J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Mike Coupe

Pros
  • Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days (in 12 reviews)

• Job is varied, discount card is great/ (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make (in 12 reviews)

• I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

General Assistant

Current Employee - General Assistant  in  Huntingdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Huntingdon, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good colleagues and managers
    Good communication of company activities
    Very helpful in moving stores when I was at university

Cons

A lot of management/ colleagues that are there for an easy ride, making the workload for others higher
    Training / monthly briefings can feel a little childish

Nice atmosphere, nice people

Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Groceries Online Shopper in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice, working in team was great, the company offers good salary and knows how to reward effective employees.

Cons

Maybe the fact that people are assigned to one department and do not interact too much with the others... but I was only there for a few months so you can moderate my opinion here.
    I was also disappointed to have only a part-time position but I was still worth it.

Up and Down

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Since joining Sainsburys 7 years ago it has been a constant source of income and I have never felt insecure about redundancy or losing my job. It is a great company to work for but to work in retail you must be a particular type of person - patient, hard working and reliable. You must dedicate yourself to the job but I have never felt mentally challenged in this role due to the nature of serving customers, stacking shelves and other mundane tasks. I have been a student whilst working at Sainsburys and they are very flexible with my education responsibilities. After working at the company for 3 years you are paid for your sick pay and generally the managers are easy to get along with.

Cons

I have never felt the need to go above my role as an assistant on a department but I have seen others try and fail down to reasons I could never understand, as I knew the person to be hard working, passionate and commit to the job without complaint. I have seen people not being paid correctly, sneaky decisions being made and overall I believe the disciplinary system is a disgrace. You are treated as a child when you ring in sick and are made to feel awful and guilty when things like "your letting your team down" or "it looks like you have planned this sick time off". I feel like a number here not a person and I think it is absolutely diabolical when the management say things like this and yet they dont hire any staff because they dont want to spend the money till the time is convenient for them. I am currently working on a department which is short staffed and being asked to commit my time over my contract, there is too much pressure being applied to the existing staff.

Talk to the staff on the department and get advice from the people who work on it every day other than giving orders out without considering our view. I believe upper staff could do more to make sure everyone is happy in their job, and to recognize when something needs doing for the staff rather than when convenient for them i.e hiring

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a good company to work for 5 years ago....not now

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Goal driven, bonus tied to company performance

Cons

Some really strange company policies....became a horrible place to work when new management ruled to the letter of the law.

Use common sense and don't hide behind policies. Talk to your staff and be sincere.

Good on paper not in practice!

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues and management team, up to 20% colleague discount off almost anything in store, flexible working arrangement.
    Having worked for the company for over 6 years things have improved vastly, compared to other retailers I've worked for (ASDA and TESCO) Sainsburys put a lot more effort into ensuring colleagues feel appreciated and involved.

Cons

Promises of progression but too much focus on "if your face fits" and not on your actual ability. Often feels like a popularity contest with senior management, if you wont play the office politics that's it your career is dead ended.
    Poor salary, starting at only 17,500 as a department manager you're better off at ALDI who offer 35,000 a year with less responsibility and a much smaller team (can be expected to manage up to 400 colleagues with Sainsburys for your 17,500 compared to a team of 50 with ALDI)
    The good managers are constantly head hunted by other companies meaning you end up with the managers whom you think "how did they get that position?"

Stop playing the office politics and give more recognition to the colleagues and junior managers who are actually good at their jobs. Far too many of the middle and senior management team at store level get away with murder offloading their workload down the chain.

A good business which is let down by treating HQ staff as expendable human capital.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Relaxed office culture.
    - Good training programmes.
    - Decent benefits.

Cons

- Lack of management support.
    - Unclear targets/goals/strategy for the division.
    - Very little collaborative working.
    - Senior Managers not delivering on their commitments to colleagues.
    - Lack of cultural/gender diversity.
    - Limited internal development.

Deliver on your commitments to colleagues and be brave enough to be honest and manage teams with integrity.

nice crowd...love em

Current Employee - General Assistant Night Shift
    Current Employee - General Assistant Night Shift

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Pros

ok for side income or pocket money!!!

Cons

physically demanding night shift....one person responsible to fill the entire isle!!!! too much for one person!!! most of them develop back pain!!! so much staff turn over!!!

please do job sharing isle filling work!!!!!!!!!

Ever-changing, multiple opportunities for development!

Current Employee - Store Manager Convenience  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager Convenience in London, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly, flexible supportive company which will encourage you to progress as far as you want to and are comfortable. Opportunities for transfers, secondments and multi-skulking across divisions.

Cons

Have to be autonomous even in a large store, retail is a challenging environment and very changeable, demands of store or department can change on a daily basis, change programmes must be supported regardless of your personal opinion and /or knowledge.

its a nice place to work and pay the bills

Current Employee - Counters Assistant  in  Hornchurch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Counters Assistant in Hornchurch, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the income is good, the staff are nice, nice enviroment

Cons

the pressure put on you by the company to reach targets etc... instead of just getting on with the work that need to be done

Some great points, some horrible points

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are great, made some great friends
    Pay and staff discount/bonuses are really good
    Working in different areas of store can keep things interesting (e.g Alcohol one day, pet food the next)

Cons

Lack of appreciation, you could work so hard your hands drop off and no one will say well done
    This will depend on your manager but mine was pretty useless, would hand in holiday forms and never get them back or get told you can be off then later told you can't or even that you can't then turn up for work and find out you are on holiday
    Workload could be excessive at times, impossible at Christmas

Try and make sure each colleague has a similar work load. Plenty of times there has been colleagues working like mad because they have so much to do while others are bored stiff because they have nothing to do. It becomes frustrating for both.

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!