JBS International

Updated November 19, 2014
3.6

Gail Bassin & Jerri Shaw

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company if you want to work in contracting

Former Employee - Technical Assistance Manager in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Assistance Manager in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to start with little experience. Opportunities for advancement. Many friendly, welcoming, and kind people working there.

Cons

The office environment is rather boring. Most of the lower level positions are not challenging; however, they pay well for the amount of experience you come with.

Organize events for staff to participate in and get to know one another.

Company does not recognize talent or sufficiently appreciate hard work

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable compensation and willingness to be flexible for education or family situations

Cons

I was hired to work on a project remotely, but I felt like as a telecommuter I was not given the same opportunities as others for promotion. I did not feel my work was recognized even though I went above and beyond on a regular basis. I saw many talented individuals leave the project I was on due to being underutilized or insufficiently challenged. In many ways, JBS operates like a federal bureaucracy--replete with layers of administration and red tape to get anything done. The review process was maddeningly slow. I don't think clients get a good value for their dollar given all the extra layers of internal process involved. On my project, there was a mix of talented bright individuals working alongside others who seemed "burned in"--folks who didn't like their jobs and weren't particularly good at them, but had no plans to leave and seemed to have protected status from ever being laid off or let go. I also observed some toxic relationships and management styles that went unaddressed during the years I was there.

Using 360 anonomous reviews might help you identify your talent as well as identify personnel issues that need to be addressed. Hire people you trust and then trust them that they can do their jobs at home if need be (e.g. for telecommuters spread around the country.) Consider increasing the fluidity between projects rather than hiring folks on a per project basis.

Great Company with Great Intentions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

JBS serves clients that strive to improve health and human services domestically and internationally. This is a company with a purpose and a strong mission. Many employees choose to work at JBS because they believe in improving the lives of others and working for a growing company. JBS is family friendly and supports professional development.

Cons

The company is challenged with finding a balance between staying true to its mission while still being a corporate force in a competitive market.

Continue to invest in employees with potential and find creative ways to keep younger employees engaged.

Lot of good people, no clear strategy for growth of company or path for advancement of staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very dedicated, hard working, motivated people. Very much depends on the projects you work on and your team. Very accessible company, encourages teamwork. Friendly atmosphere. They have some very positive aspects, like promoting green/healthy initiatives, but they're pretty limited.

Cons

Though the company is more than 300+ people, functions like a small mom and pop shop. Not willing to invest to really strategically grow- in staff development, or in new areas. No clear path for advancement for staff- they lose a lot of good staff because of this.

There needs to be equality in terms of treatment of different departments. Need to find ways to showcase the talent you have and invest in them and help them grow. Must establish clear pathways for advancement.

A lot of bright minds. A lot of uncertainty about the company.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in North Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of hard working, bright people here. Good benefits. Challenging but rewarding contracts and projects to work on. The company seems to truly care about it's employees and the field in which is works.

Cons

Little room for professional development and growth within the company. There's a lot of internal competition going on and egos to compete with, especially among the Research Associates.

Engage employees on a more personal level, understanding their goals and aspirations in their careers and within the company. Inquire more regarding the skills and expertise each employees bring and ensure that those strengths are highlighted in proposals. Monitor and ensure the quality of proposals, especially to reflect staff expertise.

Could be a better experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people and relationships developed here are outstanding. Smart workforce with very dedicated professionals.

Cons

Project directors are hired for their content expertise, but most have little management experience. Owners have control over all decisions.

Pay employees based on their merit, not based on their relationships to others in the organization. Move away from project silos to use of employees based on their skillsets and experience.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee development is encouraged and supported, work-life balance is supported and encouraged....and I say "encouraged" and "supported" because it's easy to pay lip service to certain ideas, but JBS supports its employees and doesn't just pay lip service to these concepts. They also share a lot of information about the state of the industry and our current and future business situation, and provide a variety of brown-bag lunches on topics of interest to various employees.

Cons

Consulting is an uncertain, competitive business, but I've seen JBS find positions for employees whose contracts ended, including myself, and I've seen plenty of people leave and ask to come back months or years later.

Keep it up!

Great small company dedicated to supporting projects that you can feel good about contributing to.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The projects contribute to social good, and the management team is thoughtful and professional. The majority of my co-workers were dedicated, smart, and hard-working. The size of the company allows it to be flexible and to pursue and range of contracts.

Cons

Because it's a small company, it lacks some of the talent and resources in a few key areas that larger companies may have.

The mission, the people, and the management make it a pleasure to come to work every day.

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in North Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International

Pros

Open access to company management; respect of co-workers; open-minded employees.

Cons

Some work spaces are difficult to concentrate in.

Keep doing what you are doing!

I am respected, valued as an employee and a person, and compensated well for work I really like doing.

I have been working at JBS International

Pros

Friendly, competent and supportive senior management
    Important work
    Good benefits, flexible leave policy, telecommuting options
    Fun place to work

Cons

Very heavy workloads at proposal times

Strive to improve communications to the non-management ranks