J&L Marketing

J&L Marketing Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Scott T. Joseph

Great Company

Promotion Coordinator (Current Employee)

Pros*Decent Pay
    *Opportunity to Travel
    *Friendly Management Staff
    *Schedule flexibility
    *Good training program and supervisors who are always accessible for question

Cons*Depending on the region, promotion event opportunities may be scarce, making J&L an unstable source of income.
    *Limited earning potential.
    *Because of the number of PCs needed to service the entire country, it's evident that J&L, on occasion, unknowingly hires unqualified/unprofessional PCs who may damage the company's reputation with clients.
    *Virtually no men in PC positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professionals, not every cute college girl that applies.

Fun, growing company

Louisville, KY

ProsI love the people I work with. This is an informal culture where people can get their job done but without being stuffy about it.
    I think most of leadership is approachable and wants to help.
    You can become more than your job title, if that is something you want. I like that people who want to make a name for themselves can do so.
    This is a team environment.
    Fun perks; tickets, company events, and lots of community involvement.
    I like that it is a smaller company and change can happen quickly!

ConsThere has been a lot of growth and there has been some growing pains. If you aren't OK with sometimes working harder than 40 hours a week, this won't be the right job for you.
    This company is smaller and isn't as streamlined as large corporations, if you aren't comfortable with being resourceful, this might be a hard place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I think they do a good job of complimenting the team, but who couldn't use more positive feedback!

Great Company

Louisville, KY

Pros- Friendly, hardworking staff. Everybody takes the job seriously, and works well together to get things done.
     - Fun environment. Constantly organizing off hour activities for team building and fund raising.
     - Owner is very driven with high standards, but also extremely outgoing and friendly. Often rewards staff with tickets to events in and around the city.
     - Very successful and offers good products. Good sales staff do very well.
     - If you want to go to into sales and have little or no other experience, know that they train new sales staff. Could be a great place to start if you are up for the work.

ConsIt is a sales driven company, and about half the employees are commissioned salespeople, so there is a natural amount of turnover. To deal with potentially short term employees, some benefits (health care) are delayed slightly to ensure staff will stick around. This can be frustrating for salaried staff who plan on staying for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to trust your people and hold them to high standards.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long hours, low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat christmas party, mostly nice people

Consget ready to work until 9pm, or midnight

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to better operate with the current staff or hire more people

Awesome learning experience and great atmosphere

Louisville, KY

ProsThe people, very team oriented. Great place to work, fun environment.

Consduring busy times of the year you may have to work an extra hour here and there but what job doesn't. If you are a good employee and care about your company/job it shouldn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagment takes good care of the employees...keep it up!

Job was a lot different than it was described

Sales (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsVery detailed 6 weeks of paid training that will help you overall skills. Great people in all parts of the company

ConsJob was described as account management and sales for B2B. Job turned out to be a call center and you can expect to make 75 to 100 cold calls a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour very high turnover rate should indicate that the job is not as you are describing it.

Best Marketing Experience!

Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsHands down, the best place to work. The entire PC team is awesome and very understanding when it comes to work/life balance. Definitely recommend it to any outgoing, energetic college student who wants to gain great marketing and sales experience and make a little extra money. The perks are awesome too!

ConsLiterally cannot think of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all are AWESOME. Could not ask to work with a better team.

Good company to work for!

Promotion Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsPaid travel & expenses, fun, energetic work

ConsWish they had more events! Usually only weekends also.

Excellent place to make a career

Business Growth Strategist (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsThe training program was second to none. I've had three B2B positions in my career and learned more about the art of selling in the 6 week training program than I did in those other three positions combined. Yes, they expect you to work hard and set as many appointments as you can. Why wouldn't you want to? No matter who you work for or the product you're selling, all sales is a numbers game. The more calls you make, the more appointments you set, the more sales you close. There is a certification process in order to be assigned a territory with National Accounts with BMW, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and MINI. In all honesty, it's in the company's best interest to do it this way. Lots of hard work went into obtaining and maintaining these national accounts with some of the most respected names in the auto industry. Speaking for myself, it only makes sense that those people that put in the hard work in the past to put the opportunity in front of us want to make sure we're presenting J&L with factual information and with the clients best interest in mind.

I haven't met one person who isn't willing to take as much time as needed to help you become successful. Coming out of training it can be overwhelming especially to those that are recently out of college or never been in sales. You really get the sense that you're working in a team atmosphere and have the support of all the people you work with.

If you put in the hard work and dedication you can make a fantastic living and have a lot of fun doing it too. The products we "sell" truly have our clients best interest in mind. I put "sell" in quotations because the main goal is to build a strategic business relationship with our clients, not sell them on a product and move on to the next never to hear from us again. We want to partner with our clients in order to produce the best results with them and J&L. It truly is a win/win situation.

ConsI'm hard pressed to think of a "con". However, the certification process could be more streamlined. When a training class is released to make calls on their own those responsible for certifying are bombarded with presentations. These presentations are on average an hour in length. Perhaps delegating some to others would help.

BGS position is a sales position only for the inexperienced, entry level.

Louisville, KY

ProsIt's a great product and they do well for their clients.

If you are just getting out of college, it's a good place to cut your teeth, in an army basic-training kind of way. Most all the people are very friendly. For some personalities, the linear thinker/right brain/programmer type, this is the one place you could sell.

ConsIf you are just getting out of college, it's a place to cut your teeth, but don't expect much income unless you are obsessed with working hard and long hours. Think of the position as a entry-pay internship with the moving carrot of eventual big money if you are one of the 10% who can hang with it yet don't get fired. If you are young (21-23), book smart, live with parents, and the numbers/linear thinker type, don't read on, apply for the job and go make some money.

However, if you are an experienced salesperson with creative tendencies to tailor the sales pitch to the situation, you will fail here. Years of sales experience and other training will hurt you in this particular position. Salespeople need not apply; rather clean-slate linear type thinkers who can stick to the scripts verbatim are needed. Sales are not needed nearly as much as they need for people to follow the very long scripted sales pitches/programs. They teach a methodology that while dated, can work in most sales situations. But sales territories are given only to those who can can prove by recordings that they can exactly follow the sales scripts (get Certified). This is nearly impossible for everyone. Hardly anyone ever makes the certifications, and as a result are either fired or they quit due to no sales territory. Thus most BGS only have a few months tenure (a handful have 2 years) keeping it a very young and inexperienced employee base.
    All calls and presentations are recorded, reviewed and critiqued. Video and Audio Cameras are in most offices and sales areas and conversations are monitored by bosses- very intimidating micro managed atmosphere.
    The months of intensive sales training was abusive and highly offensive. Could be scaring to some.

Worked for J&L Marketing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J&L Marketing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J&L Marketing CEO Scott T. Joseph . All 26 reviews posted anonymously by J&L Marketing employees.