J Sainsbury

J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

J Sainsbury CEO and Director Justin King

Justin King

Pros:
  • "Convenient and the staff discount, although not generous, is useful"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance not reviewed as strongly as could be"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Boring repetitive work, long hours with physically demanding work"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

nice people, good pay!

Cafe Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are opportunities to progress and develop your skills and position, pay is good with opportunities for bonuses each year and people are friendly.

Consthe communication between management and people on the shop floor really needs to be improved. Often didn't feel particularly valued or part of a team.

Enjoyable experience with great team around

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at J Sainsbury

ProsGood career opportunity as there are many options to take within the retail sector , range of roles help keep motivation high

ConsCompany expect you to work more hours than you should

Rubbish

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

ProsNothing good at all apart from the people

ConsBoring and not interesting so is not valuable

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the management as they cannot manage

If i could give less than a 1 star rating for J Sainsbury (Thurmaston, Leicester), I would!!!

Shelf Stacker (Former Employee)
Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are probably more pro's working in an Indian sweatshop for a bowl of soup.

ConsThere are lots of cons, but don't think there would be enough space here to list them all.. Here's a few - They work you like a dog and treat you like something they'd wipe off their shoes.
The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make.. the Rockwell song somebody's watching me should be their theme tune.. wouldn't surprise me if they had camera's in the bogs, timing how long you took to take a dump!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should quit Sainsburys and join the prison service.. I'm sure wormwood scrubs would benefit from your management style.

ok

Bakery Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Prosi can make independent decision on my shift

Consit is a low paid hard job

Advice to Senior Managementno trainings and promotion.glass bar between managers and collegues

"Great Place to Work" NOT

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time

ProsBonus, sick and holiday pay, family friendly. Not much in the way of Pros. Struggled to put this together

ConsIf you are without children you are a low priority in requests for shift and or contract changes. A colleague once asked to work alternate Saturdays so they could have a free weekend twice a month but was denied because two other colleagues had children or a child. Managers (not all) are very very very condescending and patronizing care more about making themselves look better on paper than actually caring about their colleagues' welfare. An example was a Christmas party was cancelled due to lack of interest because of low morale and the general feeling of not wanting to spend an evening with a manager or person that makes their working life hell. To date not a single manager has asked as to why no one wanted to go. Morale is a unimportant non existent entity to Sainsbury's. If you're not working for Sainsbury's with a mind of a career then you have little hope from managers or gaining any promotion. The bonus is very very meagre. You could argue it's more than some. But it IS less than most. The bonus does NOT reflect how much you have worked for the company (does not take into account overtime) the bonus only reflects your flat contract rate at approximately a weeks worth. So for example somebody on a 12 hour contract who works on average 30+ hours a week including overtime will only receive 12 hours worth of bonus. Other retail companies match what the colleagues work including overtime, John Lewis for one

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is extremely important.

Not what it says on the tin!

Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time for less than a year

ProsA handful of genuine nice colleagues and location was central. How to fill a space otherwise when it was one worst companies ever to work for.

ConsLong hours expected daily in the offices, at least 10 hours if not 12 to "support the business and be part of the company"is what you are told at a review... one word JOKE, and no overtime or time off in lieu. Pretty poor really.Then expected to give time freely several times a year to go work in a store in your own time. This company make billions! Very disappointed. Had great expectations when joining. Won't shop with them ever based on principal. Alot has changed since they started rearranging their London offices and cutting back on the number of heads required in various departments and then to do the same amount of work. They expect you to work for the prestige of the name on your CV. Keep clear of this employer if you are anyway ambitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey were very bullying into telling you to work long hours. If you didn't you were told your work is not of standard! What a joke. Never a thanks given in return. Is it possible to give zero stars! Justin King should read these comments!

A great company to work for who cares for its employees

Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people work file balance is good

ConsLess technical roles less technical advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote technical skills amongst employees

very good very good

Sales Graduate (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than a year

Prosenjoyable, rewarding, development, respect, performing

Constime, effort, hours, etc, yeah

Advice to Senior Managementyeah yeah yeah yeah

Flexible

Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

ProsI like working at Sainsburys because as a student, I appreciate flexibility. Sainsburys offers a lot of freedom for students by offering unpaid leave and holding your job

ConsTypically doing the same tasks everyday so there is quite a lot of repetition in your work life but it's comfortable.

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J Sainsbury reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J Sainsbury CEO Justin King. All 143 reviews posted anonymously by J Sainsbury employees.