JDSU

Updated February 21, 2015
2.9

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Slowly improving....

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time. Plenty of new software opportunities, rather than updating or maintaining old code.

Cons

It was primarily a hardware and instrument company and the company is transitioning to a software company. It is learning how to develop, so mostly the challenges around mistake and mismanagement around that...

The company doesn't really grow in value other than through acquisitions.

Bad Company

Former Employee - Support Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Pay well, htey have good benefits, the buildings are good.

Cons

Dont care about their employees lives or anything other than making their numbers

Care more about their employees

Continuing a long, slow downhill slide

Former Employee - Test and Reliability Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Test and Reliability Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

People in the local office were good to work with.
    The product developed in the local office used to be good.

Cons

The "leaders" out in California treat the people in the satellite offices like so much junk. They are so focused on making JDSU a global company that they will happily gut or close down North American offices to free up head count and open up non-profitable offices overseas. Then, someone realizes that they need more people in the North American offices (so they can actually make some money) which leads to more hiring. After a time someone flips a coin, or rolls some dice, or consults that stars and decides that they have too many North American employees and then here comes the layoffs again. Before I got out I witnessed someone get an award for staying late and going the extra mile only to be laid off the following week.

The "leaders" out in California micromanage the satellite offices. The guys in the division that handles DSL equipment aren't free to go out and design the next gen version of the product because they have to make sure it supports the needs and wants of the guys in the cable group and everybody else who even thinks that they might want to leverage the new product.

When I was there they were actively trying to move more and more testing duties to the Chinese offices but this didn't really help anyone (except maybe the Chinese) because you spent all your time training them since they had no familiarity with the product or how it gets used.

There was a wage freeze in place for my local office when I was there. No one got a raise, not even a cost of living increase, in my final two years with them. I don't know if this policy is still in effect now or not.

Let the satellite offices do their jobs. Don't say you want a low cost product and then demand that all of these high-end features (which drive the cost up) get put into it. Don't impose highly detailed documentation requirements on all projects and then act surprised when no one can keep up with those demands because they aren't allowed to increase head count. Treat people with respect and don't lay people off at the drop of a hat.

I was with them for 14 years at a Director and Senior Management level. I also worked in 4 different locations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU

Pros

It allowed me to move around North America. The team I wor with was very professional and highly competent.

Cons

The current Management Team has no confidence in the employees and will not allow any decision without their approval. It is crippling the Optical division.
    It is being run like it was a garage company and not a publicly traded company

I would empower the team to make the good business decisions they are capable of. The lack of respect given to these professionals is obviously holding them back.

Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Learned what real engineering is all about. I was able to run some tests and get a feel for design testing. I also learned how to communicate with a large group of engineers.

Cons

There were very few downsides to my experience at JDSU. The largest downside was the commute, at times it could take well over an hour.

Calling all workhorses....this place is for you!

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

People are genuinely nice and there are many opportunities to learn from some exceptional people, especially in IT. Some departments have flexible work hours and allow their people to work from home part time. But there are no 40-hr per week jobs at this company.

Cons

There are too many expectations on far too few people. Excessive outsourcing to low-cost regions takes a huge toll on the the people in the US who have to work around the clock to make that outsourcing somewhat successful. Sometimes Management says thank you, but the situation doesn't improve.

Company needs some new leaders with proven track records.

No long term vision.... hopefully changing with the restructuring

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Great co-workers. Dedicated and professional team. Decent benefits and compensation.

Cons

Manage quarter to quarter. Missed numbers in a quarter means layoffs. No patience for longer term projects that require ramp time. No long term vision.
    Cumbersome processes relative to available resource bandwidth.
    Organizational silos means even growing product lines and business units have cuts made to supporting organizations - left hand not talking to right. Why grow a product line if you can't service, sell or support it?

You have an opportunity with the upcoming restructuring - don't waste it.

Short lived experience

Current Contractor - Logistics Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Contractor - Logistics Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at JDSU as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers and enjoyable hours

Cons

Cliques are a big trend in this office.

Being more forthcoming and clear in messages would greatly improve the confusion around this office.

The best place I've worked, with incredibly talented colleagues... can leadership get its act together please?

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* JDSU is what you make it. The culture is much more personal and caring than a typical Silicon Valley engineering company. There are opportunities for people to really personalize their job roles in the direction of their own natural preferences. If you're good at what you do and are accountable to get things done, you can often "write your own ticket".
    * The engineers and specialists are outstanding in terms of both technical skills and attitudes (in general). Management skills have generally lagged behind technical skill development, and have only recently has there been any focus on helping managers be more than glorified supervisors. More consistent manager courses have begun to teach managers basic skills
    * There is a strong work ethic everywhere in the company. Work/life balance comes up a lot on employee surveys and is something company leadership addresses continually. Teams and individuals influence their own work cadence.
    * Despite a tough market, there are growth opportunities both in new jobs, new skills, and interesting projects that come up based on customer needs. Having a strong network internally helps to highlight these opportunities when they happen.

Cons

* Leadership is driven more by ego than good business sense. Senior leaders are not on the same page and barely communicate with each other. The culture is as good as it is in spite of them not because of them.
    * Decisions often based on whatever the highest ranking person in the room is thinking.. .that day. It's clear which executives care about the company and which care only about their own bonus payment or next job. Not sure whether they're not very smart or they think we're not very bright.
    * Promotions don't come along very often, they're usually driven by unusual events or reorganizations or power plays. Good training opportunities, but usually not enough time in the day to take advantage of them.
    * Silos, silos, silos!!! Business functions and tech teams often don't talk to each other. Information is not shared or assumptions are made the send people running off in different directions.

Be a team. If you can get along with one another, it'll be easier for everyone on your direct report teams to do the same. If you want people to have work/life balance, have some yourselves. If you want people to be improving their skills, improve yours. We can tell what's important to you based on what you're actually doing, then we do that for ourselves. Be good examples. Lead.

Very talented people & good work environment, but hard to meet business expectations

Former Employee - Network & Service Enablement Business in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Network & Service Enablement Business in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People were very talented and willing to coach and train others
    Very flexible on work hours
    Vision for the company was reasonable, but was taking longer than desired.

Cons

Intense focus on quarterly results.
    It felt as if there were many teams, not necessarily one company or one business unit.
    They depended on too few critical people to make things happen

Growth areas need sustained investment or they can't take hold.
    Too many execs hired from the outside....need to cultivate more from within.