J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College

J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

This is a community college.

I have been working at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College

ProsThe mission is a good one as it seeks to educate all kinds of individuals in the community and provides workforce development.

ConsSometimes, the pay at the adjunct level doesn't compare to a full-time faculty's salary.

On the fence

Division Support (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Hours, No Weekends, Great health benefilts

ConsPay not equal to private sector

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable

Great aspirations

Richmond, VA

I have been working at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe higher up administrators are excellent. There really is a great attitude of helping people succeed with their dreams, which is the point of any institute of higher learning. Some newer hires have really made some great improvements, and it'll be good to see more of that as time goes on.

ConsThe different departments are really separated, and communication seems to be a problem. After a middle-management level, something breaks down. People who are just there to get a paycheck are rampant, and it's frustrating when you see so many small things that could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's okay to set reasonable expectations and then if people don't meet them, it's okay to have some sort of repercussions for that. It's okay to fire people who are truly ineffectual.

Disappointing

I have been working at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College full-time for less than a year

ProsState benefits, centrally located, tuition plan, employee recognition system, ability to observe students advance their station in life through accessible higher education

ConsPolitics and competition foster a culture of distrust and skepticism. You need back alley deals in order to get anything done. Certain leaders exploit the system to the detriment of the college.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a more collaborative culture, weed out the culture of divisiveness.

Worked for J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College employees.