JAKKS Pacific

www.jakks.com

JAKKS Pacific Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
JAKKS Pacific – Malibu – “View from office window - Malibu Pier”

JAKKS Pacific President, Co-CEO, Secretary, and Director Stephen G. Berman

Stephen G. Berman

Trending Up

ProsIncredible group of talented and passionate people who inspire me every day. I love my job - the work is amazing. If you want to be on the front end of a really big growth curve, JAKKS is the place to be - the positive vibe is infectious

ConsSome of the policies are not very employee-friendly, e.g. lack of maternity leave, travel policies. In general, HR should develop to be more of an employee advocate to help with retention and employee satisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the passion and entrepeneurial spirit but take a closer look at the way our bigger company competitors manage their people

Comfortably Numb

Art Director (Current Employee) Malibu, CA

ProsGood benefits, 401k matching when the company is doing well, really fun work if on the right brands, freedom to be as creative as you want to be

Consdisorganized, every man for himself, no team unity, terrible upper management, extremely high turnaround, low company morale

Advice to Senior ManagementSame thing I would tell a first grader... treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.

A Great TIme

ProsThe people are amazing and it is a great working environment. Get to work with some awesome products and be part of a global business.

ConsThe little communication going on between upper management and the workers. The blame game also circulates around here and that can get really old

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the little guys and their ideas. Trust their advice and things will run a lot more smoothly rather than rushed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

crazy rollercoaster ride

ProsFun, dedicated, friendly, staff. Fast-paced environment, job is never boring. Compensation is ok. Good benefits. Great opportunities for learning.

ConsEconomy has had its impacts financially, causing cut backs & hard times. Company provides no training. Some unethical work practices. Long hours. Reviews are not enforced.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate strategy, provide incentives.

Do everything yourself, gain only experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool licenses to work with. Great place for new designer/ planner/ etc. because you have to do everything. Learn a lot in short time. Very nice and talented people.

ConsSome directors or upper management are hard to work with. No work-life balance. Work late often.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people, let them do what they are good at.

10 Years and still love my job & Jakks!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malibu, CA

ProsGreat work environment. Beautiful location. Great compensation. Respect from Management.

ConsNewcomers often don't know how to work in a corporate environment and expect too much. Sadly some people do not know how the world of business works. You can tell that by the amount of employees that want to return after they have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. We are behind you 100%!

A rollercoaster that you can never get off...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsYou never know what the day will bring at Jakks. You can gather all types of experience and accomplish things you didn't even know were possible. Incredible people work there in spite of its shortcomings because of the spontaneity that is so common in the culture.

ConsThere is no training, very little strategy communicated from the top, no corporate theme or value creating a feeling of a bunch of mercenaries rather than individuals united in one goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe constant turnover of Jakks is really hurting the company. When employees feel like commodities instead of people, there is no incentive to go the extra mile. Instead its easier to do what you're asked and blame others when things fail. No cohesiveness between teams.

Unstable Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary, benefits and flexibility. People there are fabulous to work with, smart and passionate about what they do. Stephen is very charismatic and engaging.

ConsStruggling industry, high degree of turnover, boys club executive team who are non-engaged and don't communicate the on-going changes in vision and expectations to the masses.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the constant up and down rollercoaster, it has a huge impact on people's lives. Either sell the business to stop the constant bleeding or bring people in (not your buddies) to run the business that compliment your weaknesses and actually let them run the business so you can see transformation, which is possible.

CEO Berman has personally created a small company, unfortunately he started with very large company!

Marketing (Former Employee) Malibu, CA

ProsThere was a time this was a fun, productive place. Maybe it can be again but not with current leadership.

ConsWhile the employee base has been cut in half and the company's market value has been slashed by 75%, top management has neither reduced their huge salaries nor foregone bonuses. The CEO's salary is higher than the company's annual profit.
    I think that says it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace yourself.

Where marketing is king.

Middle Management (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFun and fast paced. Talented and hard working mid management and below employees. The talent of the company is in its creative team and a few marketing leads. The executive team is a joke with HR being the butt of the joke. Arrogance and an unwillingness to be challenged by competent execs poisoned this once promising company. Stephen is exceptionally charismatic with good intentions but has handicapped himself by surrounding himself with easy, stupid, agreeable people incapable of telling him what's broken.

ConsFrat house politics have ruined this company. If you go, be warned it won't be around much longer. Keep to yourself and focus on your work. Connect with your coworkers. Ride out the last months of this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut it loose, sell for whatever it's worth and reminiscence about what it could have been if you had the confidence and wisdom to listen to, invest in and retain your talent. Your biggest misconception was YOU are the talent and everyone else was expendable.

Worked for JAKKS Pacific? Contribute to the Community!