J.P. Morgan Reviews

Reset
3.4
J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon

Pros
  • They actually hold women's meetings to talk about how to achieve work life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Great benefits including a pension (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance was not so good (in 262 reviews)

• Very long hours (had to come in at 7 in the morning) (in 197 reviews)

1. Technical Project Manager

Former Employee - IT Project Manager/Vice President in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager/Vice President in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and salary; opportunities to grow and develop your career

Cons

impersonal; lack of communications in technology areas

2. Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of career opportunity and chances to be mobile

Cons

works employees 10x what other companies do

Advice to Management

promote more women

3. CDP Technical Analyst Intern

Former Intern - CDP Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - CDP Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, smart employees, impressive work space, great networking opportunities

Cons

difficult to get anything done due to approval requests

Advice to Management

pre-approve interns for security access

Connection with Upper Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During certain times of the year we have team building get together a where the upper management is involved with the different depts.

Cons

Upper management isn't aware of the daily conflicts we face in each department, not enough interaction with staff, not enough listening

Advice to Management

Great management makes great team , learn your staff and their job. Listen to their concerns and interact with them. You're staff want's to feel appreciated and understood.

6. Mortgage Banking Marketing

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Really nice people on immediate team.

Cons

Actually, it's large size often works against it being people friendly. Crappy parking.

7. Good employer

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

They have good benefits and flexible work from home arrangements. Upper management is ok depending on your department

Cons

It is difficult to move around the company and get compensated for your work. They have a lot of lateral moves or minimum increases.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the mobility options. Lose grear talent by not paying for the worm that is done by employees.

8. One of the best tech companies in Columbus

Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the Technology department and Chase is always looking to be innovative and be one of the leaders in the technology (especially financial) industry. That's one of the benefits of working for such a big, successful company. There are also great opportunities for mobility since there are so many departments/groups. This past year it seems like they're trying to actually listen to employee feedback and make the work environment better. Working at Chase is also a great resume booster! All the companies in Columbus know that.

Cons

With any big company, there are some disadvantages. My biggest problem is the compensation process. It seems like individual performance reviews are taken into consideration and it just depends how the department does. There are also many people who are lazy and don't do much and get overpaid. I came in through Corporate Development Program out of college which was supposed to help provided training and resources to be successful, but instead it held me back from moving up within the company. If you apply for a job out of college instead of participating in the Corporate Development Program, you'll get paid more. I don't know if the program has gotten better since I went through it, but I sure hope so.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain talent, reward talent.

Mortgage Banker

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Delaware, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people. I wish I had more positive things to say. Unfortunately, the benefits, pay, overall work balance was great when I started in 2002. Everything went downhill, hence, why I left.

Cons

I worked in a call center taking inbound calls as a Mortgage Banker. The leads were not distributed on a fair basis. They had a way of keeping the top dogs on top and bottom dwellers at the bottom. Hence, why there was a huge settlement after the dept was sued for discrimination.

Advice to Management

Overall, what a stressful and unsatisfying experience. Having to play the game of politics and all the bureaucracy that comes with it is not fun. It was an unhealthy environment for many. We faced discrimination on a daily basis, (race, gender, lead source, etc) as there was definitely not a fair playing field in Consumer Direct. I have given so much over my ten years with this dept, I feel like the life was sucked right out of me.

10. Manager

Former Employee - Associate in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well thought of company with a good reputation for earnings.

Cons

Customers are treated golden, employees are nothing more than a number. Technology is all geared towards the customer while employees work on outdated or retrofitted systems that are outdated or home made by someone. The only upside to this is employees remain employed. If Chase ever truly takes a look creating synergies/efficiences, a quarter of the workforce would be laid off.

Others say there is opportunity for advancement. That might be true in a call center where one starts as a phone associate and moves up to become a supervisor. Most opportunities come through lateral movement to another department, with no increase in pay. I've known many employees who became dissatisfied with their jobs and simply moved to another department. However, this is a 2 year trend as these same employees became dissatisfied with their new roles, and simply move from department to department. And so the trend continues.

Advice to Management

There is a phrase in Chase, "Do you want the REAL answer, or do you want the CHASE answer?" Basically, and sadly, senior managers never hear the truth. Therefore, employee issues are not resolved. Employee are bribed or threatened to give more positive feedback than is true. Managers see the "annonymous" employee comments, but in small departments it's too easy to know who the negative feedback is from. Senior leaders, please wake up before it's too late.

11. Business analyst lead

Current Employee - Vice President Business Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company provides internal opportunities for the career growth. Internal training on various technology topics and new trends in business.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy, not employee friendly, too many after work hours and weekend work. Not good at the rewarding employees.

Advice to Management

Build a trustful environment and life work balance for employees. Invest in career advancement for employes. Allow for the external training.

Showing 325 of 5,884 reviews