JAB Broadband

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.5

Jack Koo

Man - it's getting better, like they said!

I have been working at JAB Broadband

Pros

I have been with the company for about three years... and the subscriber and employee base has more than doubled in that time. The company is constantly winning awards and being recognized for their growth from different business magazines and industry affiliates. They are looking at improving in various areas including benefits, compensation, communication, employee engagement, values, culture, products. The list goes on! It is growing - which is good for anyone looking for opportunity to further their career. With the growth comes new positions.

Cons

Jab has A LOT of growing pains. This leads to a few frustrating issues due to rapid growth, tons of new people, positions and systems.

Keep on improving - we are looking to you for hope that things will get better and we will be able to keep up with the demands that come with growth!

Great Company, good benefits!

I have been working at JAB Broadband full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Company cares about the people and holds employees accountable to each other. If someone is not contributing, they move quickly to a more suitable role or off the bus. We are asked for our feedback and management listens. Benefits are getting better. There are many very talented people here.

Cons

We are in a transition as far as the next stage of our growth and it can be painful at times. We have a few entitled employees who don't seem to appreciate or understand what it takes to build a great company.

Keep pushing back on people who try to use back channels to further their agendas.

Field Tech

I worked at JAB Broadband

Pros

People I worked with were good people.

Cons

Where to begin. Hr as per previous reviews is horrible. Forget about asking for help or resolving issues in a timely manner. Excuses for everything and it's not their fault. Pay attention to the reviews from previous employees as they are spot on about HR. I wished I would have stayed away from this company. Benefits are horrible and expensive and their is not even a matching 401k.

Fire your hr staff.

Avoid JAB, Digis and Rise Broadband at all costs...

Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at JAB Broadband

Pros

In my opinion there aren't any pros to working for JAB Broadband (soon to be Rise Broadband).

Cons

This is a horrible company to work for. I recommend avoiding it all costs. Besides the fact that the pay is significantly below industry averages and the fact that the benefits are expensive and inadequate the company's management staff is horrible. There is no communication between management and employees, expectations are unclear and much of the corporate management staff really doesn't care about employees at all. The company talks a lot about "living values" and "culture" and expects employees to live the values but none of the corporate management staff pay any attention to the values at all. Corporate HR at this company is terrible and has been for a number of years. If you want to be under-compensated, have poor benefits and work in an environment where you cannot be successful then this is the place for you. If not, as I've said before, avoid Digis, JAB and soon Rise Broadband at all costs.

If you want to be successful I would suggest that you evaluate your compensation, benefits and the way you treat employees. Don't talk about living values that you have no intention of living yourselves. Treat employees the way you would like to be treated and you will get a lot more out of people and have a happier workplace with a great culture and morale.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR

Current Employee - Supervisor in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in American Fork, UT

I have been working at JAB Broadband full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company for six years. I am one of the few that survived the rough round of years. This place has come SO far in just a short period of time. As a supervisor, I feel like I am able to make promises to my team and keep them. Things are always progressing and the management is working hard to make this the best place to work. They have been getting us a lot of cool discount to places locally to make life a little easier. I am also highly impressed with the direction that the call center has taken in the last 6 months. It is like NIGHT and DAY!
    I am glad I stuck around.

Cons

This is really hard for me. Anything I ever disliked about this company has been approved immensely. However, I am a huge fan of department transparency and division transparency. I would love for us to all work more as a team.

Keep doing what your doing and don't get discouraged. We are noticing.

Extremely inefficient, which results in extreme frustration.

Current Employee - Install Repair Technician
    Current Employee - Install Repair Technician

I have been working at JAB Broadband full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to working at this place are: Decent PTO, you are less micromanaged than some other companies....and...that's about it.

Cons

Jab Broadband is an internet provider, I work as an Install / Repair Tech.

The work environment at Jab Broadband (also known as "Digis" in Utah) leaves much to be desired. Everything is so completely disorganized, I often wonder how anything gets done. Our internet's infrastructure is horrible. Most of the tower sites our customers are connected to are oversaturated (meaning there are way too many customers connected to the same tower). Their solution is to reload people to different towers. Problem is, that's almost never possible due to trees/structure blocking those towers. This has been going on for years. The vast majority of our current customers suffering from spotty service are pointed to the best tower they can be pointed to.

Despite these frustrations, this wouldn't really be a problem if our sales team & call center were trained and knew of these issues, and weren't just under pressure to boost numbers. Time and time again, potential customers and current customers are repeatedly told to expect constant internet speeds. Then, when the customers realize we can't deliver, they cancel and leave bad reviews. This has put the sales dept into a frenzy. In order to boost their numbers, they are offering free installs, free 2 months of service, $100 gift card, two rounds of golf, 6 months of free Netflix...ALL of these perks and gimmicks, just to get one install. And since we don't do contracts, the customers will rape us for all the free stuff and still leave in a month. It's NOT smart! Speaking of shoddy advertising, Digis's advertising campaign features blatant lies about how our service operates, claiming it's "better than cable, and better than FIBER". Really? Our service is nowhere NEAR as good or as consistent as fiber.

