JCP Portraits

JCP Portraits Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Overall good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that work here are great! I loved sharing my day with them. My boss from my last location stays in contact with me and always asks me to come back for the Christmas season

ConsMinimum Wage...depending where you work. I worked for $7.25 at one location and when I was relocated they were shocked at how little I was making for such an exhaustive job.

Another Typical College Dead End Job

Photographer (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO

I worked at JCP Portraits full-time for more than a year

ProsDid gain a little bit of photo knowledge

ConsCrap schedules, low pay, no breaks at all

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall better management

Working for JCP Portraits is a great part time job, most of the time.

Photographer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time for more than a year

ProsThe work at the portrait studio is fun, active and creative. I've really enjoyed expanding my knowledge of photography and portraiture. If you're just starting out in the field they will train you on the equipment as well as ways to maximize the sales options in and out of the camera room.

ConsWorking every holiday is difficult. It's harder when you have two kids and you never get to spend time together as a family because you're working every weekend. The work schedule is based on appointments so there is no predicting when you'll have a day off. As with any job working with people, some guests are cruel or have unreasonable expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't actually complain about management. They run an online community where photographers can share their successes and challenges. Upper management monitors the public discussions and responds quickly to out comments. My only thought is that there might be better communication about special offers that will increase guest volume so that we can prepare appropriately.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great first job

Studio Team Member (Current Employee)
Chino, CA

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time for less than a year

ProsWhen it comes to a first job, JcPenney Portraits/Lifetouch teaches you a lot about customer service, teamwork and they're constantly looking to help you improve.

ConsI've experienced MANY weekend shifts where I was denied a ten minute or a half an hour break when they came due - and it wasn't until late in the game that I was told how to add a compensational hour to my paycheck. It has been really ridiculous. I'm a team player, don't get me wrong, but if I'm working a seven hour shift, you better believe I need to take a break to get something to eat and to clear my head.
The hours you're scheduled for depend on how you're doing on sales. Simple as that. If your numbers are high, you'll work more; if not, find a second job. For the most part, you'll be on-call - meaning that you better not make plans until you call in the night before (for a morning shift) or by noon (for a 3-close shift). I've made that mistake before: making plans and then finding out I had to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Give them the breaks they deserve - every day that I go home and haven't eaten in 8+ hours is a day that I really don't want to go back in the next day.

Picture perfect, and not so perfect.

Photographer/Associate (Current Employee)
Mentor, OH

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat environment. Flexible with schedules (ie. school, second job, family). Get to see happy customers, and repeat customers. Able to see families and individuals grow over time. Help express emotion, uniqueness and personality through images.

ConsNot much opportunity to advance in the company. Raises are minimal, and pay is low for the work done. Get select few customers who are completely unable to please and demand things to be free or close to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better management with skills in both photography and management. Also find those who have a great work ethic and believe that a great manager accomplishes work with their employees, not through them.

JCP Portraits is the place to get your photos taken

Studio Associate (Current Employee)
Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful photographers. Very clean environment. Picture selection process is very easy. Every studio associate is dressed appropriately. Very nice location.

ConsThe picture taking rooms are smallish.

The children are fun to work with.

Photographer (Current Employee)
Lima, OH

I have been working at JCP Portraits

ProsYou learn a lot about people, photography, lighting, and communication. I work with a great staff, who make work fun.

ConsSchedules range because of the weird set up. There are times you'll be on call and there are other times you are scheduled and you won't all the sudden be needed. You loose hours easily sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the scheduling was set up a little differently some weeks I'll have eight hours and other weeks I'll have twenty five.

okay job , but you have to have patience with children

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Pasadena, TX

I worked at JCP Portraits

Prosgreat coworkers, good manager, got time off when I really needed it, made awesome memories and met really nice families, got good discounts on pictures and 20% store discount, close early on Sundays, and closed by 7 during the week..unless you have a 7pm appointment...then you could be there till 8 or 9 depending on what the customer wants. seeing the customers smile especially when you had a difficult sit and got that one great shot.

Consonly ten minutes to take pictures, that's almost impossible especially when working with small babies/children who are throwing tantrums, gets really, really, really busy during christmas...and are still expected to take pictures in 10 minutes!! crazy parents who want to put their kids in 10 different outfits after being told that we only allowed 2 outfit changes and 2 backgrounds (only happened a few times and most of the families that came in were always nice). customers expecting to still get their pics taken after they were an hour late and then getting mad because they were late. co workers who weren't really as great at taking pics as they thought they were...not the managers fault just thought they needed more training.

Advice to Senior Managementyou need more than 10 minutes to take a great picture especially when families with small children are involved.

A VERY part time job

Studio Associate (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at JCP Portraits

ProsPhotography is a lot of fun. It is also nice to see customers reactions to your work.

ConsNo hours and no benefits. You can not use this job as your sole income source. The pay is low and even if you are realy good at what you do you will not be scheduled a decent amount of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Pay = Lower turnover, better sales and customer service. Pay quality people instead of hiring and training tons of inexperienced people and giving them minimal hours and minimal pay. Those trainees take horrible pictures and mishandle customers all of which cost you money and your reputation as a business.

GOOD WORK ENVIRONMENT

PHOTOGRAPHEER (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at JCP Portraits

Prosflexible hours, good work conditions

Constoo many screaming kids and

Worked for JCP Portraits? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JCP Portraits reviews and ratings. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by JCP Portraits employees.