J&L Marketing

Updated December 29, 2014
Updated December 29, 2014
4.0

Scott T. Joseph

Great company to work for while in college.

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at J&L Marketing as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I like working with J&L because the staff is nice and very helpful. The job is fairly easy and can be really fun if you have the right personality.

Cons

One thing that can be fairly difficult is the amount of jobs you get. You can get zero jobs one month and the next work every weekend.

As far as I've noticed the people I have worked with are great for the most part. I would like to see something in place where I can get feedback on my performance so I can better myself. We get emails if we get a good review but it is a copy and paste email and there is never any comments on what you can approve on.

Great resume builder job for college students

Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator
    Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible job where you can pick when you want to work. Higher than minimum wage pay. They reimburse you for every additional cost you might encounter. Great with communication. Fast response time with email and phone! Have someone on call for an emergency that might occur while working. Management will try to help you in any way possible. Very transparent with progress with the company.

Cons

Do not give you enough money for food when traveling more than one day (a three day travel time would get you 30 dollars and free breakfast.) Do not give enough incentive to fly (get paid $5 for every in flight hour.) Does not reward extra effort to save the company money with monetary compensation, but will entice students to skip school in order to work for an extra bonus.

Give more to those who go out of their way to save the company money. Do not reward students for skipping school in order to work. It costs them more than you reward to skip school.

Great Culture, but Difficult and Frustrating to Make a Living

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great (loose) work culture and environment. Incredibly fun place to work.

Opportunity (albeit small) to become very successful, however if you can sell here, you can make much more money somewhere else.

Executive level management is very accessible and usually friendly.

Other neat benefits that might be harder to come by in other jobs.

Cons

Very poor commission structure. You can make much more money for the amount of work you do elsewhere. Underpaid for the work you do above the actual selling of the product.

You will love the culture, but at the same time want to get out.

50% turnover rate in one year, among all levels, including executives and management.

Industry you work with (Auto Dealership General Managers/Owners) are often very rude. Most unprofessional industry I have worked in.

Great experience! Perfect job for college students!

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator

I have been working at J&L Marketing as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Travel opportunities are amazing
    -Great for college students or recent college graduates looking to earn extra cash
    -Good money for a relatively easy job
    -PC Team are very helpful
    -Flexible
    -Great resume builder

Cons

-Job can get a little boring when it's slow
    -Taxes are not deducted

Easy and flexible. You get what you put in.

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great for busy people looking for something part time. Compensation is good for someone right out of college. All employees have been kind, helpful and fun thus far. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

It would be more motivating to be paid for travel instead of just compensated. Sitting most of the time during events, not a lot of movement.

All BGS need to get more involved with their PC's to promote success of events. Love that J&L is starting to provide more opportunities for more participation.

J&L Marketing Response

Dec 3, 2014CEO

Thank you for your comments and great advice for our Business Growth Strategist. We will continue to work towards improving in this area.

Enjoyed going to work almost every day.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with , opportunities to build teamwork, casual environment for the production side (Nelson Miller office), and perks and incentives like gift cards and outings. Most people work hard without being micro-managed, so there's a little freedom to have fun interactions when things are not too busy. Free coffee. Bagel Tuesdays. Good benefits.

Cons

There are divisions/cliques within the company. Some people seem to be moving up consistently, while others are pigeon-holed. There is a lot of pride in their "company culture", but if it's not compatible with your personality, you could feel left out. Certain times of the year, you are expected to work way more than 40 hours a week without compensation other than a meal ordered in. At this time, they do not match 401K contributions.

Show more respect and appreciation for the people in production who actually execute the ideas and products you sell. Your success has everything to do with the fact that you consistently deliver what you promote. You could not do it without them. Stop perpetuating the division/competition/animosity between the "city" and "country" offices. They have separate functions, but both are vital. And although an extravagant Christmas party every year makes the company look good, some people would much rather have a Christmas bonus to buy presents for their kids.

Great People, Great Product, Challenging Work

Current Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's great to work at a company that firmly believes in making money by maximizing value for the customer. The initial training was more thorough than I've received before. The ongoing mentoring, support and professional development is daily. Additionally I work with dedicated people and have an awesome manager. Upper management works hard and although there are some growing pains, overall, I couldn't be happier.

Cons

The hardest part of the job is the same as any sales job, having the mental endurance to keep positive after having a tough call with a prospect or client. However, if you work hard you will be compensated well monetarily as well as recognized by your peers, leadership, and the company.

Great place to develop your career and learn new things!

Current Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

An unbelievable place to start and build a career. As a growing organization they're constantly working on ways to improve the opportunities for their sales staff (Business Growth Strategist - BGS) to succeed. If you're looking for a position that rewards and recognizes success J&L is definitely a place you should take a look at.

I love my co-workers and gain a great deal of knowledge working with them while closing accounts and keeping great relationships with my clients! J&L is not perfect but it is a company that has fun, believes in it's product and attracts great people. I'm excited about the things to come over the next few years.

Cons

Working here has pushed me to work harder than I ever have in my life. Like any sales job you will experience your ups and downs. There is pressure to succeed and hit quotas/goals.

Keep trying to improve. Communicate what the company's plans are more often.

J&L Marketing Response

Dec 3, 2014CEO

Thank you! We agree with your advice. The introduction of our new Operating System along with our Vision and Traction Organizer should dramatically improve our communication with everyone.

Promotion Coordinator

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator

I have been working at J&L Marketing as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for anyone in college, a people person and someone who likes to travel. Hone your presentation skills and meet people of all walks of life. Working in the automotive industry exclusively. Requires patience, lots of smiles and positive attitude. The company requires you to be accountable at all times and punctual.

Cons

Car dealerships pay big bucks for the promotions and if it doesn't go well, they take their frustration out on you. Customers complain to you about everything, so be prepared to listen calmly and direct them to someone who can help them.

No overall complaints about the company but they could definitely pay more, considering you have to pay your own taxes. You don't end up taking much home. Events are mainly on Saturdays 8:30-5:00pm so it is not sufficient as main source of income unless you don't have many expenses.

Thank goodness for the electronic process!

Brutal to deal with Owners/General Managers but worth it!

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work culture is unlike anything you've been a part of. Great people! The work-life balance is awesome and compensation is nice. Great support system! The sales manager, Jennifer Payne, is so passionate and personable. The best manager I've ever had the pleasure of working under

Cons

Very hard to establish yourself in the industry. They could do better Training BUT you have to be accountable. They will always help if you ask for it. As with any sales career, lots of turnover. Just wish they could stay patient a little longer as you establish yourself.

Upper management could be better in offering support but they are extremely busy managing national accounts. Not the most personable.