JBM Patrol & Protection

Position: Corporal / Lead LPO

Current Employee - Position: Corporal/Lead LPO  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Position: Corporal/Lead LPO in Madison, WI

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Currently I am Protective Services Agent with Walt Disney World in Florida. Prior to moving to Florida this past winter I worked for JBM Patrol-Madison. I was assigned to several high profile special events. I was required to pass a government background check administered by the U.S. Secret Service and Homeland Security. During one event, I worked with Special Agent Rick Valentine during Hillary Clinton visit to Madison. Others were Rev Jesse Jackson, Deli Lama and President Obama.

I was personally hired by Chief James Mankowski when the security company I previously worked for went out of business overnight as the owner was arrested. I needed a job and was assigned to a private retail franchise store for 7 years in 4 across southern Wisconsin. In the time of need, I could count on JBM. James has an open door for all his employees and you were always welcome to talk to him in person or over phone. No matter how busy he was, I could walk in and got 5 to 10 minutes of his time. James has a soft spot, not many know about, (if you screw up you will know it, he gets the attention of the violator by stack personnel jackets with write up). His down fall is trusting employees (supervisors) who take advantage of the company. James is dedicated to his family. With two boys growing up and needing their father for the activities in the everyday life, his boys and his company equal the man. If asked he will tell you, everyone is a good person even if their actions suggest otherwise. James is a person who would shop at my assigned posts. You better have yourself in a proper uniform. If you were not, he would dismiss you and ask you to retrieve it. He would stand your post until the correction had been made. JBM has regular training with experienced Police Officers from the greater suburban Madison area. I can honestly say I learned a great deal from these police officers. The first day I was hired Chief James Mankowski, he asked me what was my lifelong dream job would be. I told him, to work for Walt Disney World in Florida. In December 2013, I was offered and accepted a position in Florida. During my time I worked under many great Sergeants and a Lieutenant. I often have said JBM Patrol is not your typical security company. Trust me I have been in the business for a little over 30 years. If you want to belong to a family owned security company there is only one place in Madison, JBM Patrol & Protection

Cons

Snow, Tornados, More Snow and Cold Weather.

This is a company that has a goal. Officers are the front line people and need to meet this goal every day. We make client contacts, provide actual security, and meet our client’s expectations. Keep up with what you are doing, continue to improve the company’s image and hold the officers who do not perform accountable. JBM is different, not your average contracted guard force.

Just a job

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not skilled work
    Anyone can do The people I work with are kind good hearted people

Cons

No training, lack of benefits, wage is low but better than some firms. The scheduler doesn't schedule well. Very impatient and poor communicator

Officers corporal and above make 12-15 per hour, not a lot compared to responsibility of positions.

Have everything in writing or someone may railroad you

Family business environment

Commanders are aggressive communicators and sometimes impatient.

Hire competent office staff, offer life insurance, shorter term for 401k eligibility, benefits in 1 month not 3 months . Make changes not just talking about them. Take better care of employees and their safety on assignments

Good Company to Work For

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Recently, I was hired as a state patrol officer and departed JBM in Madison. I was assigned to a corporate site and worked with some of the smartest people I have ever met. My immediate supervisor was a retired police chief, I worked with a couple of retired sheriff's deputies and others looking to get into law enforcement. Our security team was very productive. JBM offered my training in all subjects from arrest and apprehension to firearms and the certified protection officer course. Working for JBM gave me a foot forward when I wanted to become a state trooper. JBM had tough appearance standards -- remember, I am now a trooper so I welcomed this image.

Cons

Security work doesn't pay a high hourly wage. We were paid higher than other contracted firms but still private security is not a career, just a job.

Give up some of the smaller customers who only want services for 4 hours a night or on weekends and holidays only. Keep hiring good people, stick to your core values and continue to expand into other areas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life Experience

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for the company just shy of three years as a security officer in Madison. My direct supervisor was a retired police chief, who also served in the Army. The company is owned by a police officer and I worked with many others looking to enter law enforcement. My partner was a retired deputy sheriff, I learned a lot from everyone. The company made some supervisory changes in late 2013, and hired experienced people as opposed to promoting within. More pros, I worked a high profile corporate assignment where I had regular contact with law enforcement. Company is popular and respected by law enforcement. I left to join the state patrol.

Cons

Security is not a career and like public safety professionals, worked nights ans weekends. Summer is very busy. Some clients do not appreciate actual security.

Give up some of the smaller posts that are only a few hours a day. Continue to hire good officers and supervisors.

Solid Employment

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I never have to worry about getting full time hours. They offer great on line training and support growth within the organization. There is a good amount of practical training you can benefit from and take to other work sites.

Cons

As with any position in a security career, you have shift work to deal with. It's 24/7 in this business. Days, nights, weekends and holidays.

A good company to get your foot in the door.

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for less than a year

Pros

Security experience, flexible schedules, training, benefits.

Cons

Varies based on individual clients.

Mgt Policies Harm to Employees and Clients

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than a year

Pros

I no longer work there

Cons

If you don't get it in writing, they will not honor any of the promises they make to you regarding hours, schedule and pay. They over promise clientele, and over work subordinates so that it makes it impossible for patrol to visit every scheduled alarm within their scheduled time. This is a disservice to clients who are paying for proper protection as their paid for needs are not being met on a regular basis (and they are not even aware of this).

Owner needs to establish healthy policies in order to properly serve his clientele. Many clients do become wise and figure out that they are not being properly protected, due to over-extended employees who are scheduled in too many places at once, and drop JBM due to failure to honor their contract.

JBM Patrol & Protection Response

Mar 17, 2014President

As much as we try to keep our employees satisfied we have several clients to serve as well. We are a service company and need to meet our client's needs and when we do, work scheduled get adjusted ... More

My Health Wouldn't Let Me Stay.....Loved this Job

Former Employee - Security Officer I  in  West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer I in West Allis, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Professional Security Agency- have worked for others over the past 20 years and JBM Patrol & Protection is by far the best.
    Always treated with respect- I got the respect of fellow officers, supervisors and West Allis Police Dept. officers when I had contact with them.
    When I wanted time off- I got it.
    I worked for the company for 5 years and got a wage increase every year.
    The job site I had was wonderful.

Cons

Some people within society do not see a security officer as a respected job.

Try to make the Milwaukee office as large as the Madison office. Continue to care about your officers. Continue with officer training and hopefully potential clients will see you as a super company. Thank you so much for the past 5 years and giving me the time off I needed these past few months because of my health.

The Security Business is Interesting

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked the hours I wanted. Everytime I asked for a day off I got it. Good co-workers.

Cons

JBM's clients dont always appreciate what the officers do.

Charge more for the service you offer.

Nice Company to work for

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The owner of the firm is very dedicated to making the company be the best it can be. When I worked for JBM I was respected by police officers I came into contact with. I received training: DAAT, First Aid/CPR, Firearms, Vehicle Contacts and Patrol Procedures.

Cons

The company bought a new records management (payroll, scheduling and time keeping system) and there were a lot of bugs to get worked out. During the summer the company is very busy and getting a weekend off can be difficult.

Work to advance the industry, continue to hold the office staff accountable and work to develop long term relationships with new employees.

Worked for JBM Patrol & Protection? Contribute to the Community!