JDSU Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I wouldn't recommend it.

Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Shortly after acquiring our company, JDSU was quite diligent in making sure that we had sufficient training to use their tools and software.

Cons

Our local site management was good. Unfortunately, the direction and leadership that we received from the corporate office were very bad. I had the impression that the corporate office didn't see us as anything other than a cost center and they handled us poorly at that. Costly decisions were mandated from corporate that were extremely wasteful and seemed to be doomed to failure. Inputs from our local leaders to improve a process or minimize risk seemed to just bounce off corporate.

Spend more time visiting the remote sites and have a real clear idea of what is happening there prior to making decisions that will implact or require the buy-in from these sites.

getting tough

Current Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people that work hard

Cons

Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening. Managers are just following orders

It is getting tough to keep everyone happy with less help, there is some fear with layoffs. seems that managers are working to keep bosses happy but cant help employees due to lack of time and availability

Great People

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn from experts in many technical fields

Cons

responsibilities beyond job description. Management Style

Don't overwork your people

Transition and direction is not clear

Former Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Germantown, MD

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Basic benefits are competitive. Salaries are lower with respect to expectations.

Cons

There is a communication gap between the executives and director levels and it is highly political. Company is getting stuck in process.

Check with the guys doing the actual work to see what they need. Work with those closest to the problem versus ladder climbing individuals.

Beware!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO with great vision and approach. Good compensation package.

Cons

Division leaders are not in the same class as the CEO. Micro manage but talk about delegation and accountability but there is a serious lack of both. No home life balance and there's a lot of talk but the division leader behavior contradicts it. Leaders are indecisive.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Support Services Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Support Services Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and lots of friends. There are training opportunities but you've got to ask for it.
    My position involves lots of traveling for business so I have the opportunity to travel round the country.

Cons

JDSU is involved in a lots of outsourcing, acquisition and mergers resulting in department and employee lay offs. Also not enough raises.

Good.

I have been working at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Managers are helpful, Internship program was organized

Cons

Interns do expect some gifts while leaving:)

Internship program should be 12week program. Interns should get some gifts !!

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing I experienced at this company was that I was paid very well compared to previous jobs. But now that I am on my own I am getting more.

Cons

Where do I start? There's no celebration of success internally. In most instances, when someone got promoted in my department, there was no announcement. We all found out months later, as if the company were trying to hide it. What I came to see is that most of those promotions were politically motivated and not deserved, so maybe hiding it was a good idea on management's part. There is no career development, no matter what HR tries to tell you. They put together some sad little program where they have speakers come in every month and talk to us, and they call that career development. Really? It's not career development, and in the last couple of months, it's not even well-executed. Lastly, JDSU is a company that manages its workforce using continuous layoffs because management is so bad that they can't find a way to make layoffs unnecessary. That would be called "good management". We all understand that even in the best companies, layoffs are sometimes necessary. But layoffs should be a last resort, not a workforce management tool.

When you use layoffs as a workforce management tool, all you're doing is creating a culture of fear. If you really care about the culture and morale of your company, manage your company well from the executive level down so that layoffs are no longer part of regular life, but only happen when there's no other option. There's no better way to create trust. If layoffs are happening continuously because there really is no other option, then you are creating a destructive cycle and maybe it's time to shut the doors.

Started great, steady and constant decline ever since

Current Employee - Engineer in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Germantown, MD

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some of the greatest people, lots of personal freedom, great products. Culture at the worker level is top-notch. Vacation policy is discretionary which allows for tons of free time so long as your manager approves it (the low level managers are great).

Cons

Too many layers of management, penny-pinching, un-trusting mid and senior level management, very little growth or lateral move opportunity, no training, low salary increases, low bonuses. Careers often feel stagnated or stalled after a few years.

remove layers of management, concentrate on employees and their training/growth, work towards long-term and not just near-term "lean" savings, invest in proven technology areas versus stripping them down to invest in "potential" markets for growth

JDSU

Current Employee - Production Technician in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

JDSU maintains a diverse workforce.

Cons

JDSU treats all employees like chattle.

Figure out what your employees actually do.