J.P. Morgan Reviews

3.4
J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon
2,064 Ratings

Pros
  • They actually hold women's meetings to talk about how to achieve work life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Great benefits including a pension (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance was not so good (in 262 reviews)

• Very long hours (had to come in at 7 in the morning) (in 197 reviews)

5,743 Employee Reviews

1. JPMorgan is one of the best places for people looking to learn and grow.

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at J.P. Morgan

Pros

It is a wonderful place to network and meet people who can one day help you achieve something in your career. There is plenty of various work to do in different departments/fields, so, as long as you try very hard and work, you can achieve anything. (Of course, there may be some brick walls you hit on the way, but come on - those are found everywhere. The difference here is - you can go around one and try a different path, if you just can't break straight through.)

Cons

At times, working for a big company like this, one may find it difficult to communicate with the level of management that can really cause a change in the workplace/department. Some brilliant ideas for improvement and innovation may get shut down and lost if one finds oneself stuck reporting to an incompetent manager. Though there are few such managers at JPM (simply due to competition), there is some likelihood you may find one.

Advice to Management

Try to establish more real relationships with your subordinates and their respective subordinates as well. Simple motivational speeches once a month, and outlines of goals & accomplishments are not enough! Be more proactive. See how an employee performs an actual task in person once in a while, and have some Q & A to accept feedback/suggestions from Junior people - some are more brilliant then you think!

JPMC a great place to work!

Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Employee Benefits, Diversity, Growth Opportunities

Cons

VERY Large company, sometimes difficult to get things done quickly

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they're doing. Great Business Model and focus on the customer.

3. JPMorgan Chase: Once your in, your nuts if you leave...

Current Employee - Applications Architect in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

The work/life balance at JPMorgan Chase is excellent. They are very flexible when it comes to work needs, life events, and other situations. For instance, I have been working from home for the last 18 months, and have found my productivity to be better than ever. This works for my situation because I can perform all my work tasks via telecommuting. This arrangement does not work for everyone, but JPMorgan Chase recognizes that everyone has a unique set of circumstances, and tries it’s best to do what’s best for everyone. They also have the best benefit packages I have seen. (vacation, health, retirement, etc...)

Cons

It's a very large company, so there are many bureaucratic things you need to be able to deal with.

Advice to Management

Offshore resources are not the answer management makes them out to be. Keeping knowledge experts inside the firm will produce a much better end product.

5. If you get a chance with Chase, don't pass it up.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Definitely a great place to work. Pay and benefits are based on other major companies. They do not try to make you believe that the industry base is lower than what it truely is. No micromanagement and you are evaluated on your performance and knowledge. They willingly get you classes to improve your ability to succed for both yourself and the company in a whole.

Cons

The only down side is that you have to work anyway for a living. Although you would probably be bored of that after a while. The only other down side would be that you don't already have a job there.

Advice to Management

Don't ever forget your current mind set of keeping your employees first. Your sucess is based on their happieness as you more than prove every day

Good people, smart leadership, great company.

Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

The financial industry isn't exactly the most stable place to be right now, but JPMorgan Chase has made good decisions in rocky times. They're in a better situation than their competitors, to the point where they can actually bail out other failing firms. The majority of my co-workers have been here for well over a decade, and that's nice to see in a time where job security seems to be a thing of the past. There's always something new to work on at JPMC (new applications, technologies, mergers and acquisitions, etc.), and no shortage of ways to grow within your own role, or shift to a new one. People make lateral and vertical moves here all the time, so moving to a position that better fits your skills is much easier than other places I've worked in the past. Senior management here is pretty darned smart. It's not the kind of place where you might look a few levels up the chain and think, "Sheesh, I could do their job." Here, it's pretty obvious that you couldn't. Their salaries are well earned; and throughout the firm, the distribution of compensation, responsibility, and appreciation is much more even than most companies for which I've worked. Across all the many lines of business, good people are appreciated, treated well, and paid well, here.

Cons

As a designer, I'm used to a more laid-back feel where dress code is concerned. However, this is a bank, and perception is always important. There are plenty of folks wearing jeans and polos in lower-level roles, but if your job falls a little further up the org chart, you'll do well to trade up for collared shirts, slacks, and smart shoes. T-shirts and shorts are right out. Fridays are definitely more casual, so save the jeans for the end of the week. Don't expect swanky offices, the newest hardware, myriad fringe benefits, or subsidized snacks. Jamie Dimon's philosophy for this company is to do more with less. Your computer might be a couple of years old when you start. The cafeterias are kind of expensive compared to other companies. Contractors sometimes have to pay to attend division functions. They may seem downright cheap at times, but here we stand, doing well enough (in a very rough economy) to acquire other highly-regarded firms. How can you argue with that? IT policies are also kind of annoying. It's a bank, so security is paramount. They don't limit Internet usage to a list of approved sites, but they do block a whole bunch of them. Don't expect to be checking your personal email, webmail, or social networking (LinkedIn is permitted) while at work... those ports and sites are locked out. The hypocrisy can be a bit annoying, though: they'll force certain software to be uninstalled, lock out flash drive use, or remove admin privileges en masse for "security reasons", and yet the company's standard web browser is (a fairly old version of) Internet Explorer. Nice. When you're one big exploit away from doom, who cares if you're using iTunes?

