JD Byrider Reviews

CEO

1. Best job ever

Former Employee - Program Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Program Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at JD Byrider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Great pay and benefits
    *Great concept
    *Wonderful Customers

Cons

Hours were killer, no time for family or friends, all the good coworkers left because of constant changes in the payplan, upper management stopped valuing talented employees

Advice to Management

Value your talented employees, stop holding grudges

2. My Experience but Things May Have Changed

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carmel, IN

I worked at JD Byrider part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First corporate experience. I had to take a leave and Becky was very helpful. When the company was sold we were told our jobs were secure and the Mrs. DeVoe decided to give employees bonuses based on the amount of time we spent with the company. However, a week later they terminated my position and the position of others. I trained the staff member who replaced me.

However, they were inflexible to my school schedule and being let go allowed me to focus more on school and get my degree. Being laid off from J.D. Byrider was one of the best things to happen to me.

Cons

I worked here part time making outbound calls to follow up with customers after they purchased a car or after they had their car in for service. When a customer would have an issue we were told to refer them back to their dealership or offer the complaint line. It seemed like a vicious cycle because complaints were not anonymous and that led to other problems. It didn't feel good knowing that there were problems and I couldn't help solve them. Listening to some customers' stories about how they've had 4 motors in their vehicles since they've purchased or how they felt they were left high and dry after their purchase. Or how they weren't told the price of their vehicle until the end of the process and when they saw their six year old P.T. Cruiser was $17,000 they had already spent so much time at the dealership, they felt they had to go through with the purchase.

J.D. Byrider seemed to prey on the week and desperate. I understand that customers have the power to walk away from the table but if they are going to sign a contract paying 4x what a car is worth, it should at least last them through the life of the loan and not traded out for another vehicle that will put them in the same position. It is no doubt that a lot of Byrider's customers are high risk so charging higher prices/interest is understandable but to this extent, I felt guilty saying that I worked for J.D. Byrider.

Advice to Management

Show more compassion to customer's disposition who have gotten a bad deal.

3. 90% of Customers are Jerks

Current Employee - Sales & Program Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales & Program Consultant

I have been working at JD Byrider (Less than a year)

Pros

My particular franchise is small in size, and we don't move a lot of cars. There is on-demand online training any time you need to refresh yourself. The original model established 25 years ago is a good one. Our franchise owner truly cares and services our customers.

Cons

Customers just plain suck most of the time. You can't have anyone do a credit application online which basically every dealership does except us. Corporate doesn't claim any review sites so all the reviews found are negative, when there's tons of good reviews on our own site. There is no commission, just bonuses. Anything a sales person wants to do to "brand" themselves has to practically be approved through corporate. We have to sell them based on their "needs" rather than wants.

Advice to Management

Adjust the model to fit with the times. Everyone is looking at KBB, so everyone feels like it's a rip off because this stupid guide infers that it is. Offer newer and higher priced cars. Competition is getting people into newer cars with longer terms with more goodies. It's easier to sell wants over needs.

5. Account Exe

Former Employee - Executive Account Manager in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Executive Account Manager in Carmel, IN

I worked at JD Byrider (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for JD Byrider when the family owned it!

Cons

Low pay. No growth. Management has no clue how to handle a call center!!

6. CNAC Account Rep

I worked at JD Byrider

Pros

Nice work environment
    Nice Customers
    Decent Pay
    Bonus Plan
    Vacation and Sick Pay

Cons

Horrible work schedule
    Bonus Plan
    Horrible Management
    No work and Life Balance
    No lunch break on Saturdays

7. Program Consultant

Former Employee - Program Consultant in DeSoto, TX
    Former Employee - Program Consultant in DeSoto, TX

I worked at JD Byrider

Pros

The freedom of not being tied down to a desk able to move around a little as long as your work was getting done. The ability to meet with so many different people and help them and their families out with getting them transportation so they could get to work or better jobs. Management would work with you on time off. The fact that they offer a salary+ commission

Cons

Selling a 3k car for 18k is morally wrong, they try to mask the price by saying we are helping rebuild credit but its honestly no different from how any other company who reports credit. Long hours as you can expect with most car sales. Constantly changing pay plan making it harder for you to make the money you once were. I came in selling 10-12 cars and made close to 3500-4k monthly but they kept changing it to were it eventually took 20+ cars to make that same money. So I was working harder for less pay. Its just a high stress time consuming job with no real growth potential. The warranty is a joke, because they knew the cars had the issues before the sale but inconvenience the customer by making them miss work being stuck on the side of the highway with kids in the car or in some cases the cars almost or did cause accidents because the service department is trash.

Advice to Management

Treat customers and employees better. Change with the market don't get caught up with how it used to be 20+ yrs ago the market isn't the same. Better cars that are known to hold value and have less problems. Be more understanding to customers situations and stop the hard collections only makes customers mad and you loose referrals and set a back name for yourself going forward

8. glorified telemarketer for low income people

Former Employee - Product Consultant in Chamblee, GA
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in Chamblee, GA

I worked at JD Byrider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

base salary of $30,000 per year, paid vacation

Cons

From the time you walk in everyday, you are expected to get on the phone and start dialing for dollars. You will call people that have been assigned to you from the internet. These people have been called by the national call center a minimum of 30 times before the lead is given to you. I was calling people that had only wanted to look at our inventory, and some we had been calling for over a year! You don't get any commission until you sell 12 cars. It is high pressure as the only way you are going to hit your goal of 12 cars is self generating sales. The problem too is that only about 30% get approved. The company requirement is 25 appointments and 12 applications per week. They won't give you the time you need to build your business before giving you letters about your under performance.

Advice to Management

Advertise! Stop relying on your employees to promote your business. You are making tons of money off of these old cars. Invest to help your people

9. no commission or Bonus potential unless you sell 12 cars
    Commission structure is low

I worked at JD Byrider

Pros

The pay is decent if you can hustle enough sales a month to get a bonus, definitely a learning experience for the right person.

Cons

Management disperses horrible leads and does not take accountability for their actions
    no room for advancement, more like a telemarketer position.

10. Keep your strongest resources

Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at JD Byrider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Flexibility, Great concept

Cons

Poor corporate direction, lack of transparency, too many changes that are implemented and then reversed. Does not value employee pool that it has and is often looking outside the box for upper management that has little to no related experience in the industry. Lax training and follow through.

Advice to Management

Value your resources and work with the stronger players to uphold JDB standards and customer service. Provide clear direction and transparency.

11. Sell and make money

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at JD Byrider (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you can sell you can make money
    Good benefits

Cons

Management keot chaging things thinking that would fix the company instead of just going back to the old way of doing things.

Advice to Management

Pay more and don't high from outside the company

RSS Feed </> Embed