J.P. Morgan

3.4
3,760 Reviews

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - Not just banker hours, but also a supportive management group (in 189 reviews)

• Great benefits and always tried to improve the work environment for there employees (in 162 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance may be sacrificed due pending on business priorities (in 203 reviews)

• Long hours, Projects were not always tested to the fullest before implementation (in 165 reviews)

More Highlights

229 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tough Organization to contribute a difference

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, OH

Pros

Big organization with locations all over the world

Cons

Big organization and very disjointed. Difficult to navigate and accomplish small tasks.

LOVE THE COMPANY... Hate the management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mentor, OH

Pros

Great benefits and incentives flexible.

Cons

Self absorbed managers that are only looking out for themselves.

I can only speak for branch level, but don't promise anything to anyone.

UAT Team Lead for Loss Mitigation.

Former Employee - Testing Lead  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Testing Lead in Columbus, OH

Pros

A great place to work. Comfortable environment with all professional people who strive for greatness.

Cons

Not able to become a permanent at the end of my contract.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Credit Risk Analyst, Private banking

Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Columbus, OH

Pros

I like the working environment of JPMorgan Chase. There are lots of team support in my division.

Cons

The average working experience requirement is kind of high. In addition, the hiring process always confused me

Not for the weak

Current Employee - Technology Project Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Technology Project Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Room to use your vision to make an impact - project managers who do more than just process will be very successful. Diversity is valued. The company is trying to become more innovative and creative, and to encourage employees to offer suggestions. Excellent company for veterans, with a strong focus on hiring them.

Cons

very direct culture, often "New York" rude by midwest standards. Complex bureaucracy with lots of controls and policies requires you to learn the systems to get thing done. Expect to work more than 40 hours per week. 50 hours is common. Raises are below cost of living. You cannot afford to work for Chase for more than 5 years or you will be underpaid for your skills. Major re-orgs in top level technology leadership happening. Everything could change over the next few months, depending on how the re-orgs shake out.

Salary/promotion is based on investment bankers who leave all the time for other firms. If you want to retain staff, you need to pay adequate raises, especially on promotions. Hiring replacements costs 150% of salary. Paying 3% to the employee would save you alot of money.

Overall Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Risk Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

-Amazing and motivating senior leaders.
    -Smartest and most strategic leadership at the senior levels.
    -Relatively generous benefit packages including pension, 5% 1:1 401k matches, annual 401k awards for certain salaries below limits, health care (while model changed to consumer driven two years ago it is still a good program), dental, eye and ability to earn free funds to ward healthcare each year by offering health incentives.
    -Great corporate citizens in local communities.
    -Innovative in new technologies.
    -Stable firm.

Cons

-Treatment of internal promotions is horrendous in regard to corresponding compensation. In almost a decade at Chase I have been promoted 5 times and a now in/above middle management and am severely
    -More mangers than not lack the values that are demanded and exhibited by our senior leaders, which leads to pockets all over the firm of weak and lacking leadership. Seems the further down you get the worse it is. There are some GREAT managers and leaders, but harder to find.
    -Too many leaders at lower levels go with the status quo.
    -Too many leaders at lower levels do not stand up for their staff or what is RIGHT. Instead they elect to merely do what their manager says without fighting for what is right for their staff. Leadership courage is very rare at middle management.

-Continue the best in class strategic planning that has made us successful.
    -Continue our focus on developing excellent leaders.
    -Continue instilling customer experience in every decision we make.
    -Continue developing talent at all levels for future success.

-We are losing too many talented and high potential employees at every level of the organization due to the following. This is based on what has happened to me personally, as well as what I have observed occurring to others, at all levels.

-Compensate deserving internal promotions (especially Exceeds and High Meets) AT THE TIME OF THE PROMOTION the actual salary you'd pay an external hire. The pay disparity between the rare internal increase approvals and external offers are offensive, kill morale, and cause us to lose top talent. In 8/10 cases your internal hire (Es and M+s) is going to have earned the external salary given his knowledge of our firm or specific expertise so it defies logic as to why we insist, in most cases, to compensate internal and external so differently. I love our company, have been relatively taken care of but am now at a point after several promotions where I am now almost forced to leave to be compensated accordingly. The more I am promoted the greater the disparity is growing.
    -Understand that promotions and merit increases for performance are two separate and distinct events. There are a very small amount of managers that see it this way and will fight for you to get it approved, and they do, but the vast majority believe if you're lucky enough to get an increase for a promotion, that it eliminates your ability to earn an end of year performance increase. The lack of managers standing up and fighting for what is right in regard to compensation is mind boggling to me because having managed several hundred people myself, compensation approvals are based on the manager making a solid case for the employee having EARNED the compensation. In almost a decade I never had an increase denied after making a solid case, yet most mangers throw up their hands and act as though they are powerless. Very frustrating to those that have done compensation planning in previous roles. Too many weak managers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Columbus, OH

Pros

Huge environment, encounter problems of scale most places will never see. Good solid company leveraging essentially every product known to man

Cons

Org charts are very deep. If you like to be close to the decision makers and have real influence on what gets done this may not be the place for you..

Good old 8-5 job, nothing exciting

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Columbus, OH

Pros

Good work life balance
    No long hours

Cons

Work becomes routine after first few months
    Career growth is very slow
    Work culture is not suitable for young people

Project Management

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Processes are mature, good diversity

Cons

career advancement, once you are in it is difficult to get promoted and negotiate raises.

Boring but good experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH

Pros

Nice employees / company structure / benefits

Cons

Poor future, industry is in shambles.

Quit being so typical.

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!