J.P. Morgan

4,403 Reviews

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon
1,390 Ratings

Pros
  • They actually hold women's meetings to talk about how to achieve work life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Lots of great benefits such as a Pension, 5% matching contribution up to (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging in a non stop fast pace working environment (in 262 reviews)

• Could be a lot of long hours if there is a new implementation or client (in 197 reviews)

More Highlights

246 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A perfect place to work

Former Employee - Corporate Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great atmosphere
    -intelligent employees
    -above average compensation

Cons

-loose management (a company is too big which limits the time spent for mentoring and training

-improve training and mentoring program

It was ok but they did not care about me as a person

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellent benefits work envirement. and location

Cons

you are a number. Your opinion does not matter

Talk to the employees sometime

A big company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some technology. Decent benefits. If you know how to play the game and move until you find the right situation, you can advance. There are decent groups where work can be rewarding.

Cons

Much of the IT is hurry up and waste your time with little chance to advance. In these poor areas, work/life balance is preached but not practiced. In the same poor departments, you only have about a 2% chance of ever being promoted - ever! Took a very large leap just by doing the same high level of performance under a different manger. Top performers get varying bonuses but rarely advance. All culture has been eliminated. Tools are watered down to the cheapest available or to the lowest denominator. Socializing is reduced to the Starbucks break or corporate sanctioned community service.

This isn't a company where you can feel like you contribute or build a career. It's an assignment and sometimes what you do might matter, but mostly it won't. There is plenty of training listed as available, but it has no value. This is a global company, so you are 1 of 100,000+ people with no culture or identity. Find exactly what you want or leave.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Support Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Support Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers decent compensation. The Columbus, OH office offers quite a bit for employee services.

Cons

Corporate Politics were out of control
    Middle to Senior Management were unprofessional and make poor decisions regardless of the best information they were given.

Management culture requires full repair.

Great pay, bad management kills it

Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Pay
    - Looks great on a resume
    - Stay there to get experience for 1-2 years, then move on

Cons

- People with the loudest mouths and least amount of skill get promoted
    - Work-life balance - they even have a social media group and phone numbers to contact even on vacation...
    - Machines more locked-down than Fort Knox

- Work-life balance is REAL
    - Think about structuring projects
    - No one wants to confront a badly-behaving employee, but if you're management, that's your job. You're actively losing employees because you're scared to confront them, who now run the place

Team Manager

Former Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a company I have worked for 24 years , this was due to the management staff, they were great in showing a great example on how to be. The training was tremendous and I was able to pass this down to my advisors that reported to me. This company has grown a lot in the over 100 years they have been in business. I have been compensated very well every year, Based on my performance, this was very encouraging to jump into the next year with a good sense of pride.

Cons

as in anywhere you work you are going to have people who did not get along, I felt our HR department was no quick to get in the issue and help resolve

they need to treat every employee like they matter, to be with them and encourage them along the way. This has been the case in most every instance. need to have open door policy and make themselves available on the floor

Challenging and rewarding

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Benefits Package, company values, name recognition, unlimited advancement opportunity, best training in the industry.

Cons

Mediocre work - life balance expectations, politics.

Cultivate trust and lead vs. manage.

I enjoyed working for the company, but my whole department was laid off.

Current Employee - CFA Consumer Loan Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - CFA Consumer Loan Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work. The company was a relaxed environment on the home mortgage side. I liked my managers,

Cons

Laid off despite top 5% in production and one of the lead performers in my department. I never received benefits while working at Chase.

Be more proactive with keeping good employees.

Fine company, but I can find something better that values me more

Current Employee - CDP Operations Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - CDP Operations Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a huge company so there a lot of people to meet and places to work. You can work with different people not just all over the U.S. but also the entire world. Also, you can most likely find something that sparks your interest and network to put yourself in a better position to obtain your goals.

Cons

It's a lot harder to get the salary you should be paid if you only move within the company. They value talent that comes from outside the company much more and definitely show it in how they pay outside managers versus internal. If you start here, and like it, it's much better to leave and come back later.

Be more flexible in terms of training, education, and the career aspirations of employees.

Chase has been a great opportunity to expand my PM skills and learn new technologies.

Current Employee - Vice President Technology Project Management in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology Project Management in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move around and gain a greater breath of business acumen. Exposure to cutting edge technologies and work life balance add to the benefits.

Cons

Promotional opportunities are limited but ability to lateral is encouraged. The parking is very limited in the Polaris campus creating a culture of eating at desks for lunch since it is too difficult to leave for lunch.

Promote within the company when warranted versus looking outside. While it is excellent approach to get fresh views into the company, it is a better strategy to carefully balance the new hires with internal promotions.