JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week(in 9 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are overworked - no work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers(in 10 reviews)

Lunched with a former subordinate, to see it the company was worth returning to

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJDSU is the Goliath of the photonics telecommunincations device industry. It is too big to fail. If one has a vision, and the thick skin and determination to see it through, here are all the resources to make that vision live. This is the surest place, to launch another telco revolution, such as was brought on by the EDFA and the high-powered tunable laser source, and the fiber-to.-the-premises.

ConsJDSU made numerous acquisitions since the early 90's-2000's, which in turn were the amalgamation of numerous acquisitions, and has yet to integrate these disparate,graphically separate, units, each of which clings to its own original culture and origins. Unbelievably, more than 10 years later, the squabble over who (what site, or former acquisition) will do what, still lingers. In-fighting and political manoevering is left to settle the matter, rather than rational decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRip -off the band-aid in the Telco part of your triad. Make rational personnel and business decisions and explain them high and low. Re-assign, hire, fire, re-align, whatever you call it. The organization carries too much history of turf wars (and charisma duels) that should have been laid to rest long ago, more than a decade ago.

Great place to work... challenging, but rewarding

ProsOpportunity to make a difference, JDSU makes an impact on the most important things in life

ConsDue to the markets we are in... there are often changes that occur quickly and with little notice, which makes planning difficult.

PLM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work locations. Somewhat flexible hours in that you are not 9-5. Great opportunities to work globally.

ConsManagement fails at every level to communicate any sort of vision or plan. There are constant reorgs, and they have not meet a VP that they won't hire. They place unrealistic work loads on their staff. They will without thought or consideration of skills eliminate employees to meet their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring new directors, VPs to solve problems. Too many layers of management that are not in touch with what is needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This used to be a great place to work, then JDSU bought it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsThere are still some people left that are really great.

ConsJDSU business practice is to purchase companies, get as much out of them as possible and outsource what is left or dump it completely.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great people left in the Germantown Design group. Keep them.

Great first job

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsStarted straight out of college and have been lucky enough to have a great team to work with, decent hours, work from home when I'm not traveling

ConsSome of our operational tools need updating to increase work efficiency

Product Manager

Product Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat people, great products, great place to work in Morrisville, decent pay

Conschallenging work/life balance at times, lots of turn over, seem to operate Q-to-Q letting go great people while continuing to hire others. Lots of Sr Management changes

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize the culture. Trust in the people. Be more long-term thinking - stop the knee jerk reactions every quarter...

Small company trying to look big

Manager (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

Pros-The work from home is a perk
    -free gym, benefits are decent, always work to be done

ConsWorkload is heavy
    Understaffed
    Leadership team that doesn't make concrete decisions.
    Internal promotions are hard to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementStop waffling and make some decisions. Promote within.

Buys small companies and outsources them to make more money

Production Coordinator (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsBig company, lots of cash flow. Did provide a decent severance to those who were displaced.

ConsDon't seem to care about employees. Climate in the the Germantown MD. facility is toxic (figuratively speaking)

Very competitive and at time Chaotic

Makreting Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHigh tech, good industry, learning

ConsBureaucratic, no clear vision, to many chefs

Great flexibility, Good work environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork environment is pretty good. You get a lot of flexibility. Good life/work balance.

ConsThe jobs are not challenging. Your ideas are not being considered. Some times, the projects gets end up using primitive technologies. There are no processes in place. Unable to get more projects. Existing projects are getting expired/closed.

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!