J&L Marketing Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
43 reviews filtered by
3.5
Scott T. Joseph

Great company for building a career

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong market position/market leader; open to change; been in business for 24+ years but has the energy and pace of a start up; great benefits; place where employees can have a significant impact and make a large contribution; unafraid to seek out and drive change; numerous opportunities for employee feedback and interaction with specific responses to that feedback.

Cons

The company has a very high pace which not every one can handle - I thrive in this type of environment and seek it out but not all do.

Advice to Management

I like the structure and improvements - keep driving the changes needed to maintain our position in the marketplace and enable the organization to scale for the next level of growth.

Product, people and passion are off the charts

Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The campaigns we sell are a lot better than anything else being offered to dealerships. There are very few if any companies that offer the level of service, results and capabilities that I'm able to represent. I've met a lot of friends here and feel like the people make it unique. I've never experienced anything like it at other companies I've worked for. Everyone truly cares about each other. Management has been restructured and is constantly focusing attention to continually improving how we do business. The management appears genuinely concerned about your success. This is an extremely honest and ethical company which is refreshing. Mistakes are owned here and actually brought up before customers notice them.

Cons

The management changes included some hiccups. Not sure some of the people who were here should have been here to begin with. There has been turnover and I think sales could use more support or more resources to turn to for guidance and help.

Sometimes the workload is a bit much, but we are trying to hire and I like what management is looking for to improve our support and fill that void.

Advice to Management

The increased transparency is appreciated. Also, thanks for helping make this a company I enjoy working for!

3. Great opportunity to make some extra money!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at J&L Marketing as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to travel, working with people, and great PC team!

Cons

Pay could be better and more than $10 for a meal would be nice, given the work.

Advice to Management

Up your benefits for your PCs a bit more; they're integral to your process!

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Production in Louisville-Jefferson County, KY
    Current Employee - Production in Louisville-Jefferson County, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

J&L is a company that's going through a lot of changes. Many things were neglected for a long time to the detriment of the employees. However, what I see is a company that is trying to change for the better. The people that work here are pretty great, people are trying to jump in and help. It never changes overnight, but at least there is recognition of what needs to change, now it just needs to happen. There are a ton of opportunities in a company like this, just need to take advantage of them. If I take care of my stuff, no one hassles me.

Cons

When your accounts are busy, you are swamped with work. It's not like that every week but you do have to put your time in when everything is happening at once. The car industry isn't known for how easy everyone is to work with, so you have to have thick skin when dealing with some people. Overall the negatives here aren't much different than what you would find in any other company, everyone has their problems.

Advice to Management

It's hard to change fast, but the quicker you can do it, the better for everyone.

I love it

I have been working at J&L Marketing

Pros

I have the ability to make really good money and they give me the chance to do it. I started here with very little sales experience. Last year I made more money in one year than I have anywhere else. This year I am already ahead of last year. I've met a lot of new friends and the culture is casual. The vacation policy is great and I get all the usual benefits. I can sell in confidence because the company stands behind what it promises. The company has done a good job restructuring itself to stay ahead of its competition. I like what is being done and the direction of things because it was needed.

Cons

Customer service is a top priority and so it can be hard to keep up with everything. Things are always changing so I never have time to keep things going. I feel like I always have to learn something new. Not everyone has adapted well to the changes and some have left.

Advice to Management

I would have liked better support after I got out of training. While I made it through and am doing great a higher percentage did not make it. In my opinion the company needs sales leaders who are more effective and aren't afraid to jump in and help newer reps.

7. Easy job, Little room for growth

Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator
    Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money is pretty good and the schedule is extremely flexible. The staff is very upbeat and always happy to help. The reimbursement for gas and food is also a plus.

Cons

The job is extremely easy which can lead to being extremely bored on slower events. Taxes aren't taken out of paychecks so you usually end up owing quite a lot at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive and supportive attitudes. You all are great!

Okay

Former Contractor - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Contractor - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty good for a job during college. Interviewers have commented on the experience from this job that I have on my resume, so I think that the experience is helpful and relevant for anyone who wants a career in a communication or public relations industry. Getting paid to travel and see new places was cool. A good job for getting "professional" experience that will look good on a resume if you have absolutely no experience.

Cons

Having to give two weekends of availability every month was annoying while in college because during months that I had a lot of tests or a lot going on I didn't always want to work two weekends, because a weekend often consists of driving to the location on a Friday, working on Saturday, and driving home Sunday, i.e. your entire weekend. Sitting at a table for 8 hours, plus having to get to the location 2 hours early, and often stay much later than the promotion lasts, gets really tiring when you're spending your entire day talking to people. The dealerships often did not care at all about the promotion. Only $10 on the day of the promotion for food, so if you travel far for the promotion you'll end up spending a lot of your own money on food. Not much contact with management, so you can't really use managers from this job as a reference in the future.

Advice to Management

Give Promotion Coordinators more money for food and expenses for promotions that require a lot of travel. Require more professionalism from your promotion coordinator's managers.

Production

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time

Pros

The best of J&L is the people. Made lifetime friends.

Cons

Challenge is management. They are not open and do not listen to employees. Just very bad communication skills which leads to low morale.

Advice to Management

Talk and listen to your people. They are there for a reason.

All the good reviews are FAKE!!

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing

Pros

None that are significant enough to mention in light of the cons

Cons

The CEO has delegated most of his responsibilities to a mercenary, leaving him with little to do. So when he isn't busy threatening and chewing out his employees he writes fake reviews so people will think he's running a respectable company.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself!

Worse than the government

I have been working at J&L Marketing

Pros

Owner sounds like George W. Bush when he talks. Only a pro because it is funny

Cons

Owner runs the company like Bush ran the country. Everything is falling apart- a lot of people are losing their jobs, and those that stay are being treated very badly.

Advice to Management

Go hang out at your ranch in Texas so we can get some work done