JJB Sports Reviews

3.2
JJB Sports Chief Executive Dave Forsey
Dave Forsey

1. JJB Sports

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Coleraine, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Coleraine, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount was great. It was novel working in a sports shop. Oppertunites for training in different departments such as bikes, golf, etc.

Cons

You would never get away on time. Quite often you would have to stay 10 - 15 minutes after closing time and wouldn't get paid for this.

Advice to Management

Store managers and supervisors great. Keep up the great work and the friendly team environment. Keep doing what you are doing.

2. Warehouse Worker

Pros

Paid the bills, early morning hours

Cons

Very Hot Warehouse during the summer, had to wear safety equipment which didn't help.

Advice to Management

Aircon!

3. A fair employer for the industry.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a part time member of staff while I was at university this was an excellent weekend job for the flexibility and hours. My colleague were great fun and targeted towards doing a good job for every customer.

Cons

The shop and facilities were poor and outdated.

Advice to Management

5. My employment was target driven with a positive team atmosphere.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed team leaders who offer support and on-site training when necessary. Like minded employees with a passion for health and sport. Re-arranging shifts were easier than previous employment.

Cons

The target driven nature sometimes led to stress and arguments among employees as some were better salesman than others.

Advice to Management

Reduce the emphasis upon targets and offer greater support to those less confident salesman with short, on-site tips and advice. This would build confidence, improve morale and build a sense of team rather than competitiveness.

6. creative...innovative and fun

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed working for JJB as the work life balance was great. I enjoyed my team and my stores. I had the flexibility or part and full time work as and when I requested as I was a student at University so during term time I worked at the store convienent for me while at uni and then in the summer when I moved back to my parents I worked at the store at home almost full time.

Cons

Sometimes work overloaded and this was a struggle during busy periods like school holidays. Sometimes health and safety became a little risky by where delivery and the stock room were just chaos!

Advice to Management

If your motivated and have a fun approach to running your store and creating a positive climate...you are guaranteed success. THe ability to make a job fast paced and keep your staff on target be it sales orientated or managing your shop floor ....excellence...James Winterton best manager by far!

7. It was a good job to have alongside my studies - flexible hours and, as a sales assistant, not too much pressure!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Gravesend, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Gravesend, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible hours - more hours if they're available - sometimes more responsibility e.g. acted as superviser and assistant manager when store was understaffed - almost all tasks are self-explanatory so not too much training required

Cons

- as with all retails jobs, the customers sometimes! - the wage wasn't great but as a 19-20 year old studying it was good pocket money to complement my student loan - the area was know for its high crime rate, so we had to be vigilant and trained about security procedures - sometimes the store was very quiet, and as a shop there isn't much else to do once you've tidied up. I was sometime bored. Conversely, sometimes very hectic!

Advice to Management

The area manager came to visit fairly regularly so was a familiar face to employees. I felt he was approachable and would take on any suggestions raised. My only criticism was that he wore such obviously expensive suits that others felt that he was flaunting his status as area manager.

8. It changed me as a person

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I developed as a person dramatically and learned great communication and team leading skills. My co-workers were great and there was a great team feel. My boss was an amazing person and helped me to become more confident.

Cons

Targets were difficult to meet due to many obstacles. Buses were a nightmare to use all the time. The staff facilities needed improving.

Advice to Management

Take into account that customers are people too.

9. Best to avoid if you're a Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bedford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bedford, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* One manager was okay. * Good friendly customers.

Cons

* Bad co-workers. * This bit of this website does not work. "Approve of the CEO?" Buttons are linked wrong. * Alot of micro-management. * No career progression. * No extra pay for overtime.

Advice to Management

* Change!

10. Terrible, told off for discussing work related topics, no training, poor management, given the jobs no one else wanted.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at JJB Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good reason was that I had discount prices for the clothing that I occasionally liked.

Cons

If your face didn't fit then you had no chance of progressing forward, lots of bad comments and judgement made behind your back. Employed their friends which made the company go down hill, eventually closing down.

Advice to Management

Take on motivated employee's who care about the company and it's values. Employ sporty men and women who know what they are talking about and also know how to sell an item. Customer service is everything.

11. Terrible pay, poor management.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at JJB Sports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some staff are very friendly, easy to get on with and you make friends.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the managers are useless, the stock is terrible and the customers know it! Definitely avoid!

Advice to Management

Close!

RSS Feed </> Embed