J.P. Morgan

285 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A perfect place to work

Former Intern - Corporate Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Corporate Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-great atmosphere
    -intelligent employees
    -above average compensation

Cons

-loose management (a company is too big which limits the time spent for mentoring and training

-improve training and mentoring program

Great place to work, but not for a long period of time

Current Employee - RCSA Senior Control Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - RCSA Senior Control Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

My Schedule here has always been very flexible. This is for me a very large pro. In all my years, I have typically been in charge of my own day to day business. Very little management oversight when you show responsibility. Chase is spending a good amount of money to try and make this a great place to work. There are activities from exercise classes to community events that Chase participates in. They have event days in the office for Hispanic month or breast cancer awareness. Often times this means bringing in food. They attempt to provide everyone with a nice Christmas party.

Cons

Chase will try very hard to keep you from earning more money. It is very common to apply for a new position that is clearly a higher grade and not be offered a higher salary. I have received an increase in the past for getting a higher grade, but I have also not received one. For the most part, people are not getting higher salary for higher jobs requiring more skills, experience, and responsibility. When a new employee joins your team from a different company, they will almost certainly make more than you. People who take higher positions outside the company will almost always earn more. Then if you look for a job at Chase again, you will be able to get a higher salary because you will be from outside.

This business is run well. Many of my managers have been hands off, and I have seen this style work well for teams in the past. Keep this up. When a tenured employee takes on a new role, if you truly like this employee pay him or her what you would pay someone from the outside. I would think it would be good to keep your best and brightest.

It was ok but they did not care about me as a person

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellent benefits work envirement. and location

Cons

you are a number. Your opinion does not matter

Talk to the employees sometime

They do right, what's right for them

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have good training for personal bankers, provide banker uniform

Cons

Watch out there are some branch managers that like to bully people

Watch some of your branch managers, they make more mistakes, break rules more than associates. Then they place blame on someone else.

A big company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some technology. Decent benefits. If you know how to play the game and move until you find the right situation, you can advance. There are decent groups where work can be rewarding.

Cons

Much of the IT is hurry up and waste your time with little chance to advance. In these poor areas, work/life balance is preached but not practiced. In the same poor departments, you only have about a 2% chance of ever being promoted - ever! Took a very large leap just by doing the same high level of performance under a different manger. Top performers get varying bonuses but rarely advance. All culture has been eliminated. Tools are watered down to the cheapest available or to the lowest denominator. Socializing is reduced to the Starbucks break or corporate sanctioned community service.

This isn't a company where you can feel like you contribute or build a career. It's an assignment and sometimes what you do might matter, but mostly it won't. There is plenty of training listed as available, but it has no value. This is a global company, so you are 1 of 100,000+ people with no culture or identity. Find exactly what you want or leave.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Support Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Support Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers decent compensation. The Columbus, OH office offers quite a bit for employee services.

Cons

Corporate Politics were out of control
    Middle to Senior Management were unprofessional and make poor decisions regardless of the best information they were given.

Management culture requires full repair.

Great pay, bad management kills it

Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pay
    - Looks great on a resume
    - Stay there to get experience for 1-2 years, then move on

Cons

- People with the loudest mouths and least amount of skill get promoted
    - Work-life balance - they even have a social media group and phone numbers to contact even on vacation...
    - Machines more locked-down than Fort Knox

- Work-life balance is REAL
    - Think about structuring projects
    - No one wants to confront a badly-behaving employee, but if you're management, that's your job. You're actively losing employees because you're scared to confront them, who now run the place

dedication is expected, great benefits, long hours.

Current Employee - Licensed Relationship Banker in Vandalia, OH
    Current Employee - Licensed Relationship Banker in Vandalia, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, good commission schedule, vacation time, and medical insurance is good.

Cons

long hours, constant changes in commission

have more consistent rules inside branches

Team Manager

Former Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a company I have worked for 24 years , this was due to the management staff, they were great in showing a great example on how to be. The training was tremendous and I was able to pass this down to my advisors that reported to me. This company has grown a lot in the over 100 years they have been in business. I have been compensated very well every year, Based on my performance, this was very encouraging to jump into the next year with a good sense of pride.

Cons

as in anywhere you work you are going to have people who did not get along, I felt our HR department was no quick to get in the issue and help resolve

they need to treat every employee like they matter, to be with them and encourage them along the way. This has been the case in most every instance. need to have open door policy and make themselves available on the floor

Challenging and rewarding

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Benefits Package, company values, name recognition, unlimited advancement opportunity, best training in the industry.

Cons

Mediocre work - life balance expectations, politics.

Cultivate trust and lead vs. manage.