J.P. Morgan

J.P. Morgan Reviews in Pleasanton, CA

Updated Jun 28, 2014

J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon

Jamie Dimon

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - Not just banker hours, but also a supportive management group (in 189 reviews)

• Great benefits and always tried to improve the work environment for there employees (in 162 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance may be sacrificed due pending on business priorities (in 203 reviews)

• Long hours, Projects were not always tested to the fullest before implementation (in 165 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Large Company

Product Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsStability - if you work moderately hard, you can have a job for life. You can move slowly up the corporate ladder.

ConsIncentives are not there for hard work and accomplishment, and for technology they are too risk averse to build anything great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within, and change incentives from risk avoidance to innovation and change.

You get paid to cleanup people's crap, that is what I have been told by my direct manager and the one above.

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsIf you're coming from a good IT company, you can easily negotiate a good salary because low IT quality people usually apply to work for that company.

Cons- Managers tend to be intimidating if you speak up about your concerns
    - Most managers have no managerial skills
    - I have been assigned several times to projects that are completely outside my area of expertise
    - They do internal reviews to simply let managers use it against you
    - Old technologies
    - Very hostile environment
    - Very strict unpleasant environment
    - A very hierarchical organization

Advice to Senior Management- Don't bring up the subject of being paid a high salary to cleanup people's crap
    - Don't be jealous of your subordinates just because they get paid more than you. You get the good position they get the good pay
    - Demotivating your subordinates will not give you a raise
    - Don't interrogate your subordinates to know how much retention bonus they are getting
    - If you don't like your pay find another company that thinks that your skills worth anything

Analyst

Client Analyst (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsReally good benefits, willing to teach your job,

ConsHard to get a promotion

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive temporary contractor experience

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsSmart, dynamic and collaborative people

ConsThe business unit announced intention to exit the market

Troublesome time

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsJP Morgan is big big. the benefits are great, the pay if great and the services are great....... but read the CONS....

ConsAgain JP Morgan is big big. To many people running around trying to do too much. It is hard to get things done. Hard to get started and hard to communicate with fellow team members and internal groups. There is little cross team accountability. What JP Morgan loves is meetings, meetings and more meetings. Let's have meetings to discuss the status on the last meeting, and let's have a meeting to schedule the next. And let's include everyone in every email, so you'll have to read through 50-150 every day, least you miss something critical. Don't forget the stand-up meetings. Overall I was dissatisfied, when I raised concerns, regarding requirements and others not fulfilling their deliverables, we schedule a meeting not address the issues. Easier to push things out.... but let's not change the deadline.....

Advice to Senior Managementfewer meetings, more cross team accountability. Oh ans schedules aren't king, productivity is.

Chase has got some great work practices and methodologies - a great place to work

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood best practices
    Good Project SDLC
    Great Ethics

ConsLimited growth
    Manager employee interaction on the job is not great

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on career path for employees and job targetted training

Great People - Great Pay - Sometimes Very Frustrating

Product Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorked in a small group within JPMC, with great people
    Pay was good, and pay raises for hard workers were above average
    Company benefits and perks were above average
    Work Life Balance was good. Overall company name was well know and doing well.

ConsMy group never promoted within - in my 4 years there, only one of a dozen management positions was promoted within to a higher role
    Management is often more concerned with appearance than results. This trickles down to employees and often created bad attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results at the highest level. Hire people with industry experience and expertize in management roles. Hire within if possible

Bank management has no idea how to run a software house

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsVacation policy, 401K match and pension plan

ConsNo career advancement unless you know someone high up in NYC
    Team work is defined as you doing the job and everyone else who did nothing getting te praise and limelight. It also means that you take the blame when things go south

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your capable people.
    Jamie Dimon is good but everyone else is just crappy

Although a well known company JP Morgan Chase is not a good company to work for.

IT Incident Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsBenefits provided are better than normal
    Stable company regardless of the state of the economy.
    Fast pace working environment.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are not readily available.
    Cross training or knowledge sharing is not provided.
    Extremely competitive environment.
    Information on company status or changes are not provided until the day of the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and knowledge transfer so that the employees are able to reach their full potential. Keeping the employees up to date on the company news since they don't want to be caught off guard. Please ensure you are fully aware of the process before taking on the management roll.

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!