JDSU Reviews

Reset
5.0
JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • JDSU provides a very reasonable work/life balance with discretionary time off plan (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• The main focus of the JDSU senior management team is to make "the street" happy (in 6 reviews)

1. Lovin' it...

Current Employee - Confidential in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Confidential in Germantown, MD

Pros

JDSU continues to be a leader in the industry and continues to grow. I feel that career opportunities are available for employees who work hard and show interest in moving forward and up in the organization. People are treated fairly and with respect... One of the reasons I love working for JDSU is the flexibility with work and life balance. I've always felt comfortable and not worried when I need to take personal time off for doctors appointments, vacation, etc... There is trust in me that I will get my job done - which makes me trust in my management team.

Cons

I really can't think of any true "downsides" of working at JDSU. Perhaps the one thing I can think of is constant change... but that depends on how well you embrace change. I personally would feel bored if things stayed status quo and can count on a new challenge everyday. If you do not like change - this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing...

2. Hard work is rewarded. Tolerating a little stress pays serious dividends in the long run.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Germantown, MD

Pros

Competitive team atmosphere. Management staff who really care about your performance and job satisfaction. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Exciting & dynamic environment...never a dull moment. Company functions you won't beat anywhere else outside the Beltway. If you're ok with existing in a constant state of flux where your job is never the same two days in a row, JDSU is the place for you.

Cons

Stressful and fast paced. "Trial by fire" / very steep learning curve for those without an engineering background. It certainly isn't for everyone. Low morale as a result of layoffs and the current economic environment.

Advice to Management

Please right the ship. I love working here.

It is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Challenging work atmosphere. You are given freedom to try new things Good management structure

Cons

Very stressful work atmosphere Too many management changes

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. I like it

Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Benefits good relax, difficult, challenging,good ,people, innovative, bold, nice, close, people, clean people , good people, nice people, happy people

Cons

Outsourcing hurts the moral of evey sigle employee and I beleive will hurt the company in the it future endevers

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from employees because they know whats will work in the company and do not rely on outsourcing

I am happy to work in an environment that I can develop myself.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in San Jose, CA

Pros

It is very important to be the your own boss when you are working on things and deciding what to do next with feedback from your manager.

Cons

It is probably very common in the market but that there are stringent time limitations to come up with something new that can be applied right away.

Advice to Management

The leaders should realize and tell business managers about what is though and why things might take longer and needs more time and effort.

7. best place I ever worked

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Bloomfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Bloomfield, NJ

Pros

very professional, great pay, nice people to work with

Cons

upper management does not care about the little guy

Advice to Management

come down and talk to us some time

8. Great place to work... challenging, but rewarding

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference, JDSU makes an impact on the most important things in life

Cons

Due to the markets we are in... there are often changes that occur quickly and with little notice, which makes planning difficult.

9. JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

Cons

Change is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to win. Stay the course.

A Good Review, In Spite of JDSU

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed learning about, and being a contributor to, the technology and its applications for everyday products. The corporate culture was open, friendly, and helpful - a singular occurrence these days. I was able to grow my career and develop new skills

Cons

Too many computer systems and software - every time JDSU bought another company, we'd have to learn and incorporate their system and methods. JDSU's corporate culture was systematically eroding the friendly atmosphere of our division (Custom Optics, Santa Rosa, CA). The homogenization process will remove the essential core of what made OCLI successful.

Advice to Management

Allow the smaller companies bought to maintain their individuality. They were, presumably, purchased because of their success and product. Removing unique corporate character will inevitably harm both.

11. Good.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at JDSU as an intern

Pros

Managers are helpful, Internship program was organized

Cons

Interns do expect some gifts while leaving:)

Advice to Management

Internship program should be 12week program. Interns should get some gifts !!

RSS Feed </> Embed