As an install tech, all of this will weigh down on you. The constant customer complaints, and them expecting better service while you're there at their house for a service call. A typical day for me goes like this: I can't do anything for my customers, my hands are tied because the towers themselves suck (our service is wirelessly broadcasted via towers). And the customers don't want excuses or gimmicks for poor service, they want a company that is professional and fixes their crap in a timely manner. Understandable, for sure. What's hard is when there's customers who don't have any other providers to switch to, and they have been suffering for years (Yes, YEARS), on an extremely intermittent, sub-par connection.

Management, by and large, isn't very good. They know there is a morale problem, but they refuse to address the real issues we face. Anytime numbers are especially low, two things happen. First, we are ridiculed and belittled for not doing more, second, they retract and start addressing the morale problem with flimsy, cheap bandaid alternative solutions. Recently, they sent out a company wide email asking all of us for our input on how they can improve. Dozens of well-thought replies came in, with great solutions and fair compromises. But one response said, "We could use some discounted tickets to Lagoon [a local theme park]..." The response from management? "We see some great responses here, looks like most of you would like ticket discounts, we'll see what we can do." They simply REFUSE to address the real problems.

I could go on. I really could. This is by far the most scatterbrained, inefficient, full-of-nonsense-daily company I have ever worked for. And I've worked some really crappy jobs in my lifetime! Digis and Jab's future prospects are gloomy at best. The company is pretty much circling the drain, and most of us are looking at other jobs, desperately trying to abandon ship. BOTTOM LINE, STAY AWAY, unless you're a glutton for punishment!!!

If senior management cared about our advice, they would be changing things. But, for the sake of this post, I will say this:

Please listen to your employees. We are suffering all the blowback from your lack of interest in your infrastructure, and your lack of interest in fostering efficient communication between departments. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and that sorely affects how a company operates. You'd think you'd realize this by now, since this really is hitting you right where it hurts (your wallets). But you continue to allow such problems to exist.

Worst company, management, and provided service

Former Employee - Manager in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at JAB Broadband full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were genuinely good employees during my short time at JAB. There are benefits and they pay you. These are literally the only pros I can think of.

Cons

Upper executive level management. It was so bad that they were losing employees left and right. HR has established an environment of fear and replaceability. I don't know how many of the upper JAB management got their jobs because they aren't doing very well. JAB and all its subsidiaries as a whole are losing subscribers left and right. Last I heard, they were in a scramble to try to sell the business.

There are so many other great places to work in the valley that employees will not stick around long. You're only as good as your reputation, and in this industry, you have the worst reputation. Respect your employees, listen to them and help them learn and grow rather than treat them as disposable assets.

Excellent job security with the ability to work independently

Current Employee - Installation/Repair Technician
    Current Employee - Installation/Repair Technician

I have been working at JAB Broadband full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Installation/Repair Technician position is a great position. It offers a challenging environment with an independent work ethic. There is a strong backbone, and a great team environment. Day to day duties are exciting due to the fact that customers are getting great service from a great company. The hours are usually 8 per day, but could go as long as 10-12 in the spring-time through fall. All tools and company vehicles are provided. Supervision is great and not micro-managed.

Cons

Pay raises are around 3% of base salary. There is not a lot of room for advancement. There is a lot of knowledge required and equipment to know (it can be taught if you have the capacity to learn it). A general technical background is required. You must be willing to work in all weather conditions. Corporate has high expectations in regards to completed installations; this is an issue in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin due to terrain and equipment limitations.

I would like to see a member of corporate management ride-along with an installer for a day or two, to see the challenges faced with the installation of the RF equipment.

Great company and culture! Best telecommunication company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Loveland, CO

I have been working at JAB Broadband full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is the first telecom company I have ever worked for that has not lost sight of employee moral. The HR issue that others mentioned in previous reviews has been fixed. I was not here to witness the former regime, but the current HR department is excellent. They are responsive and willing to help. JAB has created a positive work environment, and I enjoy coming to work everyday. The technology is solid, and a product that I can stand behind with confidence.

Cons

I have yet to see any cons with this company. Sure pay could be higher, but that could be said with any company I have worked for. If you would like to work for a unique telecom company that does not have all the corporate pitfalls of larger telcos I highly recommend you consider working here.

Keep up the great work! Resist the urge to make the company more corporate. The small company feel is part of what makes it such a great place to work. The employee pot lucks, and the great Christmas party are all moral boosters.

Decent pay, poor hours and poor management.

I have been working at JAB Broadband

Pros

Decent pay for not requiring much experience. However this meant that co-workers were not helpful and most were just there for the paycheck. Decent company to get your foot into the IT industry but get out before long.

Cons

Poor hours, poor management. Every passing day the company is getting more and more corporate. Soon to be typical Comcast support following scripts if it keeps going as is.

Pay the employees a bit bitter