JCP Salon & Spa

Add Photos

Ron Johnson

salon

Frederick, MD

Proslove working for this company get to work hours that work for me my boss is flexible and always willing to work w/me great co-workers

Conswe need to bring back retail commission and full time receptionist we have a busy salon and there is no one to answer phones and sell retail so we are losing clients daily have see a 20 % drop because of it. It is very un- professional that we ring up our clients and have to ask for a tip!!

Advice to Senior Managementneed receptionist and small bags for retail

When you need to start somewhere...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe store discounts were a nice perk. Also having the ability to earn at least an hourly wage while building your clientele was helpful.

ConsWorking at the Arden Mall locations, the salon was on the 3rd floor tucked into a corner and was hard to find. Lots of new clients communicated surprise that the store even had a salon as the advertising was lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore advertising will help sales and service dollars come in which in turn, helps salon employees earn more money. Spending $$ on advertising is a Win - Win!

It's just okay

Salon Designer (Current Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsStaff tends to be a bit older, so there's less drama than there tends to be in privately owned salons.

ConsThere are not enough walk-ins and it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to make more than 42% commission if you are only working part-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay stylists commission on product sales!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love Team Work

Senior Stylist (Current Employee)
    Hiram, GA

ProsEveryone in the Hiram, Ga. location is wonderful. Every department has love for each other and respect too. I always dreamed of working for a company that gives praise to their employees. They care for us and your growth in the company.

ConsThe new changes are difficult but showing us what the vision is going to be like in the next couple of months is well worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo all store managers give thanks to your employees at all times. We like that.

Stylist

ProsBenefits, walk-in clients, great place to start for new stylists. Insurance, 401k , paid time off, backbar all provided.

ConsThe career path is limited. Insurance is available, but not good quality. Color bar is poorly stocked, a serious downfall when clients are waiting for color service. Salon is not strongly supported by the company. Salon is stark, white, unappealing, outdated. Stations are crammed in, very little room and no windows.

master stylest

Master Stylist (Current Employee)

Prosgood working team. love the co-workers. Great employe discounts.

Conshate the management. Constant changes from corp. makes for disrespect. The new pay scale sucks. At least when you got commision, you knew it was your doing. Now you get you check and get mad at the men up the ladder. the way they change things constantly makes us belive that they have no clue what they are doing. there is no common sence in this company.

Good company, poor upper management

Salon Leader (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits - if you can get them, friendly co-workers, great training opportunities but also too much required training that is not relevant to the job.

ConsStore management is stuck in the old ways of doing things and not open to change. Definite lack of team work (at least in the last store I worked in).

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation for employees by giving rather than taking. Be open to diversity.

Great company to work for.

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Orange Park, FL

ProsYou can get your hair done virtually free (just make sure and tip your stylist)
    Benefits are great
    Diverse Coworkers

ConsNot really very many if any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees happy!

You Couldn't Find a better stomping ground or retire in a better place!

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Daytona Beach, FL

ProsExcellent Career choice anyone who is just starting out in the industry. The environment alone gives you access to countless mentors with different techniques and theories. Free Salon training is offered from the company and its retail vendors. Appointment setting, rebooking, and cashing out your customer is all taken care of for you which is a BIG PLUS. You also learn retail and get to work with several product lines,get a chance to develop client relationships, and have opportunity for promotion.
    Also excellent for anyone wanting to settle down and hand over the reigns of responsibility of an established business. It offers excellent benefits like medical,dental and eye insurance. Paid vacation and sick days, 401k , stock options and of course store discount. :)

ConsIf you are someone coming from a booth rental experience it ay be hard for you to adjust to commission based pay. But if not having to purchase supplies, book and track clients, budget, obtain and renew business licenses, get your own insurance and file your own taxes each year is worth it to you. You will get over it and see its a great long run decision-maybe :)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw away coupons for the salon. A one time customer that you didnt have before thats brought in by a coupon is just as good as or better than waiting on a customer to crack and become long term...- :) Great Job and thanks for my start!

One of the best salons to work for

Omaha, NE

ProsThe atmosphere is great. Co-workers are helpful and there's paid technical training.

ConsThe pay is now hourly, no longer commission based which means no matter how many appointments you may have or the amount of revenue you generate for each pay period your pay doesn't change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Worked for JCP Salon & Spa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JCP Salon & Spa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JCP Salon & Spa CEO Ron Johnson. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by JCP Salon & Spa employees.