JEA Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.2

Paul McElroy

One of the better employers in Jacksonville. Opportunity for excellent training and advancement.

I worked at JEA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits. Training opportunities and tuition reimbursement. Good opportunities for advancement in many of the departments.

Cons

This is a government agency, so many decisions are based on political considerations. Salary freezes are common, and changes in visions and targets are frequent. Most of the people in this company who are happy are the ones in the core businesses (delivering water, wastewater, and electric services). Those who work in customer service can be very frustrated because the messages from management are often unreasonable and impractical.

Community Growth and Individual Development

Former Employee - Customer Care Consultant Call Center  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Consultant Call Center in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at JEA full-time for less than a year

Pros

I think the best "inticement" JEA exhibits is the potential to lead as well as grow as a team member and Progressively advance in the company.

Cons

A very competitive and somewhat limited work environment. You must be self-motivated and ambitious to succeed.

Teach your employees by example and demonstrate confidence through your own successes.

I wish I had never taken this job to begin with.

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist Senior  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist Senior in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at JEA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are wonderful with lots of time off earned from the begining.

Cons

They prefer hiring from outside the company rather than promote from inside. Certain managment thrive on harasssing and belittling staff. Upper management turns a blind eye to some directors behavior. Pay raises are never more thatn 3%.

Stop letting management bully workers. You would have more productivity and a happier work place if you worked with us instead of trying to beat us down.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It depends upon your emotional maturity

Current Employee - Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at JEA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits, and the longevity

Cons

Lack of career movement, if you are appointed (Manager position or above) there are no raises. I have gone over 6 years without a pay increase.

Allow employees to move around, whether it's laterally or not. Hire within for open positions within the organization.

Loosing touch with the importance employee "perception", and very quick to put blame on someone else.

Current Employee - Foreman  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Foreman in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at JEA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SECURE company to work for with a good pension. Great leave policy. Lots of good workers that want to work.

Cons

To much focus on protecting the company and not developing the company. To much management. Health benefits are not as good as most would think.

A piece of paper doesn't make someone "qualified", have management buy into the leadership classes that you provide. Need to focus on employee moral. Protect the pension.

Former employee

I have been working at JEA

Pros

Great company to work for. Pension is amazing good benefits and leave plan . Most jobs have good work / life balance

Cons

Takes a long time to move up. Culture changing trying to do away with pension plan, which is one of the top reasons to work there

Good People, Advancement non existent

I have been working at JEA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pride of serving the community

Cons

Poor managers and lack of ability to upward

A large utility service provider with a small company mindset.

Former Employee - Meter Specialist  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Meter Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at JEA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Safety oriented, competitive pay compared to other jobs in area, union company

Cons

Management and Foreman roles don't always reflect their subordinate's responsibilities. For example: your foreman is in charge of you, but he/she has never done your job. Or your manager is in charge of an entire department that isn't 100% sure of how that department works or runs.

There should be less of a "put out fires" mentality and more of a "prevent fires" mentality. Don't wait for something to be wrong, prevent things from being wrong in the first place.

JEA was a great company to work for

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at JEA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We could work on many different types of projects and they listened to your suggestions. It was a great place to learn about different types of equipment and use team work to come up with solutions.

Cons

Lack of training for new people coming into the organization due to retiring employees. Used to go once a year for a training course but, that stopped due to cost savings.

Need to hire new employees and train them before the people retiring leave. Use teams of people from different job descriptions to come up with better solutions.

Fair to partly cloudy for most folks

Former Employee - Professional Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at JEA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is very good, as is job Security. Leave plans are very good, as is vatation days. Pretty good office arrangements, and occasional field work. JEA is allergic to allowing non-managers to train or travel (except for non-sensical in-house training in Covey stuff).

Cons

Slow moving. Inertia, both in terms of work and career opportunity. Training is essentially nil, as is any interaction with other Utilities, unless you are a manager.

Customers first. Employees second. Company third. Dogma, doctrine and doo-goody stuff third, or maybe thirtieth.

Worked for JEA? Contribute to the Community!