JDRF

JDRF Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Laidback working environment and very nice people.

Accounting Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMy main project is to claim and report unclaimed property for JDRF, which is a whole new area for me. Interns can definitely learn something from the internship.

ConsDo not sponsor international student.

let's gut the IT department

Prossummer Fridays
    good benefits
    ability to work from home
    off between Christmas and New Years
    company culture geared towards eliminating T1 Diabetes

Consno career path,no plan. Layoffs abound..if money needs to be saved, maybe cutting unnecessary expenses is better in the long run than just gutting departments

Management Nightmare

Development Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsYou are working for a wonderful cause and frequently with interesting and driven colleagues and volunteers. I made invaluable connections with prominent members of the community who have acted as reccommenders and mentors.

ConsMy boss was a pill-popping alcoholic who disrupted workflow in a daily fire-drill-style panic. The four of us under her worked great together, but would be thrown into manic workflow for months at a time. I was told I was not allowed to submit my 'real' hours and that I would slowly get my extra overtime later in the summer. I was naive to ever agree to that, and she was forced out before summer ever started. I still had faith in the organization until I met more of the regional and national management who consistently said one thing and did another. We felt like we were on a remote island working away. I left shortly after the boss was forced out and the other staff all left around the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your structure and how to support your teams across all chapters. Don't force chapters into strict structures that don't work for their volunteers and donors. Keep an eye on your executive directors who consistently exceed budget and wreak havoc by reaching out to their employees to make sure you're supporting your staff or risk alienating an entire city's worth of donors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JDRF

ProsMission driven, feel good sort of company

ConsThey'll try to own your life

Once a great place to work, now a toxic environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJDRF is a great cause. The staff are extraordinarily committed and go above and beyond to support the mission. The volunteers are some of the most passionate people I've ever met. JDRF offers generous benefits, including a very good health insurance plan and an above-average number of vacation days and holidays. JDRF also has an excellent research strategy, and none of the negative sentiment regarding management or work environment should dissuade anyone from contributing this organization, which is still best-equipped to bring about a world without T1D.

ConsWhat was once a collegial and inspiring work environment has changed for the worse in recent years, evolving into a top-down, micromanaged organization that seems to be operating without a plan. Upper management changes course every few months with new strategies that contradict previous ones, and is then surprised when they're not effectively implemented. Decisions seem to be made on the fly, and positions are frequently "eliminated" without warning, leaving many employees constantly on edge about their job security. The result is extraordinarily low morale that currently pervades the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and what they bring to the table. Many intelligent, creative, and passionate people work at this organization, but they are treated as cogs in the machine that have no input and are expendable. Remember that JDRF is an organization made of people, who should be valued above "processes" and "systems." Start once again listening to volunteers who have successfully guided the organization for 40+ years. The organization is unfortunately in a downward spiral, and responsible, consistent, and strategic management is needed to turn it around.

Once a "Best place to work" has degraded to the worst non-profit for employees

ProsPassionate people working toward a great cause. They had a clear vision with precise goals and a path to get there. (Now, the path is unclear, the leadership has lost it's way in research and volunteers question the CEO's approach to finding a cure.) Fundraising team is incredibly passionate and caring for the donors, volunteers and supporters of the Mission.

ConsThe CEO has begun to micro-manage every aspect of the business from Research to Fundraising - but he's expert in neither. Both the Research and Fundraising staff are frustrated and demoralized as they are second-guessed at every turn. Don't come here with a brain and a plan to use it, it'll be quickly discarded as unnecessary - simply do as you are told and change direction regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire great people, explain the vision, ask for a plan and then let them execute.

Development Manager

Development Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe cause is fantastic. The politics and pay are not.

ConsThe "National" department is an absolute joke. You are not given any freedom to do your job and are micromanaged on a daily basis. The reason people work here is for the cause and research, not to be involved in a political scheme.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your workers work and reward them. Don't micromanage, especially from thousands of miles away. Remember, you're raising money to find a cure...not run for office.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Make good money, CEO makes much more

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVolunteers are true to the cause.

Cons20% of everything donated is sucked up by salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake this about the kids

Work for the mission, not the culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing mission and excellent work life balance. They leave you alone if you are getting your work done.

ConsVery political and difficult to work through red tape. They are still behind the curve when it comes to a clear business mentality of fundraising. Hard to change old ways.

Horrible work environment, moral lower than I've ever seen at any organization.

New York, NY

ProsEveryone buys into the mission of finding a cure for type 1 diabetes. Volunteers make the place run, not the national office which is a snake pit of politics, backstabbing and low moral.

ConsMoral is brutal at JDRF, arbitrary staff cuts, zero growth and a CEO who is utterly lost in his job. The cuts to senior staff are not tied to revenue growth, which is nonexistent, but rather to the whims of the CEO and former COO. Many very effective long term staff, some with decades of experience, have been fired in the past year because of a desire to clean house and start fresh. But these changes have not helped drive revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone who can stand up to the CEO, who is universally disliked and not respected.

Worked for JDRF? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JDRF reviews and ratings. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by JDRF employees.