JDRF Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.1

CEO

Passionate mission, wonderful inspiring kids

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at JDRF full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, dedicated and hardworking

Cons

Frequent changes and challenging communication

Look out for work load stress in front line employees

Great mission and cause, not so great leadership

Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator
    Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The research that is being done and the millions of people JDRF is helping is fabulous. Working with the families affected by T1D is what keeps you there.

Cons

LOTS of organizational changes....all of the time. Every chapter is different but the lack of leadership from "national" is terrible. You will be taken advantage of if you don't stand up for yourself. More work, more responsibilities, title changes but little to no compensation.

Missed opportunity!

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their mission and purpose is good!

Cons

Very poor treatment of employees. They seem to forget that the employees are the heart of the organization. Upper management seems to have lost their way and they don't keep the mission in mind. Little to no support from upper management.

Treat your employees appropriately

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

awful place to work

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best reason to work here is the office location on Broadway

Cons

poor management, disorganized, functions like a multi - level- marketing organization. Board frequently discounts its own "conflict of interest " policy and authorize each other to enable 5 and 6 figure "consulting" agreements for "volunteer" board members. C-level compensation frequently includes NYC apartment ... they "manage" research and create advocacy campaigns. i often wondered if donors would get more for their efforts by funding direct to research hospitals and researchers. Extremely political.

You forgot you're a NON PROFIT

Depressing and unstable environment year after year.

I have been working at JDRF full-time

Pros

Helping people with Type 1 Diabetes. Noble cause. Great values. Staff are wonderful and care about the mission. Proud to be working for such a great cause. Inspires hope.

Cons

Feels like working on the Titanic. Constant turmoil. No career growth or any kind of job security. Depressing. Bonus program is an insulting joke - better put these tiny/zero amounts toward the mission and quit all the hype. Lots of people getting fired all the time - revolving door. CEOs don't last very long either. Staff always one mistake away from being fired. Senior management really does not care about you. Toxic.

Value your employees. Emphasize job growth. Reward staff with praise and positive feedback - this is often more important than money. Work toward more stability in upper management. Put together a solid strategy and stick with it.

Sad decline

I have been working at JDRF for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated volunteers and staff. Single minded drive to improve the lives of people living with type 1. Excellent progress in research.

Cons

Clueless upper management has gutted the organization of many veteran employees. Horrible work environment. No concern for employees at all.

JDRF

I have been working at JDRF

Pros

Mission driven, feel good sort of company

Cons

They'll try to own your life

let's gut the IT department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at JDRF full-time

Pros

summer Fridays
    good benefits
    ability to work from home
    off between Christmas and New Years
    company culture geared towards eliminating T1 Diabetes

Cons

no career path,no plan. Layoffs abound..if money needs to be saved, maybe cutting unnecessary expenses is better in the long run than just gutting departments

Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Development Assistant
    Former Employee - Development Assistant

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are working for a wonderful cause and frequently with interesting and driven colleagues and volunteers. I made invaluable connections with prominent members of the community who have acted as reccommenders and mentors.

Cons

My boss was a pill-popping alcoholic who disrupted workflow in a daily fire-drill-style panic. The four of us under her worked great together, but would be thrown into manic workflow for months at a time. I was told I was not allowed to submit my 'real' hours and that I would slowly get my extra overtime later in the summer. I was naive to ever agree to that, and she was forced out before summer ever started. I still had faith in the organization until I met more of the regional and national management who consistently said one thing and did another. We felt like we were on a remote island working away. I left shortly after the boss was forced out and the other staff all left around the same time.

Figure out your structure and how to support your teams across all chapters. Don't force chapters into strict structures that don't work for their volunteers and donors. Keep an eye on your executive directors who consistently exceed budget and wreak havoc by reaching out to their employees to make sure you're supporting your staff or risk alienating an entire city's worth of donors.

Once a great place to work, now a toxic environment

I worked at JDRF full-time

Pros

JDRF is a great cause. The staff are extraordinarily committed and go above and beyond to support the mission. The volunteers are some of the most passionate people I've ever met. JDRF offers generous benefits, including a very good health insurance plan and an above-average number of vacation days and holidays. JDRF also has an excellent research strategy, and none of the negative sentiment regarding management or work environment should dissuade anyone from contributing this organization, which is still best-equipped to bring about a world without T1D.

Cons

What was once a collegial and inspiring work environment has changed for the worse in recent years, evolving into a top-down, micromanaged organization that seems to be operating without a plan. Upper management changes course every few months with new strategies that contradict previous ones, and is then surprised when they're not effectively implemented. Decisions seem to be made on the fly, and positions are frequently "eliminated" without warning, leaving many employees constantly on edge about their job security. The result is extraordinarily low morale that currently pervades the organization.

Start respecting your employees and what they bring to the table. Many intelligent, creative, and passionate people work at this organization, but they are treated as cogs in the machine that have no input and are expendable. Remember that JDRF is an organization made of people, who should be valued above "processes" and "systems." Start once again listening to volunteers who have successfully guided the organization for 40+ years. The organization is unfortunately in a downward spiral, and responsible, consistent, and strategic management is needed to turn it around.

Worked for JDRF? Contribute to the Community!