J.P. Morgan

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon

Jamie Dimon

557 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A city unto itself

Rotational Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsHuge. If you are good navigating fiefdoms, cliques, and bureaucracies, you will be able to find places to learn and places to go when you're through. A well-run, if gigantic, operation.

ConsFiefdoms means sometimes you're a serf. Big, and often risk-adverse. Integrated operations means a thicket of stakeholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology, and hire more CompSci folk as mainline analysts. You'll be glad you did.

Great company to work for

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosthe salaries are competitive if you bargain right, it is a huge firm so you are assured of career stability if that is what you are looking for. They give back to society a lot and there is a lot of room for growth and challenging opportunities.

ConsThere is less career mobility though the company makes a not of noise about it. there is hardly work life balance, another thing they make a lot of noise about, and the culture is a throat-cutting, backstabbing one.

Advice to Senior Managementdo not ignore your junior employees, because for the most part they do the real work, everybody else bs their way through work. Be appreciative of peoples effort, and only offer constructive criticism.

Equity Research Associate

Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIndustry leader with strong brand value.

ConsWithin research advancement can be challenging.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Investment Banking Analyst

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAs an analyst for 2 years, this was a great place to get started--lots of emphasis on mentorship and learning especially from the middle manager level. Compensation was consistently at or above the Street median. The deals you get to work with are usually large and impactful, due to J.P. Morgan's reputation and willingness to use its balance sheet to win deals. The investment bank continues to be an area of investment for the firm as a whole.

ConsWhile there was emphasis on mentorship from the VPs, there is no sense of that at the MD level--they are not helpful at all in post-banking recruiting for the most part. Work-life balance remains an issue--I hear it's better now but there would always be large amount of work and expectation of availability at all times. Deals are good but most deals you work on end up being debt deals, which are not the most marketable. Exit opportunities remain second-tier, as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and the elite boutiques (Moelis, Blackstone, Evercore, etc.) continue to place their analysts in the best positions after banking.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recommend going to bat more for your soon-to-be alumni and really develop a strong culture that carries with people after J.P. Morgan. This has not been a strong investment bank for many years, and so will need to work extra hard to achieve the same level of network effects that GS, MS and the others have, and which you see some of the boutiques start to build.

Derivative Trade Operations in Asset Management

Derivatives Specialist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Brand name, strong industry leading institution
    - Global presence with essentially every financial line of business in finance
    - Strong pay VP level and up

Cons- Cannot imagine a company where achievement being more contingent on bureaucratic standing
    - Frugal on pay before VP, often leaves employees under market on pay

Advice to Senior Management- Too many managers rule by fear and do not offer properly defined metrics for success in non-profit generating roles

Some good people but otherwise not a great place

Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLocation. Easy access in midtown.
    Some good people do work there in mid-senior mgmt roles and recognize the importance of work life balance. But this was few and far between. Overall, the company has a typical banking mentality.

ConsHours! I was working long hours and it was back office. Not worth it.
    Passive aggressive managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal management training. Not just to check a box.

Never should've left my previous employer...

Planning & Analysis Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros1. HQ is in a good midtown location.
    2. The people in my LOB's P&A groups are generally friendly.
    3. The company seems to take diversity and inclusion seriously.
    4. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in community service activities.

ConsHaving come from another financial services company, I find JPM to be a complete disappointment in terms of compensation & benefits, the quality of people, and mobility options.

1. Salaries in P&A groups are below market rate. Promotions are considered lateral moves...I've heard of several analysts promoted to associates and they only received 1-3% increases. There is absolutely no transparency to year-end bonuses...it's completely at your manager's discretion. The favorites in your group will be 'taken care of' and the rest of you should be lucky to even receive a year-end bonus.

2. The medical/health benefits are average. My previous employer offered a generous MRA/HSA contribution at the beginning of each calendar year, JPM does not (JPM makes four times the profit of my previous employer). You'll have to wait an entire year for the 401K match (my previous employer had a six-month wait).

3. I can't speak for the company overall, but the caliber/quality of P&A employees in my LOB is low. This company recruits support function (Finance, HR, etc.) employees from second and third tier colleges and it shows in the amount of wasted time and effort it takes to produce plans/forecasts/reporting. Most employees are resistant to change even though they know current systems and processes aren't efficient.

Everyone is afraid to leave the office at a reasonable time (5:30/6pm) because of how it will look to their manager/skip-level manager even though they have absolutely nothing to work on so they stay until 7pm or later just to appear dedicated.

People stay at JPM for years, but I think it's out of comfort and the ability to hide in the overwhelming size of the company than the company being a good place to work.

Mobility is very tough, tenured employees say it's nearly impossible to find a role outside your current LOB and it shows; P&A people move to other P&A roles despite their efforts to get out of it.

Diversity exists at the executive director level and below; MDs and above is the old boys' club with a few women allowed.

Riddled with politics

Applications Developer Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou get to benefit of working on some large scale projects with focus on minimizing down time and upkeep.

ConsDue to the large size of the company and the many levels of hierarchies it is not very easy to advance your career. Projects gets delayed far too often and are shut down as priorities often change.
    Hardly any employment benefits apart from 401K and average health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus hard on employee satisfaction to keep morale high and promote a better culture of collaboration.
    The low ranking employees are the most over worked without commensurate compensation.

Do the most, pay the least in the company.

Bank Teller (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPractice how to communicate with people and be a team player.

ConsIt is very hard to get promote.

Boring, unmotivated coworkers, unappreciated, underpaid in comparison to competitors

Senior Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsReputation of firm, stability of job

ConsLow pay, do the same thing everyday, having to be present for "face-time" purposes

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lose talent to competitors because you don't care to keep it

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.P. Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon. All 557 reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees.