J.P. Morgan

www.jpmorganchase.com
Employer Engaged

286 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great place for experience, but need to jump ship to make the real money.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bountiful amount of vacation, sick, personal and holiday time. You almost get too many days off if there is such a thing. Diverse environment and people, Chase is a melting pot for many, many cultures. Certain departments will really take care of you in terms of raises and bonuses, however not all departments are that giving. Chase also utilizes the latest technology which maximizes efficiency in the office.

Cons

While Chase does have many notable upsides, their shortcomings unfortunately take the spotlight. Their toxic politics and unfair business practice make it a stressful place to work. They would rather you quit and get more money from another company, and then match you a year later if you came back, rather than just give you a good raise that you deserve. That is sad. I started with the firm almost 8 years ago and I took home more money on my 1st day than what I make now. They took wind that as an hourly employee, I made too much money in overtime. I was then 'promoted' to a salary position which was pretty much my base salary, minus all of the OT. I made 16k in OT one year, so imagine the significant pay cut I endured. I then 'promoted' several other times as a lateral move and received no additional compensation other than a yearly 1% merit increase. I finally did receive 1 raise as a result of a promotion, but out of 5 promotions they still fell very short of what's fair. My work kept piling up, and then was approached about training to be a code programmer and taking on the job. This is a very complex job and Chase paid quite a bit of money to train me and also promised a raise. I did the job for over a year and had to apply within the company for another position just to actually get a raise and job title change. The new job offer was not very good and I do not recommend working here if you do not already make a lot of money.

You should not promote a place that encourages you to find another job within another company, rather than just fairly compensate your employee. Chase is very stingy with salary and negotiation, they should actually calculate geographical averages rather than utilize the completely senseless means of calculating this number now.

Aweful

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Akron, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Co workers or nice people to work with

Cons

They are only concerned for themselves and about padding the pockets of the ivory tower executives.

Stand up for your employees. Train tellers to do more than just exchange cash and checks.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Excellent benefits for employees in terms of Paid Time Off (4 weeks vacation, 9 Federal holidays, 3 Personal days, and 6 sick days), Maternity - Paternity leave ( Moms get 12 weeks paid maternity leave, Dads get 1 week at the time of birth).

Cons

Too much politics inside the company. Internal job postings are plenty but you cannot even apply for them unless you inform your manager that you're looking. You getting or not getting the job completely depends on your current manager's feedback. Year end bonus and pay raises completely depends on your rating by your manager. The rating is finalized before you get to know. There is no discussion regarding the rating. Its more the management telling you the rating. If you're 'in the circle' then life's good.

Too many acronyms, too many systems that don't talk to each other, and too much politics.

Columbus colleagues are treated as if they are second class citizens

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is high for the area. Ability to move around the company and gain experience in various areas of the company.

Cons

Columbus area colleagues are treated as if they are second class citizens.

High-production, operations-based job site.

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

Exposure to world's largest bank.

Cons

This location is treated like a call-center and compensation/culture reflects. Managers often lack technical knowledge of their department and trumpet "leading people" despite having never worked in a given field.

A bureaucratic nightmare of poor documentation and poor programming practices while being surrounded with great people.

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are the main reason to work here, they are professionals and have a nice inclusive culture. Also, there is high mobility to move throughout the company, so potential to work anywhere in the world.
    However, since it is such a large company, it is possible your mileage may vary depending on which group you are in.

Cons

The heavy red tape that is involved with getting anything done is the largest challenge. Something that should take 10 minutes for a knowledgeable individual can take up to 3 weeks due to permission requests.
    Also, the culture is borderline workaholic, with cars arriving at 8 AM, not leaving until 6 PM, and many people taking desk lunches.
    As with the Pros, these might vary between departments. I have heard from others who barely work at all.

Focus on quality over deadlines. It appears counterproductive to push code design and creation as fast as possible before requirements are complete or the necessary tools are requisitioned. To me, it seems like it produces much more work for testing cycles and operate support, when if the code was done properly these teams should ideally have little to do.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

JPMorgan is top notch at balancing the employee and business need to create a secure positive work environment.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits / competitive salary / highly skilled employees create challenging work / top financial industry world wide / opportunity for growth / desire to encourage internal mobility

Cons

In my experience, in a large corporation of this size, everyone is replaceable and therefore employees are more concerned with protecting their own jobs; verses working at a team to create a universally better process and product for clients. Lacks a company culture that encourages creative and unified thought.

Promote those who will be best at the job they are being promoted to, not the job they're currently in. Some employees may be highest performers, but cannot thrive when managing people and there for we suffer by taking those talents off of the floor and into an office.

Always remember that training and stretch opportunities are imperative to an employee's success and we need to make time in our work day to continuously grow employees, not just master the current role.

Take time to talk to your team one on one. Every employee has something to say and every employee opinion matters.

It was an overall good company to work for.

Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Good pay, sound management, excellent benefits

Cons

Outdated processes, difficult to change positions

Didn't love it, but it could have been worse.

Former Employee - Consumer Loan Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Consumer Loan Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-I was overpaid for the type of work I accomplished in such an affordable city to live in.
    -It looks good on my resume.

Cons

-No room for growth/mobility within the company even though it's a huge company.
    -Really poor attitudes from most employees.

Praise your hard workers, not just your friends.

we work hard for our money, but there are good benefits.

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chase has good medical and retirement plans even for part-time employees. Plus they have backup childcare for employees which you pay based of your earnings.

Cons

There is always turn around because they aren't allowed to staff enough for the hours and clients to be serviced. It burns people out. Average time employees stay is probably 9months to 5 years. I know very few who have stayed consecutively longer than that. It is also hard to change sectors in the company. if you start in retail you will most likely stay there forever.

Have float relief people for retail. Especially in small branches, if one person is sick or on vacation it is too hard on everyone else. It's not okay to not allow someone sick time or make them feel bad about taking it because there is NO ONE else.