JDA Software

JDA Software Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

JDA Software President and CEO Hamish N. J. Brewer

Hamish N. J. Brewer

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, opportunity to grow, overall a good company to work with"
    in 33 reviews
  • "gt;Good work culture with no silly rules/restrictions"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Compensation was a little on the lower side but I guess with good work-life balance comes lesser compensation"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Not good Senior Management nowadays"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic

Senior Security Administrator (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at JDA Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExtremely talented co-workers, Great potential for growth in the company.

ConsLong hours. Many acquisitions that require lengthy hours of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Still struggling from merger; hasn't grown up

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at JDA Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- support working remote
- HR are true business partners
- Focus on training
- work hard, play hard mentality
- pockets of strong leaders

Cons- bloated leadership and no empowerment at lower management levels - can't get anything done - takes months and "everyone wants to weigh in"
- short sighted decisions regarding elimination of positions
- processes are still very immature and manual and feel like they are associated with a $1M company not a $1B company
- investors are way too involved - driving decisions that may have short term uplift but long term will not be sustained and will be detrimental to the company

Advice to Senior Management2014 is going to be a year to watch, either you will be able to pull it out of the ditches as the result of the merger or the decisions from 2013 will continue to haunt and new leadership will need to be brought in to fix the company

Bloated at the top

Solution Architect (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JDA Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are excited about travel and supply chain information management, then this is a good place to be

ConsSales org being disconnected from consulting organization, Careers in consulting are a dead end at a certain point.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no empowerment of employees which happens to be one of the guiding principles.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software company that does not care about its software engineers (!)

Software Architect (Former Employee)
Waukesha, WI

I worked at JDA Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Great people in the Waukesha office
- Loved working for RedPrairie in Waukesha; great culture and comradely
- Work-life balance is very good
- Time-off never a big deal (except around release time)
- 401k policy is pretty solid

Cons- Way too top heavy. Not caring about its software engineers as a software company.
- Upper Management, Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Services, Customer Support are all seen as vastly more important than Product Development (the people that actually make your software!)
- Firmly believes in off-shoring to the point where it's 70% India / 30% on-shore.
- No opportunity for advancement as a developer. They're basically waiting for you to quit to be replaced with Indian resources. And if you want to get in management, better wait 10+ years for that Director slot that every Director is firmly holding on to desperately. In fact, when I said I want to grow into a Management role (to meet the motto of the company and my own personal growth) I got almost ZERO support. In fact, during that same time frame (over a year), my team size went shrunk vastly.
- No innovation. Basically banking on maintenance revenue streams and very incremental improvements in the products. Thus, growth is at a snail's place and the work is pretty boring after awhile.
- Unreasonable bonus metrics that are NEVER hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring in India; this leads to poor quality and even more time spent by your on-shore resources training these guys and fixing their mistakes.

Upper management seems disconnected from the workforce

I have been working at JDA Software full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people in the ranks. OK pay and decent benefits. Reasonable career opportunities, mostly if you live in Bangalore.

ConsLudicrously top-heavy organization means people making meaningful decisions have no contact with the folks who have to carry out those decisions. It's common to report to a manager in a different city (who might in turn report to a manager in yet another city).

The merger with RedPrairie was a disaster. VCs and bankers probably made a fortune, but the disruption has yet to die down over a year later. It's like trying to fit a hundred square pegs into a hundred round holes. Most of the RP executives, who for the most part were quality leaders, have left.

Domestic layoffs year after year while hiring inexperienced Indian replacements by the hundred (and announcing promotions of directors and RVPs) destroys morale. The Bangalore office is called the "Center of Excellence," which is kind of an ironic joke among the rank and file. The CEO gushes about the stated goal of outsourcing 70% of total headcount (not just development) as if it doesn't strike terror into the hearts of US employees. Many of the best people have left rather than continue to play the layoff lottery, and if they get replaced, it's in Bangalore.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like you care about the quality of your products instead of just talking a big game while cutting corners. Stop using layers of middle management to insulate yourselves from the actual work being done. Don't treat employees like replaceable office supplies. Realize that five 22-year-olds for whom English is a second language are not likely to be as productive as one highly experienced developer who knows the code.

Grand Visions, poor Execution

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at JDA Software full-time

ProsWorking with top-tier clients, selling and implementing tier-1 systems, surrounded by a disproportionately large amount of bright people, excellent camaraderie and willingness to learn/teach within implementation teams, pretty decent treatment of employees

ConsMandates from leadership with little followup or assistance in meeting those objectives, poor communication from leadership (but getting better), internal initiatives designed to fill check boxes and resumes as opposed to purposeful change, misleading portions of the company when the intention is to outsource those jobs. Minimal control over your project bookings and work schedule (your availability is managed by a coordinator completely independent of your actual work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a wealth of very bright, very talented, very experienced individuals. Instead of trying to wrap these individuals around a stiff product, let's leverage them and wrap our products around the individuals.

Still finding their way

I have been working at JDA Software

ProsThey seem to overall communicate decisions with their employees well.

ConsDon't seem to appreciate knowledge in workers very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to be so stringent on the whole 70/30 thing.

End of an era

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at JDA Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHad been a great place to work

ConsSeem to have stopped investing in innovation or upkeep of their products.

Advice to Senior Managementmove on.

Not sure they have their act together

Senior Director, Presales (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at JDA Software full-time for more than a year

ProsNot many pros, I was there about 18mos, but during that time they seemed to lose focus. A lot of VP changes in in all areas of the company, and not for the better. It appears like they promoted their buddies and got rid of the good people: Peter Principal.

ConsNo real direction, old product, moving all support to India, which is a real problem for support. Language issue with people o/s US, and connecting with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, start at the top, and figure out where you want to take the company.

Fun

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
Spokane, WA

I have been working at JDA Software part-time for less than a year

ProsJust a great place to be

ConsNothing! this place rocks! I love it

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what yall doin babyy

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for JDA Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JDA Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for JDA Software CEO Hamish N. J. Brewer. All 219 reviews posted anonymously by JDA Software employees.