Advice to Management

Hire externally more often, and stop offshoring so much. There's a tremendous number of highly talented, creative, and passionate individuals here in Columbus and other US cities looking for work. Build more custom solutions (and support existing ones) rather than buying big turnkey packages that are a pain to customize and don't really fit anyone's needs in the end. Adopt emerging and alternative technologies much more quickly. We certainly have hopped aboard the Linux bandwagon, but the lack of enthusiasm for other very popular, successful new tools and products is disheartening. Finally, I'll give the same advice I'd give to any corporate leader: Innovation (real innovation) in a company like this happens in only one way: the work of a technologist inspires an artist, who, in turn asks for more from the technologist, who improves the technology... and it repeats in a wonderful loop. The fact is, this cycle tends to just *happen* -- independently of other processes -- when you hire good people. It not only needs to exist, but it must also be supported and encouraged. The amazing products you've seen on the cover of tech magazines didn't come from the executive team, middle management, or even product owners. Those killer apps came from engineers and designers, and were ever-so-delicately transitioned into the formal product development process -- mostly unadulterated -- and supported from the bottom up.

7. Boundless opportunities if you know how to spot them.

Current Employee - Vice President in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

There really are a lot of opportunities if you are able to spot them. Make sure to read up on how financial institutions work before you join or early after you join and take advantage of all the available training. Make sure you focus on a spot where things are happening and don't get lured into a dead-end spot of which there are many. Where you sit in these huge institutions makes all the difference

Cons

Very large corporation. Risk for people to get boxed into certain roles.

Advice to Management

Do a better job spotting poor managers. They harm the environment.

JPMC - Work hard, get paid well and get noticed

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

Compensation - I think large corporations have more flexibility and opportunity to pay for and keep top employees. Career growth - there are opportunities not only within my organization, but also within others and throughout the world. Work/life balance - there is a healthy respect for employee work/life balance. Working from home when needed, or varying hours isn't a problem. The company definitely works with you. Fairness & respect - I see a great mix of individuals employed within my organization. People are treated as professionals and that is carried through all levels of management. I haven't worked for a more consistent organization.

Cons

It's a large corportation -there's always a chance of getting lost in the crowd. It also makes it more challenging to stand out in your job, but for those who work hard and take advantage of the opportunities presented to them, it becomes easier. If you're looking for a place where you'll feel like you're part of a family, look elsewhere. Again, scale is the factor. Another thing that can be a downside for some: working in a world-wide organization can mean odd hours for you. Imagine conducting business with team members in Asia or Europe. You need to remain flexible and keep track of the impact to your life/work balance.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing top tier employees - it's not always evident that they value the best. Strive for greater parity in salaries within organizations - are team members compensated in a fair and balanced way?

9. All companies have problems; JP Morgan does a pretty good job.

Current Employee - Asset Management Vice President in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Asset Management Vice President in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to try many different things across multiple areas. I would only recommend working for an Line of Business as this is where the revenue is generated. The benefits are quite good compared to other companies in the area and there is a lot of flexible with my job in terms of working from home, working flex hours, etc. My current management chain trusts me and does a good job of promoting us across the Line of Business. Senior Leadership has positioned the firm to succeed in these difficult times for financial services organizations.

Cons

It can be impersonal at times in addition to the stupidity of the firm through the actions of the core functions. Individuals that are in customer service roles don't always know what it means to serve customers. Folks don't always think through decisions nor do they stop to challenge things when they see things that don't make sense. Some times I wonder what it takes for some folks to get fired or I get I should say released. Working internationally can be difficult because of multiple time zones and accomodating everyone on the call, meaning working evenings. Office space is tight.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on what makes us successful. Be willing to remove folks that are doing the job or were incorrectly promoted.

10. Deliver and the opportunities are there.

Current Employee - IT Architect in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

It mostly a very fair place to work. You make your own career. If you work hard and deliver results, then there is advancement for you. If you don't deliver, then you might be shown the door.

Cons

Constant reorganization. If you are someone that likes change, it's not bad. If you like things to be calm and steady then it's not the place for you. It's difficult to get beyond lower management and be promoted outside of New York.

Advice to Management

There are actually good people outside of New York. The management team should do a better job of remembering that and recognize that some of the best performers might not be just down the hall.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

The company is extremely large with vast opportunities for those who seek them out. For those that do not enjoy their job, there are many other opportunities to change careers or simply change teams.

Cons

If you do not tend to be an extravert, you may get overlooked, but for those who shine you may wind up in the right place at the right time. That's what it is all about right?

Advice to Management

Keep a pulse of those on the ground - the company has done a great job of pressing on during financial turmoil. That can all change quickly if enough attention is not paid to those who kept the machine oiled.

Showing 5,743 of 6,116 reviews