JDRF Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014
2.1

Derek K. Rapp

Great mission -- management needs improvement

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization has a great mission, and they try to offer competitive salaries & benefits. The volunteers are passionate about the mission, which helps balance the cons a bit. The mission-centric thinking makes up for a lot of the dysfunction in management.

Cons

Instability at the top leads to uncertainty throughout the organization. The most recent CEO, who was just replaced in July, had almost single-handedly destroyed any shred of morale left among employees in the national office. (Something like 30+ people were fired in his last few months.) Hopefully the new/interim CEO will be able to do some triage, salvage any remainder of morale, and then start the difficult process of rebuilding trust in the leadership of the organization.

This should be an amazing place to work. Please listen to the employees! Board: Pay attention to what the CEO is doing, not just what's being told to you at your meetings, and listen to what is coming through the employee and volunteer grapevine. Things under the most recent CEO should have been dealt with long ago.

Great Cause

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in San Diego, CA

I worked at JDRF part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loved being able to see the difference we were making in peoples lives!

Cons

The office staff was VERY controlling.

Passionate mission, wonderful inspiring kids

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at JDRF full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, dedicated and hardworking

Cons

Frequent changes and challenging communication

Look out for work load stress in front line employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission and cause, not so great leadership

Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator
    Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The research that is being done and the millions of people JDRF is helping is fabulous. Working with the families affected by T1D is what keeps you there.

Cons

LOTS of organizational changes....all of the time. Every chapter is different but the lack of leadership from "national" is terrible. You will be taken advantage of if you don't stand up for yourself. More work, more responsibilities, title changes but little to no compensation.

awful place to work

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best reason to work here is the office location on Broadway

Cons

poor management, disorganized, functions like a multi - level- marketing organization. Board frequently discounts its own "conflict of interest " policy and authorize each other to enable 5 and 6 figure "consulting" agreements for "volunteer" board members. C-level compensation frequently includes NYC apartment ... they "manage" research and create advocacy campaigns. i often wondered if donors would get more for their efforts by funding direct to research hospitals and researchers. Extremely political.

You forgot you're a NON PROFIT

Missed opportunity!

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their mission and purpose is good!

Cons

Very poor treatment of employees. They seem to forget that the employees are the heart of the organization. Upper management seems to have lost their way and they don't keep the mission in mind. Little to no support from upper management.

Treat your employees appropriately

Sad decline

I have been working at JDRF for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated volunteers and staff. Single minded drive to improve the lives of people living with type 1. Excellent progress in research.

Cons

Clueless upper management has gutted the organization of many veteran employees. Horrible work environment. No concern for employees at all.

Depressing and unstable environment year after year.

I have been working at JDRF full-time

Pros

Helping people with Type 1 Diabetes. Noble cause. Great values. Staff are wonderful and care about the mission. Proud to be working for such a great cause. Inspires hope.

Cons

Feels like working on the Titanic. Constant turmoil. No career growth or any kind of job security. Depressing. Bonus program is an insulting joke - better put these tiny/zero amounts toward the mission and quit all the hype. Lots of people getting fired all the time - revolving door. CEOs don't last very long either. Staff always one mistake away from being fired. Senior management really does not care about you. Toxic.

Value your employees. Emphasize job growth. Reward staff with praise and positive feedback - this is often more important than money. Work toward more stability in upper management. Put together a solid strategy and stick with it.

Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Development Assistant
    Former Employee - Development Assistant

I worked at JDRF full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are working for a wonderful cause and frequently with interesting and driven colleagues and volunteers. I made invaluable connections with prominent members of the community who have acted as reccommenders and mentors.

Cons

My boss was a pill-popping alcoholic who disrupted workflow in a daily fire-drill-style panic. The four of us under her worked great together, but would be thrown into manic workflow for months at a time. I was told I was not allowed to submit my 'real' hours and that I would slowly get my extra overtime later in the summer. I was naive to ever agree to that, and she was forced out before summer ever started. I still had faith in the organization until I met more of the regional and national management who consistently said one thing and did another. We felt like we were on a remote island working away. I left shortly after the boss was forced out and the other staff all left around the same time.

Figure out your structure and how to support your teams across all chapters. Don't force chapters into strict structures that don't work for their volunteers and donors. Keep an eye on your executive directors who consistently exceed budget and wreak havoc by reaching out to their employees to make sure you're supporting your staff or risk alienating an entire city's worth of donors.

JDRF

I have been working at JDRF

Pros

Mission driven, feel good sort of company

Cons

They'll try to own your life

Worked for JDRF? Contribute to the Community!