots of great benefits such as a Pension, 5% matching contribution up to (in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging in a non stop fast pace working environment (in 229 reviews)

• Could be a lot of long hours if there is a new implementation or client (in 180 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work. Team environment which depoending on your team/function can be great. Open door policy and work hard play hard approach. Strong control environment.

Cons

Big organization culture, bureacracy. Change often takes time to implement and many hoops to get approval for some processes.

Outstanding company to work for

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Smart, talented, and great people
    - Work life balance
    - Great analysts

Cons

- Smaller Boston office, sometimes you feel as if you are missing out if not being a the headquarters

- Jamie Diamond is an incredible leader and very smart
    - CEO of the Private Bank gave their interns outstanding advice

it was a great experience

Former Employee - Mutual Funds Reporting  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mutual Funds Reporting in Boston, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place t get experience

Cons

could be slow after the busy cycles

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Reporting

Former Employee - Business Analyst & Reporting Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst & Reporting Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had the chance to learn a lot. A good place for after college. I recommend get in and get out.

Cons

No work-life balance. At JPMorgan you're considered a number, like cattle. I never received the credit I deserved or ever felt appreciated.

Not much upper management would do.

I would rather say "paper or plastic" than to work here...RUN..FAST

Current Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Name on resume looks good

Cons

Systems are old, (felt like I was in 1993) training is nonexistent, literally have to fight to learn job, high turnover, employees quit left and right with zero notice. Pay isn't great, morale is awful, health insurance is the worst available plans under cigna and united healthcare. The cons can go on for LIFE...Just run! If you take a job here make sure it's short term just so you have the name on your resume.

Learn your jobs, and train employees instead of going to the bars during lunch

Worked only four months, hated hours

Former Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

OK for the time I was there.

Cons

No chance of being hired permanently.

Great learning experience but ends in politics and BS

Former Employee - Hegde Fund Accounting  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Hegde Fund Accounting in Boston, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As I said in my title, it's a great learning experience for people straight out of college. You get your feet wet and learn how to basically use a computer all over again (excel plus various software programs relevant to your dept - in this case fund accounting)

Cons

Tons and tons of slack management who want to squeeze every single penny from the client and put in their sleezy pockets. Why out source loads of jobs if your just gonna replace ppl in the US 1 for 1? Every one person replaced in the US there should be at least 2-3 in India or Phillippines idiots!!! Hedge fund services is a dying case in Boston. Ask them what the turnover ratio was like between 2011 and 2013? Prob 90%!!! That shows how much ppl like working there or feel liek they have some sort of future. The only ppl that are still full time there 2 years or more are the ones who aren't good enough to get hired anywhere else because I know for a fact that THEY ARE ALL LOOKING!!!

Quit trying to under bid all your competitors for clients if you can't afford to pay staff to do the jobs your contracted to do (accurately at least). Promote within. Show some moral and compassion to employees who are trying to have a life outside the office. More ppl need to be hired to do the jobs required. You can't keep hiring and training temps cus then they leave along with full time staff.

I had great growth opportunities and worked with great people all over the world.

Former Employee - Technology Architect  in  Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Architect in Lowell, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of very talented people working hard in a client focused culture. Good benefits by today's standards. Rewarding experience bringing products to market that serve the clients well. I would still be there if job locations did not change but I did not want to move.

Cons

Overly political much of the time. The MBA's are a thick middle management layer that could use some thinning with some technical people. Not enough hands on resources. Budgets are constantly in flux as management reacts to events rather than be ahead of events. This can make bringing a program to fruition very challenging.

Get resources with more technical minds in management and the business side to provide balance to the pure management types. Stop reworking budgets as often and follow through on the plan. Get ahead of events by spending on fundamental components rather than always reacting. Be more flexible in working locations you can retain talent that otherwise will be lost. Service Oriented Architecture only works if everyone is willing to cooperate.

Time to move on

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working newer technologies, teamwork is practiced for the most part, diversity is good

Cons

newer management not understanding systems they own, likely age discrimination, "company wide policy" not applied uniformly, people fearful for job stability

don't sweep people out the door so readily, reduce senior level bonuses to spread to low level employees scraping by

Good Place to Learn, Promotions/Mobility can be Difficult

Current Employee - Fund Accounting Officer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Fund Accounting Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

JPM invests very heavily in technology, so their platforms and integrated functionalities are often best in class.

Very mature governance structure: management has an excellent, structured approach to managing change across the business, with standardized best practices for nearly every process.

Cons

Goal setting for employees can often be too vague to be helpful

Criteria for promotion is not clearly defined, and in some cases, not communicated explicitly--which can be frustrating.

Internal transfers can be extremely difficult. In my experience I have twice applied for positions in other departments, only to learn that I was not offered the position on account of my current management team refusing to let me out of my current role.

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!