JK Group Reviews

2.1
Robert E. Farina

1. Signs of Life

I have been working at JK Group part-time

Pros

Very interesting and Challenging place to work. Lots of smart people to work with.

Cons

You never really know where you stand.

Advice to Management

Keep going, you are almost there.

2. Bad. Used to be great. Then was horrible; somewhat improved.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at JK Group

Pros

Kind of a cool idea that in theory should really be an attractive proposition to prospective customers.

Cons

In 2010 the company was purchased by a private equity group. The incoming CEO was about as inept and out of his league as anyone I've ever seen. The board took a while, but they fired him 2-3 years later. His replacement has been better. But there's still little trust between the board/senior management and the employees. My sense is that the founders -- who were terrific and really understood the nuances of the business -- somehow enticed the buyers to wildly overpay. Since the acquistion, it's been one financial crunch after another here.

Advice to Management

The world of gift-matching has changed drastically in the past few years. You guys seem to have your heads in the sand. Also, be very careful streamliningg/automating the manual processes that have worked for years here -- it's not as simple as you guys seem to think and that is why you have had such a hard time with this.

3. Don

I worked at JK Group

Pros

New building and flexible desks.

Cons

Don't expect appreciation for good work, or any Christmas bonus.

5. Controller

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at JK Group

Pros

Growing company, lots of users, high impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world.

Cons

Not an easy job, changes impact millions of users which can sometimes be very stressful

Advice to Management

I would recommend this company to a friend - I'm optimistic about the outlook

Great industry, terrible work environment

I have been working at JK Group

Pros

It's a great industry, paired with working with an amazing client base who care about their jobs and the community. There are no pros for actually working for this company now.

Cons

I loved working here before the company was purchased by an investment bank. The new executives came in and cared only about the bottom line. They thought they new better than everyone who was there for years, and subsequently watched the company go down in flames. They're still struggling to get it back, but it could be too late. There is no work/life balance. If you work 100 hours a week, you still cannot get your tasks done on time. Upper management could not care less if you lost everything trying to do a good job.

Advice to Management

My advice, years ago, would have been to listen to the people who have worked there for years. They know the business, they know the clients. Unfortunately, it may be too late. There's no one left to listen to and the company may have fallen to far to be recovered. Senior Management, you are the reason this company flopped. You are arrogant and ignorant and I hope you realize that you took a lot away from a lot of people.

7. Beware All Who Enter Here

Former Employee - Various in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Various in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at JK Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Basic mission statement is great. Remaining staff friendly. Good location.

Cons

Poor management. No regard for employees - only bottom line. People fired frequently - often large amounts at a time. I worked there over 8 years. Original owners were the best. Knew the business and cared about their employees and clients. We worked hard but it was satisfying. Now there is a sense of fear and uncertainty. Too many good people gone and a great company in ruins

Advice to Management

Value your employees and keep your word

8. Interesting Experience

I worked at JK Group full-time

Pros

Interesting industry with positive upside.

Cons

Needs help refining processes and procedrues

9. Sinking Ship - Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro Center, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro Center, NJ

I worked at JK Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Noble purpose. The feeling that what you are doing is benefitting people. Semi-flexible schedules. Not 24x7 Casual attire and atmosphere

Cons

CTO is in way over his head. Doesn't truly understand technology and does everything he can to NOT have his name on anything so as to avoid any possible blame. British guy is pompus and treats everyone, even people he needs help from, like crap. The "old" bread-n-butter product is a hunk of junk but it needs to be remembered that it is the money maker. the "new" product is being deveopled in a waterfall-type of build methodology which has proven to be a failure with the off-shore development team. The CTO micromanages, and manages to even do that badly. Frequent layoffs, news of an impending sale, and reports of poor company performance have devastated morale.

Advice to Management

Recognize the dead wood, even in the management ranks, and cut your losses. Focus some attention on making the old product better rather than developing something completely new. Sell the company already!

10. Changes

I have been working at JK Group

Pros

The staff is hardworking and wants success

Cons

work-life balance, leadership and overall office culture

Advice to Management

Listen

11. Hands down worst company I have ever worked for. The words "integrity,honesty and respect " are non-existent

Former Employee - Professional Services in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at JK Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is no micromanagement for the most part

Cons

The Executive Team management team don't care about the employees. They are highly disposable. Job responsibilities will be changed without respect to the position applied for. Women are treated as second class citizens as seen by the Executive makeup. Employees are told to lie to clients on a daily basis. Company is in severe financial crisis.... benefits constantly being taken away from employees to support the executive team's 6 figure salary. No profits for nearly 2 years

Advice to Management

Get your act together and come up with a plan instead of just seeing how it goes. You are gambling with the livelihood of many. Show respect to those that run the company..... be honest and care... for Gods sake you support philanthropic ventures- at least pretend to know what that means.

RSS Feed </> Embed