JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week(in 9 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are overworked - no work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers(in 10 reviews)

Company grew through acquisitions, so really depends on which site/group you are a part of.

ProsCurrent CEO has done a good job over the past 5 years integrating all of the different sites to be more unified - one culture, improved communication, common goals.
    Pretty reasonable/flexible work schedule - heavy when critical deadlines, more relaxed when things are slower, not constant sweatshop.
    Diverse in terms of products/technology and sites/locations - opportunity to move around if you want to try something new by moving internally.

ConsHR is unimpressive - no real concept of employee development/career paths, managers a lot of times on their own to handle their reports, have seen improvements over past couple of years though.
    Saw a lot of hiring from outside at higher management levels, rather than promoting/growing leaders from within.

Lots of people who care and want to do well for themselves and the business unit.

ProsGreat people within the business unit and excellent solutions.

ConsNew management can't harness talent of existing team

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people and you will be successful

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall office environment, everyone knows everyone well.

ConsNothing much to complaint except they decided to close down the office in Penang.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well managed and structured sales organization - desire to be great

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBrand recognition, invested in providing sales force with resources to succeed (demo equipment, expenses, training, etc) , sales management. Solid comp plans.

ConsProduct quality dipping in places. Top line management making some questionable roadmap decisions. Lot of outsiders coming in and long term talent departing.

Advice to Senior ManagementNSE: Don't lose sight of our core competency for designing and selling top quality telecom instrumentation

Empty Promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGreat Products! Has Potential with room for improvements

ConsConstant layoffs even if you are doing an outstanding job. Still outsourcing jobs. It is hard to believe your management, when they say one thing and do another.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will have a hard time getting people to work at JDSU if you are not willing to stop the constant layoffs. Also, look closer at the people you are laying off. It seems that you are too top heavy and some management is lazy. Management likes to ignore internal problems or feedback since it may cause them more work.

A Good Review, In Spite of JDSU

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsI enjoyed learning about, and being a contributor to, the technology and its applications for everyday products.
    The corporate culture was open, friendly, and helpful - a singular occurrence these days.
    I was able to grow my career and develop new skills

ConsToo many computer systems and software - every time JDSU bought another company, we'd have to learn and incorporate their system and methods.
    JDSU's corporate culture was systematically eroding the friendly atmosphere of our division (Custom Optics, Santa Rosa, CA). The homogenization process will remove the essential core of what made OCLI successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the smaller companies bought to maintain their individuality. They were, presumably, purchased because of their success and product. Removing unique corporate character will inevitably harm both.

engineer

Manufacturing Engineer Staff (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

Prosgood environment, Friendly people, managers are reasonable and easy to deal with

Consa little bit heavy work load, not much career development

Has Potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, diverse portfolio of products.

ConsConstant Reductions in Force.... it never ends, be prepared even if you do a phenomenal job! Never ending cost reductions!

Advice to Senior Managementwith the never ending churn, it will be tough to become the company you say you want to be!

Nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Culture, friendly environment and location is good for San Jose folks.

ConsNot much growth. Too much focus on KPI and not on the actual work.

Not recommend for recent graduate. Recommend for people who get married & has a child.

Engineer (Current Employee) Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

ProsWork life balance. If you want your life easier, come here. You don't need to have much skills but can earn average salary. And you can stick at one position for 10 years+ and don't need to worry someone will replace you.

ConsRecent graduate please stay away from this company, they do not offer any career development here. Management positions are occupied by people who worked here by 5 years or more. And I am sure they won't give up their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs JDSU is keep expanding and acquiring other companies, please hire someone who can do the real management. Please care or at lease show your respect the staff's idea.

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!