J Sainsbury

Not yet rated.

Mike Coupe

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

General Assistant

General Assistant (Current Employee)
    Huntingdon, England (UK)

ProsSome good colleagues and managers
    Good communication of company activities
    Very helpful in moving stores when I was at university

ConsA lot of management/ colleagues that are there for an easy ride, making the workload for others higher
    Training / monthly briefings can feel a little childish

Student currently working to afford studies and student life

Shelf Stacker (Current Employee)
    Bridgend, Wales (UK)

ProsCurrently on dual contract so can work in a store near university and another at home

ConsDemanding work load, especially with employees who don't 'pull their weight'

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees should pull their weight! Have previously mentioned in 'talk back' but still nothing done. Very annoying and demotivating when you're paid at the same level of others who constantly disappear and have very poor work ethic

Great for working a long side college

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly staff.
    Staff discount
    save as you earn scheme
    lots of opportunity to get involved for charity fundraising

ConsMoney
    lack of career development
    Disciplinary for one day off sick

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on staff who would like to develop

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service Assistant

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)
    Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGood bunch of people

Consits boring
    team leaders are lazy

Advice to Senior Managementstaff need to be better rewarded

Up and Down

ProsSince joining Sainsburys 7 years ago it has been a constant source of income and I have never felt insecure about redundancy or losing my job. It is a great company to work for but to work in retail you must be a particular type of person - patient, hard working and reliable. You must dedicate yourself to the job but I have never felt mentally challenged in this role due to the nature of serving customers, stacking shelves and other mundane tasks. I have been a student whilst working at Sainsburys and they are very flexible with my education responsibilities. After working at the company for 3 years you are paid for your sick pay and generally the managers are easy to get along with.

ConsI have never felt the need to go above my role as an assistant on a department but I have seen others try and fail down to reasons I could never understand, as I knew the person to be hard working, passionate and commit to the job without complaint. I have seen people not being paid correctly, sneaky decisions being made and overall I believe the disciplinary system is a disgrace. You are treated as a child when you ring in sick and are made to feel awful and guilty when things like "your letting your team down" or "it looks like you have planned this sick time off". I feel like a number here not a person and I think it is absolutely diabolical when the management say things like this and yet they dont hire any staff because they dont want to spend the money till the time is convenient for them. I am currently working on a department which is short staffed and being asked to commit my time over my contract, there is too much pressure being applied to the existing staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the staff on the department and get advice from the people who work on it every day other than giving orders out without considering our view. I believe upper staff could do more to make sure everyone is happy in their job, and to recognize when something needs doing for the staff rather than when convenient for them i.e hiring

Nice atmosphere, nice people

Groceries Online Shopper (Former Employee)
    Southampton, England (UK)

ProsPeople are nice, working in team was great, the company offers good salary and knows how to reward effective employees.

ConsMaybe the fact that people are assigned to one department and do not interact too much with the others... but I was only there for a few months so you can moderate my opinion here.
    I was also disappointed to have only a part-time position but I was still worth it.

nice crowd...love em

General Assistant Night Shift (Current Employee)

Prosok for side income or pocket money!!!

Consphysically demanding night shift....one person responsible to fill the entire isle!!!! too much for one person!!! most of them develop back pain!!! so much staff turn over!!!

Advice to Senior Managementplease do job sharing isle filling work!!!!!!!!!

Ever-changing, multiple opportunities for development!

Store Manager Convenience (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly, flexible supportive company which will encourage you to progress as far as you want to and are comfortable. Opportunities for transfers, secondments and multi-skulking across divisions.

ConsHave to be autonomous even in a large store, retail is a challenging environment and very changeable, demands of store or department can change on a daily basis, change programmes must be supported regardless of your personal opinion and /or knowledge.

Nice place to work

Technical (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery flexible people, there isn't any real minute minding and as long as you get on with it they will in general leave you to your own devices

ConsNo two departments talk to each other. Each is a separate island and none shall cross! Very old fashioned company with a lot of dead wood.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your process, get the teams talking to each other. And remove all the unnecessary blocks in between each area.

Good on paper not in practice!

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

ProsFriendly colleagues and management team, up to 20% colleague discount off almost anything in store, flexible working arrangement.
    Having worked for the company for over 6 years things have improved vastly, compared to other retailers I've worked for (ASDA and TESCO) Sainsburys put a lot more effort into ensuring colleagues feel appreciated and involved.

ConsPromises of progression but too much focus on "if your face fits" and not on your actual ability. Often feels like a popularity contest with senior management, if you wont play the office politics that's it your career is dead ended.
    Poor salary, starting at only 17,500 as a department manager you're better off at ALDI who offer 35,000 a year with less responsibility and a much smaller team (can be expected to manage up to 400 colleagues with Sainsburys for your 17,500 compared to a team of 50 with ALDI)
    The good managers are constantly head hunted by other companies meaning you end up with the managers whom you think "how did they get that position?"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing the office politics and give more recognition to the colleagues and junior managers who are actually good at their jobs. Far too many of the middle and senior management team at store level get away with murder offloading their workload down the chain.

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J Sainsbury reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J Sainsbury CEO Mike Coupe. All 146 reviews posted anonymously by J Sainsbury employees.