JCP Portraits Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
3.2
CEO

Pros
  • Very flexible hours (never had problems requesting a day off) (in 4 reviews)

• Great coworkers, flexible hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for a lot of physical labor (in 7 reviews)

• Appointments book every 10 minutes, meaning you get strictly 10 minutes in the camera room with each guest, no wiggle room, no matter the situation (in 4 reviews)

1. Dual Studio Manager

I have been working at JCP Portraits

Pros

This job allows me to be able to help others learn what team work is all about. It is also helping me to build my leadership skills.

Cons

The con comes in when goals aren't being met.

2. Awesome job to work for

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my manager. Super rewarding when people love your photographs. Lots of work near Christmas time but totally fun and fast paced

Cons

There were some sales goals to meet. But it wasn't super strict

3. Wonderful job and learning opportunity- 2 years expirience

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with a great manager who promotes their staff's creativity and really supports and stands by everyone's actions. I've gone from and amateur photographer to a professional. its a really great opportunity for learning and honing your craft.
    From reading other reviews it sounds like a manager really makes the studio. always ask the employees working if you have a chance

Cons

outside of holiday seasons there really isn't any way to support yourself with this job (some weeks only having 6 hours total) since it is all based on people coming in for hours for employees. and I really dont see myself moving up beyond my base photographer/ sales position.
    Also, groupons are great for customers, but the "zero sales" they bring really hurt your required $90 sales average

Advice to Management

the 10 minute appointment time is really not enough. customers don't understand, and when we fall behind we deal with the fallout.

5. Photographer

I worked at JCP Portraits

Pros

Big company and some discounts.

Cons

Manager was terrible. She didn't care about her job.

6. Fast paced

I have been working at JCP Portraits

Pros

Fast paced, shifts fly by! Wonderful manager, great team

Cons

Low hours, low pay, customers expect a $500 private session for $3.99, online customer scheduling can result in surprises when you open.

Advice to Management

Remove online scheduling or limit the ability to do so a min of 48 hours from appointment

7. Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistent work with usually friendly customers. People oriented and a patience for babies or unruly kids may be a requirement.

Cons

Families with expectations that they can turn their and camo T-shirt, mullet family into the Kardashians with a press of a button.

8. Eh, could be better

Former Employee - Sale Associate & Photographer
    Former Employee - Sale Associate & Photographer

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved interacting with customers of all ages. You would get additional "commission" for selling certain items. Training was helpful. Everyone had a common interest in photography.

Cons

Pressure to get customers in and out quickly. Must constantly try to upsell to customers. Drama between employees. Being "on call" would often result in a phonecall 30 minutes before the shift saying you're off for the day. Not enough rooms or space to work. My manager would often add her name to our sales so she would receive commission rather than us.

Advice to Management

Reward associates who are doing good and are hardworking. Do an equal amount of work as associates...don't sit back and let everyone else handle sales and photographs. Promote/hire from within.

9. You'll leave work everyday feeling tired, exploited and under-appreciated.

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's the occasional nice kid, or guest that actually appreciates your services, but unfortunately, this is rare.

Cons

The pay is lousy, the commission is a joke, and the management and customers are brutal. The worst part is the pay and commission. You'll make a little over minimum wage, and then a bonus 5 dollars (which you share with either the photographer or sales person) for selling the rip-off 300 dollar package. Oh, and if you want to spend time with family during the holiday season, forget it. You'll be swamped with hours during the holidays, and then get very few afterwards.

Advice to Management

The commission and hourly pay is just insulting. Seriously.

10. No appreciation of there employees

I have been working at JCP Portraits

Pros

The way of making memories

Cons

No hrs, no big raises, not enough to live off

11. Photographer

Former Employee - Photographer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at JCP Portraits

Pros

Flexible schedules to work with other jobs. Discounts at JCPenny stores was nice. Great prices for all types of salaries for clients.

Cons

Managers were unfair to workers and customers. It was too much work for the money you would receive. Screaming and crying babies all day while upset customers yelled at you for being behind in the studio. Each customer is given only 10 minutes to stay in the camera room, regardless of the situation i.e. newborns, pets, difficult children or special needs kids.

Advice to Management

To HR: It's impossible to photograph a family with small kids in under 10 minutes. I'd like to see you try it for only $10 an hour.