JCCSF

Great work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at JCCSF

Pros

Benefited
    Free Gym Membership
    People love what they do
    Amazing kids

Cons

Gym Set-up
    Constant scrutiny over the gym
    Vegetarian kitchen

Horrible place to work! BEWARE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JCCSF full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best things: the security staff, some of the awesome admin staff, having a free gym membership.

Cons

Horrible HR department, corrupt management, no opportunities to grow, unsafe work environment. Overall this was the worst job I have held. I would not recommend that anyone works here if they have a brain or self-respect. Keep looking! You'll find something better.

Support your employees in terms of their health and happiness. Hire people in management positions who are kind and not burnt out/rude. Hire people who have experience and care about Jewish values.

Great place to grow… to a point.

I worked at JCCSF full-time

Pros

Small-company, family-like atmosphere, great work-life balance. Great discounts on programs and events, especially if you have kids. Free gym and pool membership!

Cons

Little opportunity for career advancement, depending on department. Benefits are great but expensive if more than single coverage. Watch out for some of the "lifers" who may be difficult to work with.

Don't forget about compensation for non-union staff.

a decent place to work, especially nice if you have kids

Current Employee - Web and Data Services Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Web and Data Services Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JCCSF full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the discount for super high quality pre-school and camps is a major upsell for this place. Also nice having an awesome gym right downstairs. It's a union shop so you'll probably get a fair shake wage-wise. Also very family needs-friendly and it's nice to have a place to park everyday that isn't super expensive.

Cons

a little weird spending your days making "the comfortable" more comfortable! The actual work staff is mostly awesome but sometimes the smell of entitlement around here gets a little grating.

I like upper management. they're mostly accessible and (I think) try to do the right thing.

Do not work here if you want to keep your dignity

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JCCSF part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am shocked that there are only 4 reviews for this place, considering how many people work and have worked here.
    Some of the clientele is very enjoyable, and you can forge nice friendships with the regulars.

Cons

*INCREDIBLY high turnover. This is due to extremely low wages and the inability of middle management to reward good work with more hours. When I was hired, I was told I would be weekday evenings. I ended up working 3 hours a week for about 3 months. I was called repeatedly at literally the last minute to fill in for others that called in sick or did not show to work, but when I asked for more hours, I was told it "wasn't possible". Eventually I was given more hours because a co-worker with that shift left.

*Union-busting facility. 98% of employees are kept under 20 hours a week so that they are unable to join the union, which has a presence there. Only employees that have been there for 5 years or more are usually union workers.

*Difficult customers, to the extreme...and upper management expects you to take abuse, despite the low wages, Constant customer service training, with no acknowledgement that clientele can be abusive.

*Little respect and no acknowledgement for a job well done. No loyalty to employees. Very low morale amongst senior employees. No one stays for long unless they become union, because you have no benefits otherwise. Often bullied or made to feel bad if you call in sick...whether or not it's legitimate.

*In my department, you could be hired as long as you had a pulse and enjoyed "working with kids". Very little training ensues, people teaching swimming with very little swimming background, if any. People with WSI and swimming teaching experience are paid same wage as un-certified, inexperienced people.

*No raises, EVER. I worked there for two years and was never once offered a raise. I was also never told what my starting wage would be...until I asked after I was hired. I consider this to be very unprofessional and deceptive.

*Upper management sits in a glass tower (almost literally), completely removed from the reality of what is going on there. The majority of employees do not even know the names of other the employees in the building.

Rather than mass-hiring and then treating people as disposable, focus on trained/certified hires and give them a living wage and more than just part-time work. This will inspire employee loyalty. In addition, setting guidelines for customer behavior is essential. The amount of abuse that customer service employees are forced to endure is ridiculous, especially on the gym side. Offer incentives like RAISES or even just a kind word or two.

great employer

Current Employee - Camp Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JCCSF part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-fair salary
    - supportive work environment

Cons

- not much room for advancement

Probably the best after-school program (ASP) to work for in San Francisco

Current Employee - After-school Teacher's Aide in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - After-school Teacher's Aide in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JCCSF part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great pay and benefits (for the field/job-type)
    - Nice work environment
    - Many paid days off (all holidays, plus Jewish holidays)

Cons

- Too few hours (though better than many other ASP's in the city)
    - Relatively high management turnover rate
    - Occasional lack of adherence to stated organizational values

this is a great child care place

Current Employee - Child Care in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Child Care in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JCCSF as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

efficient and pleasant, neat, playful, very bright place

Cons

lots of people like it so it can be hard to get a spot

give the workers in there that work so hard more perks breaks or somethin

Great job at entry level as it is very social and centered around mental and physical health but there is no advancement

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JCCSF

Pros

Great social life between members and staff.
    Great perks such as free gym membership and discounts to productions.
    Decent full time benefits.

Cons

Little room for advancement.

Staff and members can get annoyed with the wishy washy management style . Sometimes it seems that the members are the management which can be great but also scary.

Notice when your staff is doing a good job and let them know.
    Develop clear and fair guidelines for the club and then stick to them so we are not left negotiating every little detail of service with members.