J Sainsbury

J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Not yet rated.

Mike Coupe

Pros:
  • "Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Discount card, Pension Scheme, Save as you Earn, Staff all friendly"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Was a good company to work for 5 years ago....not now

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGoal driven, bonus tied to company performance

ConsSome really strange company policies....became a horrible place to work when new management ruled to the letter of the law.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense and don't hide behind policies. Talk to your staff and be sincere.

Good on paper not in practice!

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

ProsFriendly colleagues and management team, up to 20% colleague discount off almost anything in store, flexible working arrangement.
    Having worked for the company for over 6 years things have improved vastly, compared to other retailers I've worked for (ASDA and TESCO) Sainsburys put a lot more effort into ensuring colleagues feel appreciated and involved.

ConsPromises of progression but too much focus on "if your face fits" and not on your actual ability. Often feels like a popularity contest with senior management, if you wont play the office politics that's it your career is dead ended.
    Poor salary, starting at only 17,500 as a department manager you're better off at ALDI who offer 35,000 a year with less responsibility and a much smaller team (can be expected to manage up to 400 colleagues with Sainsburys for your 17,500 compared to a team of 50 with ALDI)
    The good managers are constantly head hunted by other companies meaning you end up with the managers whom you think "how did they get that position?"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing the office politics and give more recognition to the colleagues and junior managers who are actually good at their jobs. Far too many of the middle and senior management team at store level get away with murder offloading their workload down the chain.

A good business which is let down by treating HQ staff as expendable human capital.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros- Relaxed office culture.
    - Good training programmes.
    - Decent benefits.

Cons- Lack of management support.
    - Unclear targets/goals/strategy for the division.
    - Very little collaborative working.
    - Senior Managers not delivering on their commitments to colleagues.
    - Lack of cultural/gender diversity.
    - Limited internal development.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeliver on your commitments to colleagues and be brave enough to be honest and manage teams with integrity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its a nice place to work and pay the bills

Counters Assistant (Current Employee)
    Hornchurch, England (UK)

Prosthe income is good, the staff are nice, nice enviroment

Consthe pressure put on you by the company to reach targets etc... instead of just getting on with the work that need to be done

Some great points, some horrible points

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues are great, made some great friends
    Pay and staff discount/bonuses are really good
    Working in different areas of store can keep things interesting (e.g Alcohol one day, pet food the next)

ConsLack of appreciation, you could work so hard your hands drop off and no one will say well done
    This will depend on your manager but mine was pretty useless, would hand in holiday forms and never get them back or get told you can be off then later told you can't or even that you can't then turn up for work and find out you are on holiday
    Workload could be excessive at times, impossible at Christmas

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make sure each colleague has a similar work load. Plenty of times there has been colleagues working like mad because they have so much to do while others are bored stiff because they have nothing to do. It becomes frustrating for both.

A great place to work

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Luton, East of England, England (UK)

ProsAmazing colleagues, team leaders and managers. Training in everything you need. Career progress!

ConsA lot of work to be done

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue at the same level and support their team leaders

If your management is great, the job is great, if not...

General Assistant Night Shift (Former Employee)
    Rugby, England (UK)

ProsNight shift wage was decent and increases when you stay for over 6 months. I ended on £8.42 an hour (including 6 month bonus).
    The management I had was friendly, approachable and very compassionate.
    Night shift created a very close knit team.
    It will get you incredibly fit.
    The staff discount and promotions are decent.
    When I needed to change my hours due to home life, my manager was incredibly helpful and accommodating.

ConsThe staff were incredibly depressing as they felt they had no potential. This poor self image is infectious to all the staff.
    A previously abusive manager who had been moved to another store was reinstated at the originating store which killed morale and we lost workers.
    The workload is incredible and if you do well, the workload increases tenfold. Immediate managers understand but the store managers take no consideration or try to help the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff when it comes to workload. The amount of work being expected and timescales are unrealistic - everyone is different but not everyone can get through breaking down and putting out 7+ boards a night.

Great little job that has seen me through college and university

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)
    Shiremoor, England (UK)

ProsNo experience needed. As long as you're a nice person who can hold a conversation then the job is pretty much yours. The maths test is really easy and the final assessment is about your values, asking you a number of questions where you select whether you strongly agree, agree, disagree or strongly disagree. The pay is reasonable in comparison to other jobs I have had, only a couple of pence short of M&S where I previously worked. It really depends what store you work in as every manager has a different style of leadership. The company seems to be doing well and the training is lot better than previous companies I have worked at. Overall I've had a positive experience, unlike some colleagues I know, however, it is like every company, there will always be those who have bad experiences. Do your job and you'll be fine.

ConsNot many full-time contracts unless you want to be a Team Leader which isn't much more money than a band 2 colleague even though you pretty much do a managers job e.g. running the department. I would only be a Team Leader to use it as a stepping stone into management. Members of the public can sometimes be challenging, but that's no different to working in any other shop. Disciplinary procedures (not that I had any) seemed quite harsh, especially for a supermarket (sorry, but that is all it is). Some team leaders and management could be quite rude while on a power trip and did not like being challenged. Other managers, such as my own were firm but fair which is how it should be. In a smaller store where the tobacco and lottery kiosk were joint with the customer service desk, it felt like you were chucked into the deep end and left on your own to serve one queue of customers waiting for either the kiosk or for a refund. You were left to learn from your mistakes resulting in annoying customers in the meantime.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional departmental specific training can be an issue and needs to be concentrated on majorly instead of chucking people in the deep end. Monthly briefing and Colleague Performance Reviews need to be done when they're supposed to be instead of being long overdue. Colleague benefits have been cut such as Sunday premium. Communication amongst all colleagues is a big issue which needs to be addressed so that colleagues are all doing the same thing so that it is consistent.

Brilliant

General Assistant (Current Employee)
    Derby, England (UK)

ProsTraining is excellent, colleagues are friendly, working hours are managed fairly. General work environment is happy, and everyone is proud to work together as a team.

ConsSome days are busier than others which is hard to prepare for, so the working day is unpredictable, though that could be part of the fun too.

nice people, good pay!

Cafe Assistant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThere are opportunities to progress and develop your skills and position, pay is good with opportunities for bonuses each year and people are friendly.

Consthe communication between management and people on the shop floor really needs to be improved. Often didn't feel particularly valued or part of a team.

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J Sainsbury reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe. All 174 reviews posted anonymously by J Sainsbury employees.