J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
312 reviews filtered by
3.3
Mike Coupe

Pros
  • Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days (in 15 reviews)

• paid holiday even on part time contracts no matter how long you have been there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied (in 7 reviews)

• Team Leaders are a total waster of time and spend most of them time sucking upto Managers (in 11 reviews)

1. CSA

Current Employee - CSA in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good student job, flexible working hours, good employee benefits

Cons

No clear route of progression through merit alone

Advice to Management

Improve graduate retention rate

Vile place to work

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really can't think of many positives to working at Sainburys!
    * staff discount but you have to work there at least 6 months to get it!

Cons

This really is the worst Job i have ever had!
    * The place is lifeless and the work is boring.
    * The pay is poor.
    * Hardly anyone talks.
    * The Management don't even introduce
    themselves to you. They are rude and bully the younger staff. If they Do talk to you its for a negative reason. They don't value their staff and have terrible people skills, plus they have no sense of humor i offen wonder what planet they have Come from.
    * Job is very boring and theres no sign of progression with It.
    * Team leaders stand about doing nothing and get away with out when others are working hard to try and get work done on time

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be lighten up and treat staff with respect regaurdless of age!

3. Started well but eventually it went downhill

Former Employee - General Assistant in Grays, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Assistant in Grays, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

. Good pay for what you do
    . lots of diverse age ranges so easy to get talking to people
    . Everybody works as a team

Cons

. Management is very unhelpful
    . Not trained properly
    . Treated very poorly by management
    . Dont care if youre a student - will contact you even if they know youre in a lecture

Advice to Management

Treat everybody fairly and dont pick your favourites and give the 'lesser' jobs to those you dont like

5. Not the best place to work.

Current Employee - General Assistant Night Shift in Hertford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant Night Shift in Hertford, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

Staff discount. Special offers from outside company's. It pays the bills.

Cons

Unsociable hours. Job/hour cuts. Poor atmosphere. Favouritism amongst some staff from management.

Advice to Management

Put staff were they are needed, better training. Assessment of staff (to many getting away with doing as little as possible).

Terribly run

Current Employee - Cafe Worker in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cafe Worker in London, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

Decent holiday hours and a discount card (only given after six months)

Cons

Very poorly run. Constantly understaffed and never seem to Employ new staff! Two people who left the cafe (the department I work) over two months ago are still yet to be replaced. Hours are constantly being cut back (making overtime near impossible) and meaning we are constantly understaffed and stretched. Recognition for hardwork is never given for example managers make observations on customer service. Three reds means a disciplinary whilst three greens....nothing. Furthermore the company goes against a lot of my morals. We are told that we have to lie to.customers about the way is cooled and prepared, the majority of which isn't microwaved (even the omelettes). We are told to serve food at a high quality yet can't tell the customers how it's made? I personally would want an honest answer. Stress levels are at a constant high in sainsburys and you are constantly screwed over in regards to hours and pay. One such instant is a fellow employee who was seriously ill due to stress and was told she would get paid for sick leave due to how long she was in hospital, at the end of the month was only paid £93 with three children to feed. Most employees are rude and disrespectful to customers and fellow employees, most complaints to Managers are mostly ignored and the store manager only seems to show his face when he wants Fish and Chips. An unnaceptable and dishonest company!

Advice to Management

I think my review speaks for itself

Good But Going Bad

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Wages (Below industry average)
    Management that have no people skills what so ever

Advice to Management

People skills training needed, as more presure put onto management the more they are taking it out on their staff

Food sampler

Former Employee - Food Sampler in Loughborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Food Sampler in Loughborough, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job. Set up stand with displays of product, food or drink. Promote items/ food /drink to customer. I worked at Sainsbury's for almost 2 years through a London based agency. Nice to sample the products too. Some training and hygiene certificate also. In my first few months I got star of the month award from agency spot checks. Got a glowing report from one of the managers.

Cons

A year later there is a new manager during my working period and has taken an instant dislike to me, tells the agency I am too brash but I can honestly say I don't remember insulting any staff members or customers. The manager told the agency I can't work there and we are all very confused. They can't find a place for me elsewhere so I have to leave. Another sampler is brought in about six months later. ~When I bump into a colleague I find out sampler is not there on a regular basis like me. So they must have got rid of me for financial reasons/or my trolley was getting in the way.

Advice to Management

It is best to be honest with an employee and let them know where they stand. Don't just get rid of someone because they are a contractor

Extremely Negative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, apart from the people

Cons

Do not value staff at all.

Not a Great experience

Former Contractor - General Assistant Night Shift in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Frequent breaks
    - Overtime was always available
    - You could listen to music on nightshift

Cons

- Very poorly paid for such a physically demanding job (I know it doesn't seem that way, but it takes it out of you)
    - I am a big lad and wasn't the quickest at stacking products on shelves, rather than been given coaching and help I was just told to pick up the pace, it was as a result of this that I wasn't kept on after my contract but my co-workers were.
    - I signed a contract to work 40 hours, and only worked around 20 of them, after ringing the store several times, no one answered my calls.
    - Advised I was happy to work the extra 20 hours
    - Was let go on my Birthday (After working a Christmas Eve day shift, and working a night shift all through my Birthday.
    - Lovely Eh?
    - Management is poor in this place, don't expect any help at all.
    - Sorry Sainsbury's but you need to buck your ideas up.

Advice to Management

Hire some new managers, or learn how to coach individuals who may not be quite up to standards, rather than just terminating their contracts.

Disgusting treatment by management and staff

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount was a bonus, beyond that I honestly couldn't name another pro and I'm just typing this to meet the minimum word count

Cons

I was not 'one of the lads' and I was unfairly treated and cast out/looked down upon by many people there for it. I was treated unfairly whilst working there when I refused to do additional hours because I had already had stuff planned and to top it off I found out I was getting let go by looking at the staff timetable and not seeing my name on there as opposed to at least one person coming up to tell me in person

Advice to Management

The newest store in Southampton was run well but the majority of the staff there are awful people and can't seem to interact with anyone who matches up with their lifestyle and ideologies. 0/10 would not consider working for the company again.

J Sainsbury Photos

Sainsburys
My work Place
With my supervisor (Right)

+ Add Photo