JDSU

Updated November 19, 2014
2.9

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting place

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

condusive environment, well organized, well compensated

Cons

often travelling and too much work sometime

reduce travelling

Good.

I have been working at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Managers are helpful, Internship program was organized

Cons

Interns do expect some gifts while leaving:)

Internship program should be 12week program. Interns should get some gifts !!

A Good Review, In Spite of JDSU

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed learning about, and being a contributor to, the technology and its applications for everyday products.
    The corporate culture was open, friendly, and helpful - a singular occurrence these days.
    I was able to grow my career and develop new skills

Cons

Too many computer systems and software - every time JDSU bought another company, we'd have to learn and incorporate their system and methods.
    JDSU's corporate culture was systematically eroding the friendly atmosphere of our division (Custom Optics, Santa Rosa, CA). The homogenization process will remove the essential core of what made OCLI successful.

Allow the smaller companies bought to maintain their individuality. They were, presumably, purchased because of their success and product. Removing unique corporate character will inevitably harm both.

JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

Cons

Change is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Keep striving to win. Stay the course.

Great place to work... challenging, but rewarding

I have been working at JDSU full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference, JDSU makes an impact on the most important things in life

Cons

Due to the markets we are in... there are often changes that occur quickly and with little notice, which makes planning difficult.

A Breath of Fresh Air!!

I have been working at JDSU full-time

Pros

JDSU is a very advanced and dynamic organisation which is constantly adapting. Having previously worked for a very strictly regimented organisation, JDSU has been a breath of fresh air. The people are friendly, helpful and extremly supportive and all show an extremely realistic attitude. I would recommend JDSU to anyone willing and able to adapt to change and evolve with the company.

Cons

The only downsde to JDSU is its lack of consistency of process across its regions due to global legislation, etc, as well as during constant change. As long as you are adaptable and open then its easy to work with.

Ensure consistency on the ground and promote and retain employee motiviation during great change.

best place I ever worked

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Bloomfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Bloomfield, NJ

I worked at JDSU

Pros

very professional, great pay, nice people to work with

Cons

upper management does not care about the little guy

come down and talk to us some time

I am happy to work in an environment that I can develop myself.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

It is very important to be the your own boss when you are working on things and deciding what to do next with feedback from your manager.

Cons

It is probably very common in the market but that there are stringent time limitations to come up with something new that can be applied right away.

The leaders should realize and tell business managers about what is though and why things might take longer and needs more time and effort.

I like it

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Benefits good relax, difficult, challenging,good ,people, innovative, bold, nice, close, people, clean people
    , good people, nice people, happy people

Cons

Outsourcing hurts the moral of evey sigle employee and I beleive will hurt the company in the it future endevers

Continue to get feedback from employees because they know whats will work in the company and do not rely on outsourcing

JDSU is a very exciting place to work, and Management is very focused on employee engagement.

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

The business is growing rapidly and proliferating. As a technology leader, JDSU values the importance of innovation. Innovation is a priority and management is committed and invested in being the best. Management also has a high degree of focus on employee engagement and growth. Career development and leadership training are a priority.

Cons

The business units at JDSU work very hard. You are judged on what you deliver, not effort. There is not much room for failure.

As we continue to grow as a company, we need to continue to focus on employee engagement. Career development and leadership training is integral to our success.