J.P. Morgan

J.P. Morgan Reviews in Ohio

Updated Jul 20, 2014

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon

Jamie Dimon

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - Not just banker hours, but also a supportive management group(in 185 reviews)

• Great benefits and always tried to improve the work environment for there employees(in 161 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance may be sacrificed due pending on business priorities(in 202 reviews)

• Long hours, Projects were not always tested to the fullest before implementation(in 165 reviews)

220 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Management Issues

Quality Analyst Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsOverall company is great just not some departments. Loved my co-workers and benefits.

ConsSenior management needs personal conduct training. Treat all staff members the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat staff like humans. I was told I was to nice to my team. Who always made every deadline and worked hard everyday. Never ask your Manager to change information on a review to justify wanting people in there department to be reassigned.

Way too much red tape

Vice President (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsDecent benefits, good match on 401K, but not as good as it was a couple of years ago.

ConsRaises at less than the rate of inflation, bonuses only if and when management feels like it. Too many levels of obstruction and obfuscation to get things done quickly and efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better or when the job market has more opportunities (if it ever does) people will be streaming out the door for better employers

You make your money walking in the door, don't expect a lot of career growth.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat learning experiences and education opportunities and good people to work with lots of opportunities for varied experience the staff are very helpful with assisting you on your career

ConsDegrees mean nothing, long hours are expected, technology is at least 10 years behind and management is pretty disconnected from the working staff

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that 60hr weeks are not productive and when someone goes above and beyond normal efforts not expected efforts reward it with more than a pat on the back and a meaningless title.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough Organization to contribute a difference

Vice President (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsBig organization with locations all over the world

ConsBig organization and very disjointed. Difficult to navigate and accomplish small tasks.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

LOVE THE COMPANY... Hate the management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mentor, OH

ProsGreat benefits and incentives flexible.

ConsSelf absorbed managers that are only looking out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak for branch level, but don't promise anything to anyone.

UAT Team Lead for Loss Mitigation.

Testing Lead (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsA great place to work. Comfortable environment with all professional people who strive for greatness.

ConsNot able to become a permanent at the end of my contract.

Credit Risk Analyst, Private banking

Credit Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI like the working environment of JPMorgan Chase. There are lots of team support in my division.

ConsThe average working experience requirement is kind of high. In addition, the hiring process always confused me

Not for the weak

Technology Project Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsRoom to use your vision to make an impact - project managers who do more than just process will be very successful. Diversity is valued. The company is trying to become more innovative and creative, and to encourage employees to offer suggestions. Excellent company for veterans, with a strong focus on hiring them.

Consvery direct culture, often "New York" rude by midwest standards. Complex bureaucracy with lots of controls and policies requires you to learn the systems to get thing done. Expect to work more than 40 hours per week. 50 hours is common. Raises are below cost of living. You cannot afford to work for Chase for more than 5 years or you will be underpaid for your skills. Major re-orgs in top level technology leadership happening. Everything could change over the next few months, depending on how the re-orgs shake out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary/promotion is based on investment bankers who leave all the time for other firms. If you want to retain staff, you need to pay adequate raises, especially on promotions. Hiring replacements costs 150% of salary. Paying 3% to the employee would save you alot of money.

Overall Great Place to Work

Risk Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros-Amazing and motivating senior leaders.
    -Smartest and most strategic leadership at the senior levels.
    -Relatively generous benefit packages including pension, 5% 1:1 401k matches, annual 401k awards for certain salaries below limits, health care (while model changed to consumer driven two years ago it is still a good program), dental, eye and ability to earn free funds to ward healthcare each year by offering health incentives.
    -Great corporate citizens in local communities.
    -Innovative in new technologies.
    -Stable firm.

Cons-Treatment of internal promotions is horrendous in regard to corresponding compensation. In almost a decade at Chase I have been promoted 5 times and a now in/above middle management and am severely
    -More mangers than not lack the values that are demanded and exhibited by our senior leaders, which leads to pockets all over the firm of weak and lacking leadership. Seems the further down you get the worse it is. There are some GREAT managers and leaders, but harder to find.
    -Too many leaders at lower levels go with the status quo.
    -Too many leaders at lower levels do not stand up for their staff or what is RIGHT. Instead they elect to merely do what their manager says without fighting for what is right for their staff. Leadership courage is very rare at middle management.

Advice to Senior Management-Continue the best in class strategic planning that has made us successful.
    -Continue our focus on developing excellent leaders.
    -Continue instilling customer experience in every decision we make.
    -Continue developing talent at all levels for future success.

-We are losing too many talented and high potential employees at every level of the organization due to the following. This is based on what has happened to me personally, as well as what I have observed occurring to others, at all levels.

-Compensate deserving internal promotions (especially Exceeds and High Meets) AT THE TIME OF THE PROMOTION the actual salary you'd pay an external hire. The pay disparity between the rare internal increase approvals and external offers are offensive, kill morale, and cause us to lose top talent. In 8/10 cases your internal hire (Es and M+s) is going to have earned the external salary given his knowledge of our firm or specific expertise so it defies logic as to why we insist, in most cases, to compensate internal and external so differently. I love our company, have been relatively taken care of but am now at a point after several promotions where I am now almost forced to leave to be compensated accordingly. The more I am promoted the greater the disparity is growing.
    -Understand that promotions and merit increases for performance are two separate and distinct events. There are a very small amount of managers that see it this way and will fight for you to get it approved, and they do, but the vast majority believe if you're lucky enough to get an increase for a promotion, that it eliminates your ability to earn an end of year performance increase. The lack of managers standing up and fighting for what is right in regard to compensation is mind boggling to me because having managed several hundred people myself, compensation approvals are based on the manager making a solid case for the employee having EARNED the compensation. In almost a decade I never had an increase denied after making a solid case, yet most mangers throw up their hands and act as though they are powerless. Very frustrating to those that have done compensation planning in previous roles. Too many weak managers.

Great place to work

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsHuge environment, encounter problems of scale most places will never see. Good solid company leveraging essentially every product known to man

ConsOrg charts are very deep. If you like to be close to the decision makers and have real influence on what gets done this may not be the place for you..

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!