JDSU Reviews

196 reviews filtered by
2.7
JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every team and functional area at JDSU runs a little bit differently. Because it has grown by acquisition there are many cultures under the surface of its corporate identity. I've found that this translates into being able to make of any situation what I will, as long as my boss goes along with it. For people who want to learn new skills it's a great place to be, while challenging due to being in a very competitive market space.

Cons

Chaos and a culture more of a frat house than a boardroom. The company is splitting into 2 companies right now and communication is either lacking or arrives all at once without much context. Some coordination at the source would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Make decisions based on well-informed opinions and factual evidence. Don't let your ego or your gut be your guide. Be more transparent with your decisions and stand behind them when challenged.

Program Manager Talent Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, solid people. Interesting products. Fascinating global environment.

Cons

They are demanding, and the only thing you get for completing one project it another project. They rarely say thank you, or give praise.

Advice to Management

Allow more fun at work, celebrate the wins more with people, allow a few luxuries for people. maybe an espresso machine, lunches out or something. Don't be afraid to say thank you. People need to hear that every once in awhile even if they are quite senior in a company.

3. Strong Company, Silicon Valley culture

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Strong, cash-flow positive business with good engineering focus on future needs of customers

Cons

Micromanaged by California based HQ

A long history with company but now being shown the door due to upcoming split

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are great, had a few good managers
    Compensation and benefits are good
    Ability to work remotely was a huge plus
    Company has some really cool products and services, the leader in many markets.
    Really nice working with remote teams that spanned the globe

Cons

Past few years in IT org definitely felt like an expendable "resource".
    IT department is race to the bottom, to the point of crassness. Very uninspiring, low moral.
    Not uncommon to work 60 hour weeks. 80 hr/week on bigger projects.
    Zero career guidance or development from management, though some training funds available. You were 100% on your own to stay marketable and relevant.
    States side IT org whittled down to the bone, except for the boom of on/off-shored hiring within past 3-4 years via Indian.

Advice to Management

Sadly none to give that will make a difference.

Bad company getting what it deserves

Former Employee - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just a paycheck, nothing more.

Cons

I can see how some of these negative comments could be seen as sour grapes. However, as a former JDSU employee, I can assure you that the great majority are valid. Whether they intend to or not, management as a whole comes across as uncaring and completely dysfunctional. No one knows what anyone else is doing, and no one cares. It's this dysfunction that's led to the company's current problems, and it's no more than they deserve. Treat your employees badly, business suffers in the long run, and this is what you get. Trouble is, no one at JDSU ever cared about the long run.

Advice to Management

None that would help you now.

7. Slowly improving....

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time. Plenty of new software opportunities, rather than updating or maintaining old code.

Cons

It was primarily a hardware and instrument company and the company is transitioning to a software company. It is learning how to develop, so mostly the challenges around mistake and mismanagement around that...

The company doesn't really grow in value other than through acquisitions.

Bad Company

Former Employee - Support Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Pay well, htey have good benefits, the buildings are good.

Cons

Dont care about their employees lives or anything other than making their numbers

Advice to Management

Care more about their employees

Continuing a long, slow downhill slide

Former Employee - Test and Reliability Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Test and Reliability Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

People in the local office were good to work with.
    The product developed in the local office used to be good.

Cons

The "leaders" out in California treat the people in the satellite offices like so much junk. They are so focused on making JDSU a global company that they will happily gut or close down North American offices to free up head count and open up non-profitable offices overseas. Then, someone realizes that they need more people in the North American offices (so they can actually make some money) which leads to more hiring. After a time someone flips a coin, or rolls some dice, or consults that stars and decides that they have too many North American employees and then here comes the layoffs again. Before I got out I witnessed someone get an award for staying late and going the extra mile only to be laid off the following week.

The "leaders" out in California micromanage the satellite offices. The guys in the division that handles DSL equipment aren't free to go out and design the next gen version of the product because they have to make sure it supports the needs and wants of the guys in the cable group and everybody else who even thinks that they might want to leverage the new product.

When I was there they were actively trying to move more and more testing duties to the Chinese offices but this didn't really help anyone (except maybe the Chinese) because you spent all your time training them since they had no familiarity with the product or how it gets used.

There was a wage freeze in place for my local office when I was there. No one got a raise, not even a cost of living increase, in my final two years with them. I don't know if this policy is still in effect now or not.

Advice to Management

Let the satellite offices do their jobs. Don't say you want a low cost product and then demand that all of these high-end features (which drive the cost up) get put into it. Don't impose highly detailed documentation requirements on all projects and then act surprised when no one can keep up with those demands because they aren't allowed to increase head count. Treat people with respect and don't lay people off at the drop of a hat.

10. Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Learned what real engineering is all about. I was able to run some tests and get a feel for design testing. I also learned how to communicate with a large group of engineers.

Cons

There were very few downsides to my experience at JDSU. The largest downside was the commute, at times it could take well over an hour.

I was with them for 14 years at a Director and Senior Management level. I also worked in 4 different locations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

It allowed me to move around North America. The team I wor with was very professional and highly competent.

Cons

The current Management Team has no confidence in the employees and will not allow any decision without their approval. It is crippling the Optical division.
    It is being run like it was a garage company and not a publicly traded company

Advice to Management

I would empower the team to make the good business decisions they are capable of. The lack of respect given to these professionals is obviously holding them back.