J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
284 reviews filtered by

Retail Assistant

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well paid, quite flexible when it comes to dealing with students

Cons

Often training isn't very detailed, get thrown into the deep-end, takes a long time to receive any benefits or discounts (6 months)

Could be a lot better

Current Employee - General Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible Shifts
    -Opportunities to move departments
    -Friendly colleagues
    -Overtime always available

Cons

-No opportunity to improve unless your mother/father/friend/some other relative is a manager or knows a manager, OR you do some major sucking up/sleeping around. If either of those applies to you, you don't need to be good at your job to get a promotion.
    -Overtime is still paid at the standard hourly rate
    - Store managers generally have no idea about each individual department and don't listen to department managers, which ends in colleagues doing pointless tasks which don't improve sales and are unpopular with customers and colleagues.
    -Head office implement rules to each store and it's a one size fits all policy. It doesn't work and it fails to acknowledge the diversity of it's customers and colleagues.

-Stop enforcing the same rules for each region/store, treat each location as an individual
    -Do not allow colleagues with relatives and friends in management become team leaders/managers in that store, if they want to advance they should be moved stores to ensure it is not just handed to them on a plate.
    -Stop rewarding idiotic customers who complain and lie about innocent colleagues just so they can get a freebie, use common sense in these scenarios instead of rewarding them for their stupidity.
    -Change MCM rules dependent on store - it is ridiculous that the same rules apply to all stores when all are entirely different.
    -Stop allowing your store managers to humiliate and bully colleagues, I don't care how much money you pay them, it doesn't give them the right to speak to anyone like they're a piece of crap.

3. Good interact with colleagues and customers

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

Flexible able to change shifts with other colleagues

Cons

Not enough hours would like more

5. Deli counter - fairly fun but dull at quiet moments

Former Employee - Counter Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Counter Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury

Pros

- Working with customers and chatting about all kinds of things - you get to witness a whole spectrum of society across the week (and depending on your shifts)
    - Get to learn about a variety of cheeses and other products
    - Colleagues can be fun

Cons

- When you're not serving, there's always cleaning to do...unless you've finished the cleaning in which case just clean anyway, but it can get extremely dull
    - The cold, sometimes
    - The white net hats you have to wear aren't exactly comfortable

- Learn about what the deli counter does and put a manager in charge in who actually deserves it rather than it being based simply on nepotism

Customer Sales Assistant

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Portsmouth, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unskilled, various and wide hours available, good amount of training, bonus at the end of the year, very strong "team" mentality

Cons

Getting a day off approved needs to have 4 weeks notice in advance, as does swapping a shift.

Don't work here if you can't handle being treated like dirt by customers

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Ealing, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Ealing, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (more than a year)

Pros

10% discount, 6 weeks paid holiday on a 24 hour contract (more holiday than most places), colleagues are friendly so its a good environment to make friends, previous experience isn't required, paid breaks.

Cons

At my store the majority of customers looked down on you and treated you like crap.
    Many of the team leaders and deputy managers are sexist. For example, if a girl and boy start at the same time, the boy will be on the shop floor having a laugh with the colleagues while the girl is left on the till on her own all shift when they are supposed to swap and let all colleagues do a bit of everything. Some team leaders make comments about how girls can't work the stock because it is too heavy or too hard for them which is simply untrue.
    Management choose their favourites and decide one rule for them and different rules for everyone else.
    Management don't care about their colleagues or their wellbeing.
    Managers don't know how to do basic tasks on the shop floor and while the colleagues are struggling because they don't have enough staff for the shift (which is the manager's fault), the manager will sit in the office.
    The management are rewarded with bonuses etc for work the colleagues have done.
    When a customer makes a complaint or suggestion about something in the store and you pass it on to the manager, they couldn't care less.

Listen to the customers.
    Put up a sign about not tolerating abuse to colleagues.
    When new promotions and store changes are brought in, communicate them to your store team so they can help customers when they ask about it.
    Get up on the shop floor and help out when the store is busy and the colleagues are struggling.
    If a colleague fails MCM, ask them if there was a reason they weren't happy when serving the customer instead of just shouting at them.

8. For what it was, it was fine.

Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Shrewsbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

I worked at J Sainsbury

Pros

Good company, above minimum wage.

Cons

Boring work, but there is scope to move around.

9. good company to work for

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

large company with lots of opportunities

Cons

reduction i market share in years ahead

listen to customers

Terribly run

Current Employee - Cafe Worker in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cafe Worker in London, England (UK)

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

Decent holiday hours and a discount card (only given after six months)

Cons

Very poorly run. Constantly understaffed and never seem to Employ new staff! Two people who left the cafe (the department I work) over two months ago are still yet to be replaced. Hours are constantly being cut back (making overtime near impossible) and meaning we are constantly understaffed and stretched. Recognition for hardwork is never given for example managers make observations on customer service. Three reds means a disciplinary whilst three greens....nothing. Furthermore the company goes against a lot of my morals. We are told that we have to lie to.customers about the way is cooled and prepared, the majority of which isn't microwaved (even the omelettes). We are told to serve food at a high quality yet can't tell the customers how it's made? I personally would want an honest answer. Stress levels are at a constant high in sainsburys and you are constantly screwed over in regards to hours and pay. One such instant is a fellow employee who was seriously ill due to stress and was told she would get paid for sick leave due to how long she was in hospital, at the end of the month was only paid £93 with three children to feed. Most employees are rude and disrespectful to customers and fellow employees, most complaints to Managers are mostly ignored and the store manager only seems to show his face when he wants Fish and Chips. An unnaceptable and dishonest company!

I think my review speaks for itself

11. yes to sainsbury

I have been working at J Sainsbury

Pros

it is very good yaay

Cons

hard to move department if want to

J Sainsbury Photos

Sainsburys
My work Place
With my supervisor (Right)

+ Add Photo