JET Program
www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/ Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

JET Program Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Pros:
  • "Depending on your placement, can be a great way to hone your professional skills"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Experience living in Japan and Japanese culture"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "As the programme organisers love to remind participants: every situation is different"
    in 6 reviews
  • "no chance of promotion or career advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Assistant Language Teacher

I worked at JET Program full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good salary for a position right out of college requiring no experience.
- Very good work/life balance. Normally done with work around 4:00pm with a decent amount of time off.
- Rewarding work

Cons-5 year limit
-No room to advance

Wonderful

I worked at JET Program

ProsA great experience for anyone

ConsWill sometimes be asked to play a very limited role, but still be expected to jump through a myriad of hoops with smiles and alacrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin on. Take a break every once and a while.

Best way to see Japan

I worked at JET Program full-time for more than a year

ProsBest way to see Japan and get to know the culture. Chances are you'll be placed somewhere in the countryside, so you'll be seeing parts of Japan that you'd probably never see as a normal tourist. If you like working with kids, this is a great opportunity. And you get paid really well for what you're asked to do.

ConsIf you don't like working with kids, this can be a challenge. Also, a lot of people find it difficult to be so far away from home in such a different culture. And many people find that their job in the classroom doesn't seem to have much effect, or that they're not permitted to do the things that they feel would have an effect.

While every situation is different, all in all, it's the teaching program with the best support in Japan.

I worked at JET Program

ProsHousing, and tax subsidies. Good work/life balance.

ConsSituation can vary school to school, and even teacher to teacher.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there were a way for those who want to stay on in teaching to increase their skills and responsibilities on the job, e.g. actual job progression and promotion.

Great opportunity to travel and teach!

I worked at JET Program full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTravel, live and work in a foreign country, meet new friends from all over the world and great teaching experience.

ConsSometimes hard to adapt to new work ethics and politics.

Good Experience

I worked at JET Program part-time

ProsMany, great way to get to Japan and travel

ConsMust be flexible in working with a different culture

alright, could be better

I worked at JET Program

Prosfor a great cause, international experience, a great way to get involved in another culture. despite taking a long time, most things are done on time and by the proposed deadlines

Consapplication process is way too long and drawn out. selection process seems really random and they dont really make it clear what theyre looking for.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it clear what you are looking for in your applicants so that so many people don't waste their time and your time

Great Stepping Stone

I worked at JET Program as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsThe JET Programme is described as being a very different experience for everyone and I think that is true. Generally speaking though I think in most cases a JET ALT has access to a supportive network (board of education, school(s), other JETs…).

In smaller towns JETs have many opportunities to immerse themselves in local events and culture.

Hours are nice, I rarely ever heard anyone working late hours.

ConsNot much training given about how to teach children before you start. May take a year or two become an effective ALT.

No opportunity for promotion or long-term employment, at least in terms of the JET Programme. If you enter the program you should really have a plan for your next step after JET, this may be particularly difficult for fresh university graduates adapting to a new culture and language.

Life changing cultural experience; the actual teaching aspect, however, is less than satisfying.

I worked at JET Program full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are someone who craves a completely new experience and finds themselves drawn to foreign cultures, then you must go to Japan. The opportunity to live there for a couple years and totally immerse yourself cannot be passed up. You will get enough money to allow you to travel and live comfortably.

ConsYou have no choice where you will be places—most often it will be in a rural or semi-rural setting. Teaching is hard, tiring, and not always fulfilling. Japanese people are kind and polite and unlike any other people in the world, but the experience can be lonely at times, especially several months in when you are dealing with full-blown culture shock.

Excellent international ESL program

I have been working at JET Program

ProsGood pay and a fun experience.

ConsJET program generally places you in the countryside so don't expect to be placed in a city.

Worked for JET Program? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JET Program reviews and ratings. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by JET Program employees.